You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Isolation Play

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I played this hand this morning.  a £5 DYM.

I had 1 caller so added a BB to my raise making it 4X.  The short stack shoved his remaining chips and the limper folded.  as you can see I got the money in good and the Short stack got lucky.

I then got a fair bit of verbal abuse from the limper , who, had he stayed in the hand, would have knocked out the player. 

There was a debate at the table.  He said I should have just called and checked it down.  My view is that with 5 players left in a DYM, it is way too soon to be doing that and that my raise to isolate the short stack was a sound play with my stack and my hand.

Opinions?

Hand History #518826333 (10:16 13/05/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceVillan1Small blind 50.0050.003080.00Villan2Big blind 100.00150.0015.00 Your hole cardsQA   Villan3Call 100.00250.002440.00JockBMWRaise 400.00650.003505.00Villan4Fold    Villan1Fold    Villan2All-in 15.00665.000.00Villan3Fold    JockBMWUnmatched bet 285.00380.003790.00Villan2Show6K   JockBMWShowQA   Flop  762   Turn  4   River  9   Villan2WinPair of 6s380.00 380.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Anyone who limps at this stage of a dym is in no position to offer advice imo!

Your raise is spot on Pete
  • edited May 2012
    Nothing wrong with this, the shorty is still in a weak position having binked it. If villain 3 was willing to try and take out the shorty he should have opened with a raise his own fault for attempting that play from utg. As much as we want the shorty out we want his chips to go to us :) If it was 4 handed understandable you call but 5 its perfect imo
  • edited May 2012
    Little nit-picky but I think you can raise 300 here (with relative stack sizes) instead and get same answer as I presume if Vill 1 3bet shoves you fold?

And yes unless it's 4-handed checking it down is not in your interest as the game is still very much alive, i.e him getting those chips is bad for you.
  • edited May 2012
    if the bb could not make up the BB, as in 50chips left or whatever i would 100% raise in you'r spot with a limper as im not giving the bb much of a lifeline, but in this spot i think i would limp also tbf from a strategic point of view as we are looking at a 60/40 vs the bb most of the time; giving him a chance to win 380, and a chance to make a come back. 

The ideal would be h/u with bb, whith him only have a chance of winning 280, all in all UTG's limp is the worst play in this hand.

...you definetaly dont deserve abuse!!
  • edited May 2012
    I think it's only bad to do this 4-handed. 5-handed, I want his 115 chips and the limper's chips :)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM Isolation Play:
    I think it's only bad to do this 4-handed. 5-handed, I want his 115 chips and the limper's chips :)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    This

Villain wanted you to play nice.  Villain wrong.  Jock slap villain good.
  • edited May 2012
    it's 5 handed stop moaning - slap em down jock
  • edited May 2012
    Absolutely nothing wrong with your play.  The limp/fold from V2 is very bad play
  • edited May 2012
    Its 5 handed not the bubble. He should raise anyway if he's going to be in pot.
     If on bubble play could be 3xbb raise which would get ss all-in and the limper presumably as back up.
    You were 100% correct in your play IMO.
    I think he got his wires crossed a bit with bubble play/ implicit collusion etc.
    PS when's the latest blog out Jock?..i'm enjoying it...
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM Isolation Play:
    Its 5 handed not the bubble. He should raise anyway if he's going to be in pot.  If on bubble play could be 3xbb raise which would get ss all-in and the limper presumably as back up. You were 100% correct in your play IMO. I think he got his wires crossed a bit with bubble play/ implicit collusion etc. PS when's the latest blog out Jock?..i'm enjoying it...
    Posted by profman15

Had another session last night.  Will be posting the blog up this weekend.  In the main we looked at Betting