You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ vs A10s

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I hate hands were you know it doesnt matter what you did you were always going to lose

5 way, 300/600 blinds, got 7,500 chips push all in with pocket J's! everyone folds to bb who has about 9,000 chips calls with A10s 

board 2s 6s 9h Ah Ks = flush

I was gonna just raise pre to 2400 but i reckon he still calls? and if he did whatever i bet on the flop he's going to call with 2 spades? then he hits his Ace on the turn! what do you think? do you think me going all in pre made him think i had a small pair? I think its a big call from him A10s?

Is it like i say just a hand im not getting away from?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    You played it fine

Depends how you are playing but his call prob ok too
  • edited May 2012
    12.5bbs with JJ, totally standard, no offence at all but if you can't stand losing these type of hands I'd find a new hobby.
  • edited May 2012
    Why are you complaining? You got your money in and got a call from someone that had 32% equity. So you got out drawn that happens, but you got your money in good and another day you double up. Totally standard, and shipping pre was fine. By time I'm sub 20bb I'm looking for spots to ship it in, so 12 I'm certainly all in with JJ.

As for raising and shoving.. Of course he is totally going all in on the flop with two over cards and flush draw he is in fair shape against whatever your range is if you shove on flop. So  in this case the money all goes in with this hand regardless of if you ship preflop or on the flop.
  • edited May 2012
    Sorry mate...can't help but agree with Kam. You should be pumping the air when you see AT. You're ahead with a good hand and just 12 bb. I've had bad experiences with 4 JJ hands one night and put it in bad beats but it really wasn't something you or i  could avoid....the poker gods just decided to press the -ve effect variance button on you.
    What you did was fine, i think. All the best next time with JJ (aslong as its not myAT obviously!).

Cheers
  • edited May 2012
    I agree with everything said above, you've done nothing wrong, I think not shoving in this spot would be the wrong play.

I don't mind the call with A10 suited either and you should be delighted with the call, you're better than 3:1 to win the hand when the money goes in.

To address your other question, if you raise 2400 pre you're leaving yourself 5100 chips back (so committing almost a 1/3 of your stack), assuming the bet is called, which we know it will be (inless he re-pops it) the pot will be 5700.  I don't think you're ever folding JJ with those pot odds.  If he does re-pop it pre-flop you have JJ and less tahn 10BB behind so again you're not folding here.

So in short you have to get it all in preflop, the rest is down to the poker gods.  Don't beat yourself up about these situations when you've done everything right.
  • edited May 2012

Yeah im not really complaining boys i just wanted to clarify i did the right thing? I was happy to see A10 when he showed me but i dont do well in these situation so even tho im happy to see A10 with JJ sometime im happy to blind steal with it 

Dudeskin8 you are right tho i do need to overcome this feeling i have with theses hands, i am getting better tho with advice off these forums, i mean a few months ago id of just raised with JJ when going all in was the right play

thanks for the feedback guys

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ vs A10s:
    Yeah im not really complaining boys i just wanted to clarify i did the right thing? I was happy to see A10 when he showed me but i dont do well in these situation so even tho im happy to see A10 with JJ sometime im happy to blind steal with it  Dudeskin8 you are right tho i do need to overcome this feeling i have with theses hands, i am getting better tho with advice off these forums, i mean a few months ago id of just raised with JJ when going all in was the right play thanks for the feedback guys
    Posted by ClintonH83
    BOOO sucks to that "I just happy to steal blinds".. You want to be jumping up and down screaming silently "CALL ME!" when you got that, and as long a they don't got QQ+ when they do, be happy. Tournaments you can't win without chips, and if your goal is to run deep (IE close to or on final table) you want calling with the few big hands you get. If you go out thats expected as variance is high in tournaments, but you want to pile on the chips when you can, and if you go out, well theres always another starting somewhere. :)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ vs A10s : BOOO sucks to that "I just happy to steal blinds".. You want to be jumping up and down screaming silently "CALL ME!" when you got that, and as long a they don't got QQ+ when they do, be happy. Tournaments you can't win without chips, and if your goal is to run deep (IE close to or on final table) you want calling with the few big hands you get. If you go out thats expected as variance is high in tournaments, but you want to pile on the chips when you can, and if you go out, well theres always another starting somewhere. :)
    Posted by KAM99
    Yeah i know what your saying and your right! :) if i go out there with JJ its one of them and like you say always another tournament starting somewhere ;)
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah im not really complaining boys i just wanted to clarify i did the right thing? I was happy to see A10 when he showed me but i dont do well in these situation so even tho im happy to see A10 with JJ sometime im happy to blind steal with it  Dudeskin8 you are right tho i do need to overcome this feeling i have with theses hands, i am getting better tho with advice off these forums, i mean a few months ago id of just raised with JJ when going all in was the right play thanks for the feedback guys
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Hi Clinton,

JJ you say. i had them in consecutive hands in early bounty hunter last night. First hand won nicely. Second, irase from UTG, sb AI with SS w/ ATo, iraise AI with JJ to push UTg off who calls w/ KK. .........

OUT OF TOURNAMENT!!!

Yes, i'm loving JJ....i may never bet these again or just set mine...fullstop...cheers and GL
  • edited May 2012
    When I get it in with JJ against A10 I know I'm gonna lose