You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ways of Avoiding Tilt - No Matter What?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Like to see if there are any weird and wonderful methods for avoiding tilt? apart from the ussual get up walk away, etc etc,, well if your a confrontational person, lol, getting up and walking away is just not in ones nature, many, many hands gone pete tong in the last couple of days, this hand below sums it up, no cash left anymore so tilting at the poker table is no option, but my laptop is certainlylooking good for a bit of tilting on.
    What does a confrontational character do to avoid tilt?
  • edited May 2012

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

elpapagal

Small blind

£0.05

£0.05

£5.82

david20120

Big blind

£0.10

£0.15

£5.90

lomonder

Big blind

£0.10

£0.25

£5.90

Your hole cards

·         Q

·         Q

stavanti9

Call

£0.10

£0.35

£16.26

CARDWITCH

Fold

lomonder

Check

Rich_Chips

Raise

£0.50

£0.85

£3.47

elpapagal

Fold

david20120

Fold

stavanti9

Call

£0.40

£1.25

£15.86

lomonder

Call

£0.40

£1.65

£5.50

Flop

stavanti9

Check

lomonder

Bet

£0.80

£2.45

£4.70

Rich_Chips

All-in

£3.47

£5.92

£0.00

stavanti9

Fold

lomonder

Call

£2.67

£8.59

£2.03

lomonder

Show

·         K

·         A

Rich_Chips

Show

·         Q

·         Q

Turn

River

·         K

lomonder

Win

Two Pairs, Kings and 3s

£7.94

£9.97

• edited May 2012
    sit full stacked

nh ul
  • edited May 2012

Tilt is unavoidable sometimes or other, but I find the best method of lowering my tilt level is to repeatedly kick the SOB that put the fourth bad beat in a row on me squarely in his plums until my tilt meter comes down... strangely calming.

Jokes aside i did actually use some of my FTP when playing on fulltilt to get one of those stress dummies you can whale on when you feel the need. lol I don't tilt to often, but happens to all of us in I think in degrees depending on how often teh beats are. Found throwing that helped heaps more than some walk in the fresh air. :)

• edited May 2012
    i allways found the more buy ins in your roll the less tilting it is to lose a few
  • edited May 2012
    i agree with above would you get tilted if you lost £4 in 4nl if you had 2k in br just same across the board altho should only be playing with cash can lose i realised that a bit back dont tilt as much now. plus if you dont always look at how u got done over and look at either how you could have changed outcome then u improve and thats better than tilting or if you get in good and some1 hits a draw hey you know it may be anoying but you will get there.

(played 8 tournys today all 8 i went out when i was miles ahead but i cashed for nearly £150 making my day £60 profit) im sure in all tournys i dished out a few badbeats along the way but i dont remember them
  • edited May 2012
    Do you read poker books?
    If so try - The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler M.S and Barry Carter

Im about half way through and its quite interesting as far as tilting is concerned. I think though its one of those books that you will have to read a few times before its starts to sink in. He also suggests making notes which im not a grat fan of which is why i will probably have to read it 4 times.
    It has helped me quite a bit already though.
  • edited May 2012
    I have bought the Mental Game of Poker but I have not read yet. No time.

Just accept the nature of the game. If you accept that bad beats will occure, you will be fine.

Poker it's about fun. If you don't enjoy it take a break.
  • edited May 2012
    this is a pretty standard race situation - if you get tilted by this wait until your quads get rivered by a royal flush

in terms of your q, have a big enough bankroll to withstand losing a flip. this is the only thing you can really do to not get tilted when losing from a winning position
  • edited May 2012
    I personally didn't like the Mental Game of Poker i found it a bit of a non event but it's supposed to be good and others like it so i recommend you take a look. I find i only ever tilt when i'm annoyed at MYSELF for my play, i stopped getting angry at bad players because i find that if i play correctly i can lose and still be in profit.

Yesterday i lost approximately 6 all-in's (only two for full stack as most bad players are shortstacked) when getting it in good, and still made 8 buy-in's overall.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Ways of Avoiding Tilt - No Matter What?:
    I have bought the Mental Game of Poker but I have not read yet. No time. Just accept the nature of the game. If you accept that bad beats will occure, you will be fine. Poker it's about fun. If you don't enjoy it take a break.
    Posted by GreekWay

Yes bad beats happen but how do you enjoy it when your getting bad beats day after day, week after week ?
    (seems never ending for me).
    I love playing poker but for the last six months i have found it incredibly infuriating getting beat by the worse hand pre flop (when getting it all-in) time and time again.
    fwiw i also recognise that sometimes its me and not a bb - even more infuriating.
    Fun seems to go out the window.
    Taking a break imo is not always the answer, you always almost certanly coming back to the same thing.

PS - Can someone please send me some run good
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Ways of Avoiding Tilt - No Matter What?:
    i allways found the more buy ins in your roll the less tilting it is to lose a few
    Posted by weedgi
    ^^
    This is good advice because if you think you are going busto this will lead to you becoming stressed which will obviously make you play worse and make wrong decisions therefore loosing money.

I suffer quite abit from tilt (whoever has played with me will have probably found out). At the start of the year i was going through a downswing and it was really ****ing me off seemed like i was loosinog every all in/flip, so i decided to take a full two weeks off poker.

The break helped me loads, I seemed to be a different player when i come back and havent had a loosing week since.

• edited May 2012
    Am seriously the last person to give advice on Tilt and BRM.

However Shwartz said something quite casually while on 865 that I really paid attention to and have tried to focus on.  When the issue of Tilt past/present came up he said: (paraphrase)

"I used to tilt loads, but once I knew I could beat the game it stopped".

Simple comment on surface but if you read between the lines it really does help (well has helped me).

The grind of poker is just ridic easier compared to the mental dicipline needed to remain in profit or with a workable roll.
  • edited May 2012
    luke schwartz was on 865??? 
  • edited May 2012

Hey guys, wow, fantastic response, i thank you all for the genuine and serious replies. i have been playing for a fair few years now (on and off, seriously and for fun) and defo know the meaning of up and down swings. I also understand the bankrole business (understanding and applying = a completely different thing, lol). i think the post was a little tilty in all honesty none the less, still be good to hear what some people do to calm down. I work in a high profile, stressful job and manage to keep highly professional at all times, however when it comes to the green felt and the chips i am like a mad man possessed, lol. there must be some weird and wonderful methods people use?
  • edited May 2012
    tilt is just an emotion - we are human we  have emotions

accepting your human and will suffer from emotions at the poker table is fine
    trying to act like a robot with no emotions is impossible

to stay disciplined in your game when tilting is the main issue

don't let your emotions take over the way you play

it's fine to get upset at bad beats, just don't let it affect the way you play

simples!