You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lower limits.

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hey everyone.

Still trying to make my game more consistent and am wondering about all in bets.

For all you players out there making money consistently at these levels, do you totally avoid all in calls unless you're say 90% certain you've got a lock on the hand?

Sometimes unless i'm totally sure i will just fold even a pretty good hand and this seems to be saving me money/helping me avoid variance.

Opinions? Am i possibly missing value by being cautious?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I usually go all in when i think im 51% fave :) obv it helps if ur more and the ur win more the bigger fave u get in each time 
  • edited May 2012
    Is that a serious post? You go all in anything even slightly better than evens?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Lower limits.:
    Is that a serious post? You go all in anything even slightly better than evens?
    Posted by Pipunch
    It makes sense, if you play the hand a million times you still make money over time (before rake, anyway). If I could be 52% favourite every single time I went all in, I'd take it all day long.

Generally, if you think you're going to make more money (or lose less money in some cases) over time by calling all in than by folding, go for it.
  • edited May 2012
    If you're always going all in with 51% equity or more you're always going to make money - however, this is probably very difficult to calculate at the time, especially on Sky with no timelimit and if you're multi tabling it's even more difficult - I wouldn't stove every single slightly difficult spot you're in unless you really have time to do so, just roughly calculate

I've played 25nl for too long now and I'm winning quite a bit, I don't just go all in if I'm 90%, that's just ridic, if I'm convinced I'm good in a spot with more than 50% equity vs villains perceived range then I'll just go with it - but then again you don't need to have over 50% equity - semi bluffs with say 30-40% equity are very effective esp vs good regs. I think it's stupid to say I need a certain amount of equity to go all in because youll probz lose value
  • edited May 2012
    I tend to go with the thinking stronger hand for calling weaker hand for shoving for my own... well sometimes. Readless I doubt I call all in shoves with less than two pair, but really depends when the shove happens and what the board looks like. If I think I'm likely to be ahead its a call as the others have said as it works out over time even if not on that one hand.
  • edited May 2012
    I doubt I call all in shoves with less than two pair
    Posted by KAM99
    I'm shoving on your Big Blind every single hand from now on :) 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Lower limits. : I'm shoving on your Big Blind every single hand from now on :) 
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Ah, but on a blind shove I'll count two pair as my pair of aces and your pair of garbage :D
  • edited May 2012
    I think the answer to your post is you need to grow a pair.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Lower limits.:
    Hey everyone. Still trying to make my game more consistent and am wondering about all in bets. For all you players out there making money consistently at these levels, do you totally avoid all in calls unless you're say 90% certain you've got a lock on the hand? Sometimes unless i'm totally sure i will just fold even a pretty good hand and this seems to be saving me money/helping me avoid variance. Opinions? Am i possibly missing value by being cautious?
    Posted by Pipunch
    Don't think there's any straight answer to this. There are players out there at nl4 who I'd call with TPTK, there are players out there who you could call with the 2nd nuts and expect to be beat. Notes are important, don't get caught twice by the same villain if you can avoid it. If you have no notes you can put players into categories and have a plan for that group of players.

It comes down to who the villain is and how the hand has played. And working that out in 15 seconds whilst multi-tabling comes with experience.

My most profitable poker at nl4 is when I'm folding well in marginal situations, not when I'm taking risks and flipping with the fish.