You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sigh fold? call? help...need serious improvement when it comes to spots like this

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
into the mid stages of mini open im lying in top 10 with 115 left

villain had just doubled up...had been playing a good solid game
we both have big stacks which makes the hand even more awkward!
should i have raised on the flop? do i fold on the turn? i'm playing pretty bad at the min!

nben436Small blind 100.00100.0018115.00Garym18Big blind 200.00300.007733.78 Your hole cardsAK   Ice_TigerFold    sara36dd08Fold    waller02Raise 600.00900.0014540.50benben436Call 500.001400.0017615.00Garym18Fold    Flop  5A7   benben436Bet 1400.002800.0016215.00waller02Call 1400.004200.0013140.50Turn  Q   benben436All-in 16215.0020415.000.00waller02????

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Minraise pre for me as standard.

I raise flop and look to get it in.

As played I snap call turn really fast as your hand is super underrepped. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: sigh fold? call? help...need serious improvement when it comes to spots like this:
    Minraise pre for me as standard. I raise flop and look to get it in. As played I snap call turn really fast as your hand is super underrepped. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    should the fact that I'm 7/124, he has me covered and I have around 70bb be a factor when making my decision? or is that just being a bit nitty lol
  • edited May 2012
    70bb isn't super deep, I guess in most MTT's at this stage it is but you have TPTK and just flatted the flop (weakness), his turn bet is rather large but he could easily think he can get you off a hand with air or even think his AJ/AT/A9/A8 is a value hand.

Overall though when I raise with AK and get this flop/board I'm very happy.
  • edited May 2012
    fold readless - doubt he's ever shoving anything that doesn't beat AK here if he's been playing a solid game
    I think flop is fine
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: sigh fold? call? help...need serious improvement when it comes to spots like this:
    70bb isn't super deep, I guess in most MTT's at this stage it is but you have TPTK and just flatted the flop (weakness), his turn bet is rather large but he could easily think he can get you off a hand with air or even think his AJ/AT/A9/A8 is a value hand. Overall though when I raise with AK and get this flop/board I'm very happy.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    i agree not raising the flop was maybe a mistake, i was going to raise the turn but when the shove comes i'm like wtf?? you think i'm ahead here enough to warrant the call then.....he has around 80bb and i'm the only one on the table who can seriously damage his stack, surely he would be saving any bluffs for the small/medium stacks?

i'm not playing well at the min and have been making some bad decisions
  • edited May 2012
    I guess if he's been super tight then a fold might be good as less likely he has worse but why would a decent solid player donk pot with like a set etc and then shove turn surely that loses all value as needs very good hand to call?

The position you're in also plays a part in that you probz don't need to take risks but still this is a pot that could take you to the final table and more.
  • edited May 2012
    I guess if he's been super tight then a fold might be good as less likely he has worse but why would a decent solid player donk pot with like a set etc and then shove turn surely that loses all value as needs very good hand to call? The position you're in also plays a part in that you probz don't need to take risks but still this is a pot that could take you to the final table and more.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    he wasn't super tight, he had used his position to bet me off a couple of pots....it's a tough spot

wouldn't mind some more opinions before i say what i did
  • edited May 2012

do you think he would donk bet pot wae 77,55,a7,a5 if not only hand your worrying about would be aq I`m quite fishy so I`d call hope he turns over aj,a10,a9 etc or just a pure bluff

but just looked again did he have ax or 7x of diamonds and you called and he hit river ?

• edited May 2012
    seems really bad for him to play his value hands this way, but then there's plenty of bad players in tourneys.
    Having a decent stack in this tourney, Ild be looking for better spots than this.
  • edited May 2012
    I snap call here, if he's got AQ then...... sigh

I don't think he's ever leading into you here with a made set, 2 pair is a possibility if you make him bad enough to call out of the small blind with A rag, 5 7 suited is an outside possibilty but if I start giving people credit for hands like that I'm gonna fols every pot.

His line looks to me like he's called to hit his A and is trying to end the pot quickly, if he's super strong he'd check raise and let you get more into the pot.

Also, I definately 3bet the flop to define my hand here, otherwise you're seeing the turn with limited information and can be put to difficult decisions like this if a scare card comes.
  • edited May 2012

I usually fold the turn unless i have reads

I dont want someone else to dictate that i am calling off for my mtt. From bitter experience when i call jams like this on this sort of board i am behind a fair bit... If hes really crafty he can have 68dd tho, it is tempting to call for sure.  

I prefer keepin the raising smaller preflop btw, I used to 3x consitantly in mtts, but now i much prefer a min or just over min nearly all the time and my results have improved.

• edited May 2012
    I think this is probably a fold - was in a very similar position last night in the £22 BH when going deep & i called lol.
  • edited May 2012
    RERAISE ALL-IN THE FLOP THEN PUT THE DIFFICULT DECISION TO HIM. YOU MUST BE AHEAD AT THIS STAGE AS HE WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED A 3X BB WITH 7, WOULD HE. i KNOW I WOULDN'T.
    IF HE CALLS WITH AQ THEN ITS A POOR CALL, I FEEL, THAT HE SUCKED OUT ON.
    hIS STACK IS BIG SO YOU HAVE FOLD EQUITY IN YOUR FAVOUR AS WOULD HE TAKE THE CHANCE FOR HIS STACK WTH POSSIBLY TPGK OR SUCH LIKE?
  • edited May 2012
    ty for all ur input

Right the hand.......I typed I have ak in the chat box with the intention of folding.....just about to time out but just couldn't find the fold and called in the last second, my gut feeling was telling me to fold and AQ had def crossed my mind. What did he have AQ! sigh!

My feeling, albeit slightly results orientated, was that I should have raised on the flop but I think the end result would have been the same.

Greg, re the min raising pre, what level is it best to start min raising? I normally start doing this at 150/300. I have seen your recent results so it must be working!
  • edited May 2012
    I usually start min raising at 25/50-ish but on the button/cutoff even earlier sometimes. 
  • edited May 2012
    I usually start min raising at 25/50-ish but on the button/cutoff even earlier sometimes. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Ok cheers dude, I will adopt this approach and see how it goes
  • edited May 2012
    It basically just keeps the pots smaller when stacks are shallower and then means cbets/down the streets bets can be smaller, also means you can raise/fold a lot more as if you keep 3x raising and someone shoves you lose a lot more than if it was a minraise.