You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tips for MTTs when deep stacked and blinds high

Ive been playing a lot of MTTs (mainly $11) on PS and seem to do really well until the blinds get to about $500/$1000. Example tonight being I was in top 6 (from a 4000+ runners) from about after 2hrs (10 min blind structure).

I try to stay tight and not get excited with average hands and try to put pressure on the small stack, especially as the bubble approaches.

However I always seem to pick the wrong time/hand to make a move, either tangling with a mid/big stack or doubling up the short stacks. I had $100,000 tonight and now have $45,000 and cant really see where I went wrong.

Any tips on hands to play/not play especially against short stacks going all-in.

Also I seem to have little luck in stealing blinds. I either get a caller and dont hit or get a push from someone acting after me.

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2009
    tightening up is something i try not to do, keep playing your own style, remember it's YOUR play thats got you into that great possition, so why change??
    stay away from mid to large stacks if possible and use position on the smaller stacks, don't get money in the middle till you are almost positive they wont push back.
    as for hands to call short stack all ins, that depends on the range of hands you think each individual will play, is he tight? he's bound to have something half good, what do you have that can beat him?.... is he loose? well you could beat him with most avarage hands...... it all depends on the individual.
    your blind stealing? are you making your steal bets big/scary enough so they cant possibly call without a huge hand? are they getting value for there call? these are the questions you need to be asking yourself.
    hope my advise will be some help as though i don't play large field torneys i do have a good record of cashes and wins in the ones i do play.
    regards
    Dave

• edited June 2009
    Hi
    This is simple, PLAY THE GAME THAT GOT YOU THERE.
    COL
  • edited June 2009
    I'd say you have to change gear when the blinds increase, yes the aggresive/loose style has got you the chips but you want to keep your stack for the final couple of tables where the real money is.

I'd play your big hands, fold all small and marginal hands - be aware of position, eg. if you are early on the 9 handed table with AJ, it's okay to fold in this position, on the button, depending who is behind, it's better to use the aggresive style and raise as long as there's been no action before you.

If you continue with your aggresive/loose play and lose a big hand, it now takes away the insurance you had, now you can't lose another hand or you're out, when you pick up an AQ and it is raised early, you could be racing for your tournament against a pair, dominated with AK, against any 2 live cards, you are only 65% to win the hand, 1 in 3 times you go out.

It's all about finding good spots to play - against smaller stacks etc. in position (with good cards).