You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL10 buy in amount?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
hi, i hope someone can help me with this.
I was hoping to move upto NL10 some time in the future. Is there anyone who grinds this cash level and could reccomend a buy in amount that is deemed acceptable for this?
I would say £300+, would i be right?

When/if i decide to step upto NL10, i will be willing to spend ALOT of time analysing play, studying the game, etc (but thats for another day), anyone who regulary plays these levels would they be able to also comment on the general style of play there. Is it relatively solid there? (i thought with the tv tables starting there, you'd get a few hopefuls about).

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I presume you mean BANKROLL amount? If so then yeah £300+ seems standard, of course the more you have the more comfortable you'll be and the less you have the more you could be playing scared money.

The general standard improves as you go up from NL4 and there are more REG's but as with all levels there are still plenty of fish if you look hard enough/table select well and after a few sessions you should suss out who's who, note-making I'd imagine is more beneficial at this level where there is a higher proportion of REG's with tendencies you can exploit, Lambert flatting half of stack with QQ pre and folding on flop for instance ;)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to NL10 buy in amount?:
    hi, i hope someone can help me with this. I was hoping to move upto NL10 some time in the future. Is there anyone who grinds this cash level and could reccomend a buy in amount that is deemed acceptable for this? I would say £300+, would i be right? When/if i decide to step upto NL10, i will be willing to spend ALOT of time analysing play, studying the game, etc (but thats for another day), anyone who regulary plays these levels would they be able to also comment on the general style of play there. Is it relatively solid there? (i thought with the tv tables starting there, you'd get a few hopefuls about).
    Posted by Swog
    Depends on your playing style - I'd say at 10NL, tight is right, much like 4NL. For that reason, 30 BI's should be enough, and step down if you drop below maybe 25 BI's, and grind back up.

The TV tables are great because you can sit deeper (200bb instead of 100bb), so if you're playing a fish, they're sat deeper too usually, and you can force them into making bigger, more expensive mistakes. You've also got a Deep Stack table where you can sit with 250bb, both great to play if you feel you have an edge over your opposition. However, if you plan to sit at either of those tables, be aware of how deeper stacks affect which hands you should and shouldn't play, as well as what hands you want to be getting all your money in with pre-flop.

Also be aware that you're playing with 2 BI's or 2.5 BI's if you sit at either of these tables, so it might not be advisable to jump straight in at the 10NL deep stack table.

The other good thing about TV tables is, as the name suggests, they appear live (a few minutes delayed) on TV. The times for these are:

Tuesday 7pm - 8pm
    Tuesday 11pm - Midnight
    Thursday 7pm - 8pm
    Sunday 7pm - 8pm

The 11pm show is Master Cash so will ALWAYS feature Cash Poker. The other two are "Tonight on Sky Poker", which occasionally feature Cash hands, other times they'll show a final table from a tournament or something.

As you touched on yourself slightly, the dynamic changes if the table is on TV - You'll get people who sit at the tables who wouldn't usually, for a number of different reasons. Some people want to get feedback on their Cash game, some were sat at the table anyway before it went on TV, and some people build an image using the TV. Be aware of this as well if you're sat on a TV table when the show is on. If you see a really long waiting list and/or the table fills up suddenly, it's probably being shown on TV, always worth checking the live stream (or just watching the show anyway).
  • edited May 2012
    Buyin amount is plenty really depending on your play etc, but should be more than fine.

As for the play style.. Blah, its just as bad at 10nl as 4nl I would say. Majority of players still open limp to much, call down with second pair or worse, go all in with KK just because they feel it should win even though someone clearly has paired the ace on the flop. I mean sure there are some at that level that can play and have some understanding of the game, but for the most part most are still very much learning. I've been playing it for last couple of weeks while testing the software, and its pretty soft in general compared to a lot of other sites at similar buyin amount. I mean example of play you can see below, and this isn't just a one off either.
     Had it to hand cus of something else. :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    willenhall Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.17
    KAM99 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £19.87
     Your hole cards
    • Q

trevor1954 Fold     
    xxxxxxx Call  £0.10 £0.25 £24.81
    coco3461 Fold     
    woodsy7 Fold     
    willenhall Fold     
    KAM99 Check     
    Flop

• A
    • K

KAM99 Check     
    seamy Bet  £0.25 £0.50 £24.56
    KAM99 Raise  £0.81 £1.31 £19.06
    xxxxxx Call  £0.56 £1.87 £24.00
    Turn

KAM99 Bet  £1.40 £3.27 £17.66
    xxxxxxCall  £1.40 £4.67 £22.60
    River

KAM99 Bet  £3.50 £8.17 £14.16
    xxxxxxRaise  £7.00 £15.17 £15.60
    KAM99 All-in  £14.16 £29.33 £0.00
    xxxxxx Call  £10.66 £39.99 £4.94
    KAM99 Show
    • Q

xxxxxx Show
    • A

KAM99 Win Flush to the Ace £38.59  £38.59
  • edited May 2012
    NL10 is just like NL4 but with more capable REGS

£250 should be fine, table selection becomes really important at NL10 because you have NL10 REGS/NL20+ REGS who drop down - so you could find your playing NL30/40 REGS

table selecton is vital

bear in mind that it's only when you get to NL20 you start to play against very capable REGS

• edited May 2012
    nice earner, i wouldn't be semi bluffing as hard against him next time if i was you lol.
    So your saying if you can beat NL4, apadpting to NL10 shouldn't be to hard?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10 buy in amount?:
    nice earner, i wouldn't be semi bluffing as hard against him next time if i was you lol. So your saying if you can beat NL4, apadpting to NL10 shouldn't be to hard?
    Posted by Swog

yes, but you gotta put more work into identiying the regs
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10 buy in amount?:
    nice earner, i wouldn't be semi bluffing as hard against him next time if i was you lol. So your saying if you can beat NL4, apadpting to NL10 shouldn't be to hard?
    Posted by Swog
    Sure, but I pick up more outs on the turn, and if I change and just C/C the turn he likely doesn't pay me off if I then come out betting when the flush hits on river, as its a pretty obvious line that I was after the flush. So I was happy to fire again on the turn, and if I missed on the river oh well I give it up as I'm sure he would call river if I bluffed, and if I hit then i've built a bigger pot.

And no, 10nl isn't that hard... Seriously its the same rule at ANY poker table. If you can't spot the fish by the time 10 minutes have past, its you. So play and see how it goes. No point really us telling you how you'll fair as not seen you play. :)