You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think i played this correct?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
AAKINGKONG Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £21.62
sneji Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £50.70
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

WheresDirk Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £38.11
xxxxCall  £0.80 £1.90 £130.31
robz7 Call  £0.80 £2.70 £7.43
catious Call  £0.80 £3.50 £30.84
AAKINGKONG Fold     
sneji Fold     
Flop

WheresDirk Check     
xxxxBet  £0.20 £3.70 £130.11
robz7 All-in  £7.43 £11.13 £0.00
catious Fold     
WheresDirk Fold     
xxxxCall  £7.23 £18.36 £122.88
xxx Show
  • A

robz7 Show
  • J
  • J

Turn

• K

River

xxx Win Straight to the 9 £17.44  £140.32

Comments

• edited May 2012
    That deep I 3bet pre to get it in if doing short stack strategy or just shove.

Flop looks fine with 2x pot bet behind.

Overall though I'd try and sit with max so you can win max ;)
  • edited May 2012
    Its not even about short stack strat... Really this is not generally a good idea preflop with JJ, as you might as well just torch them in most cases doing this, as so often you will face a board with over cards in a multiway pot. And the last thing you want is to go to a flop with multiple people unless looking to hit a set with them, which would be pretty wasteful. So definately you should 3bet this preflop looking to get it heads up preferably.

As played his bet is honestly a classic sign from a novice that they are drawing and trying to put a blocker bet in but woefully under doing it, which so many on sky low limits do. Possible they do same and want a raise while holding the nuts, but you'll soon find out with a raise. So I quite often would prefer a raise here giving him chance to call for his draw but at a bad price. Then if nothing comes down to complete the straight draw I get it in on the turn when he has little odds to call and only one card to come. Getting it all in on the flop is fine too I gues, but you may totally scare them off, and I don't mind a smaller bet to keep them on the hook if its still slightly bad odds for them to chase, even if its a slight risk.

Thats my thoughts.. Flop can do either way, but preflop definately thin the field as once you call you invite more into the pot as the pot odds get better and better with each caller. That and you get a better idea lot of time what you are up against with all these callers.
  • edited May 2012
    Pre-flop is horrible - With Pocket Jacks, the last thing we want is to be up against multiple opponents.

- If there's overcards, someone will almost certainly hit with so many players in the pot. 47% of the time, we'll see both no Jack on the flop and overcards. That's a lot of the time to be having to check/fold a hand as strong as Pocket Jacks.

- If we flop an overpair with hands like TT and JJ, the flop is often going to be quite connected, and with several opponents in the pot, there's also quite likely to be suited connector type hands out there which have either flopped 2 pair (We're in big trouble), or flopped decent equity in the hand (So we're flipping, meh).

- There's a 4bb open and a call, plus the blinds, so that's 9.5bb that we can win even if we don't get any further action after 3betting pre-flop. If I 3bet and everyone folds, I'm more than happy to take down a 9.5bb pot uncontested.

- Finally, if we recently sat down with this short stack and/or posted a blind, we may be perceived as a weak player looking to gamble, so this would actually be a perfect spot to use that image, 3bet shove, and potentially get looked up by someone with a marginal hand.

All of the above are reasons to be looking to get the money in pre-flop, and you aren't going to get your stack in pre-flop by calling ;)
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    As stated it wasn't played very well i don't think.

You need to at a very minimum reraise the original raiser to test him and also force other limpers out. You want this head's up on the flop at a minimum. Also if you're going to shove any non-overcard board you might as well just shove pre. It doesn't make sense to just call THEN shove when you've dangled a carrot for the draws.

The guy who took it down would have probably folded and you take down all the dead money and if he does call then that's fine because it's totally weak play from him.
  • edited May 2012
    Play with full buy in
    Shove pre
    Don't post opponents hand in HH converter, it can make advice biast 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to I think i played this correct?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance AAKINGKONG Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £21.62 sneji Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £50.70   Your hole cards J J       WheresDirk Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £38.11 xxxx Call   £0.80 £1.90 £130.31 robz7 Call   £0.80 £2.70 £7.43 catious Call   £0.80 £3.50 £30.84 AAKINGKONG Fold         sneji Fold         Flop     5 6 8       WheresDirk Check         xxxx Bet   £0.20 £3.70 £130.11 robz7 All-in   £7.43 £11.13 £0.00 catious Fold         WheresDirk Fold         xxxx Call   £7.23 £18.36 £122.88 xxx  Show 7 A       robz7 Show J J       Turn     K       River     9       xxx  Win Straight to the 9 £17.44   £140.32
    Posted by robz7
    Hi,

Thank you for your post,
    Please let us know your hand ID and which table its from so that we can show it on our poker clinic show.

All the best

TV TEAM