You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL20 - Flopping a set

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
walks2311Small blind £0.10£0.10£63.11
GreekWayBig blind £0.20£0.30£41.28
SLEDGIESit out    
 Your hole cards

TeamMoneyFold    
snejiRaise £0.60£0.90£25.08
walks2311Raise £1.80£2.70£61.31
GreekWayCall £1.70£4.40£39.58
snejiCall £1.30£5.70£23.78
Flop

walks2311Bet £5.70£11.40£55.61
GreekWayRaise £14.25£25.65£25.33
snejiFold    
walks2311Fold   
I am not sure if it's a correct play to call a 3bet with 88, but I did cause I think I had a chance cause I had walks on my left and he kept 3-betting almost 1 every 3 hands.I had 3bet him couple of times.He either folded pre or fold to my cbet. I would describe him a bit of a maniac, but who didn't know what to do when he didn't hit.

I think my raise was a bit too big and I should have made it around 11-12. What do you think?

Which is the correct play here?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    think this is fine

the fact you think you can outplay him postflop is good eough reason - also the fact you're both deep
  • edited May 2012
    preflop with stacks its fine.

Flop, i dont think theres a right way or wrong way just dont hit fold and youll be fine.
  • edited May 2012
    With wet board I think raise is good not only to protect but also incase turn brings a card that slows him down of which there are many.

Only reason to flat could be if you think guy behind might make a move for the pot with some sort of draw which he won't call off with. 
  • edited May 2012
    Looks fine, I might just flat though
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the raise to be safe, as Dudeskin said it's a wet board and a call could have seen him to find a diamond and possibly a flush. You probably have the best hand at this stage seeing as it's very unlikely that someone is going to have 67, even though there is a 'maniac' at the table so to keep it that way I reckon it's a perfect raise. 

Well played.
  • edited May 2012
    Even tho he is maniac I prob dont flat oop 3bet not closing action tbh.

Although board is wet I dont think I pop flop here, would against less manics tho.  Prob just know that I wont fold on any street and let him barrell.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL20 - Flopping a set:
    Even tho he is maniac I prob dont flat oop 3bet not closing action tbh. Although board is wet I dont think I pop flop here, would against less manics tho.  Prob just know that I wont fold on any street and let him barrell.
    Posted by AMYBR
    +1. Preflop bit risky with call when you're not closing action and could see button raise leaving you hung out to dry. Flop, yes its a risk with 3 in pot, but if your read on him is right and he is a bit of a maniac I think I'm taking the risk and flatting, but with the choice I'm not folding no matter what, as lets face it if I raise flop I'm not folding either, so I don't think I should change my mind if a dodgy diamond comes on turn. So in this occasion I let him barrel. Against different player on this board i'd likely 3bet the flop as played.
  • edited May 2012
    i don't see the big 'risk' is in calling a 3b with a medium pp with an effective stack of 200bb - obv hero wont take it any further if there's any more action - you'll either lose a small pot or win a huge  (and everything inbetween lol)
  • edited May 2012
    flat versus the pot size bet
  • edited May 2012
    Not a fan of cold calling the 3bet, the button will 4bet sometimes, and you have to fold and basically donate £1.80 to the pot. 88 doesn't play particularly well against the range that the SB is going to be 3betting with, either.

I don't think raising is wrong, I don't think flatting is a mistake either.
  • edited May 2012
    Not a fan of cold calling the 3bet, the button will 4bet sometimes, and you have to fold and basically donate £1.80 to the pot. 88 doesn't play particularly well against the range that the SB is going to be 3betting with, either. I don't think raising is wrong, I don't think flatting is a mistake either.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    well obviously the button will 4b sometimes and you'll lose 1.80 - what's the big deal? you'll have a decent opportunity to spike an 8 and potentially win a vbig pot
    why doesn't 88 play well against a resteal vs a btn raise?
    sb could be raising with such a wide range here
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL20 - Flopping a set : well obviously the button will 4b sometimes and you'll lose 1.80 - what's the big deal? you'll have a decent opportunity to spike an 8 and potentially win a vbig pot why doesn't 88 play well against a resteal vs a btn raise? sb could be raising with such a wide range here
    Posted by percival09
    Just noticed the paragraph below the hand :o

If the villain is "3betting 1 in 3 hands", then yeah, calling is okay. I'd still much rather be closing the action, though.
  • edited May 2012
    yeah, fair enough
  • edited May 2012

Don't like flatting the 3 bet. I'd rather 4 bet or fold.

Post flop: I know this board it super draw heavy, but by raising, your range is so polarised. You only ever have sets  here imo, as you're unlikely to flat the 3 bet with 67. If i was the villain here, I'd snap fold aces to this raise. What hands do you flat the 3 bet with, then raise the flop with on this board? you said you opponent has been aggro, I take the chance and flat his c-bet, let him barrel off if he's that aggro. He's folding everything except the straight and sets.

• edited May 2012
    seems fine to me call and hope he doesnt hit flush
  • edited May 2012
    Don't like flatting the 3 bet. I'd rather 4 bet or fold. Post flop: I know this board it super draw heavy, but by raising, your range is so polarised. You only ever have sets  here imo, as you're unlikely to flat the 3 bet with 67. If i was the villain here, I'd snap fold aces to this raise. What hands do you flat the 3 bet with, then raise the flop with on this board? you said you opponent has been aggro, I take the chance and flat his c-bet, let him barrel off if he's that aggro. He's folding everything except the straight and sets.
    Posted by andybeth
    Why? Hero and villain are 200bb deep and if the villain is a maniac 3 betting 1 in 3 hands then a call is fine. If we don't see an 8 we get out the way. Don't see the point in turning our hand into a bluff with a 4 bet.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL20 - Flopping a set : Why? Hero and villain are 200bb deep and if the villain is a maniac 3 betting 1 in 3 hands then a call is fine. If we don't see an 8 we get out the way. Don't see the point in turning our hand into a bluff with a 4 bet.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    just knowing villain is 'maniac' 3better isn't a good enough reason to call a 3b
    you really have to know how he plays postflop in a 3b pot for it to be profitable - but this deep maybe it's ok just to setmine