You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Exit hand mini £1200 BH, right or wrong to shove?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Said it before that tournaments not my usual thing, so never sure if I'm picking my spots right when it gets to this stage. My only concern with these hands is that I see them as often likely to be dominated by callers ranges, and so often I think shoving 89 or similar at least might give two live cards. Maybe its standard, just curious as while I've done ok in tournaments when I've played them, its not my main thing at all. This was just after the bubble popped, so wasn't massively concerned to go out, and was looking to up my chips.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceSpydrnani Small blind  600.00 600.00 24298.59 pompeyskip Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 31784.22  Your hole cards J Q    KAM99 All-in  12175.32 13975.32 0.00 andrew1947 Call  12175.32 26150.64 31692.18 mildsteal0 Fold     Spydrnani Fold     pompeyskip Fold     KAM99 Show J Q    andrew1947 Show K A    Flop  2 8 4    Turn  7    River  A    andrew1947 Win Pair of Aces 26150.64  57842.82

Comments

• edited May 2012
    its close tbh.

UTG I may just find a pass here.

That being said we have 13 bb and have to get it in short order.

I have become pretty manic 15< as the alternative is just far worse.

Folding fine, shoving fine.  Just dont limp :p
  • edited May 2012
    I shove
    in a no ante tournament like this one, I don't mind folding
  • edited May 2012
    Pretty close TBH but I lean towards a fold for the following reason.

When the bubble bursts there is 'crazy time' where all the short to low medium stacks want to either double or go.  Forget Andrew has the top of his range here, you are likely to get called by so many AX and some KX hands here as well as all pairs.  At the same time only a few worse hands from very loose players on a short stack will call (you'll pick up the odd QT and JT hand).  We're five handed but we are still UTG and I think I chance one or at a max two more sets of blinds to pass through us to find a better spot.
  • edited May 2012

5 handed with 10 bigs I think it's fine.
    6 handed UTG, or with a slightly bigger stack it's a fold.

• edited May 2012
    i would fold here if u get called could easily be dominated or its a flip u might aswell do this with 2 7 because dnt really want a call do ya 
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah seems a bit of both, so seems most just as undecided as I was about it. Wasn't an ideal table for me at all as got moved here after couple of mis-steps, and having one of chip leaders on left kind of sucked.  I had been on about 29k just before but called a fairly short stacks shove with 77 to see 88, and then tried to steal a pot from 2 limpers by shoving A9 from SB only for one of the limpers to have been trapping with AQ. Though I say that I only saw them limp hands after that too before I was moved.

Totally get you Tommy, as normally I do nit up a bit after bubble pop for this very reason that it can get wild and crazy, and I normally like to do my moves close to bubble, but as first paragraph showed that didn't quite go to plan. hehe. So I wasn't crazy about shoving with JQ, as said its such a high chance callers range will have you in dominated spot. I don't mind taking a flip as the underdog at this stage as likely you always will be if you ten big shoving unless card gods just happen to feed you a big hand, and difficult to just wait and hope for one before you have no fold equity at all.

Thanks for the feedback though. Seems most have the same sort of feeling on it as me that its a blah sort of hand that isn't great, but not terrible either. Oh and as for limping it.. shame on you. Only time I limp is early stages or in a cash game occasionally when a family pot works ok for my hand and in late postion. And very, very seldom as trap, but thats rare as they are often seen as sign of strength these days if you limp with around 10bb.
  • edited May 2012
    I fold, but w/ e
  • edited May 2012
    Yep it's just below the level required for me, KJ it would be in but QJ just doesn't feel nessesary although any call you get with both you'll be in similar trouble lol