You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

didnt really know what to do here?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

peds910 Raise  £0.10 £0.35 £4.80
EzzyMoney Call  £0.20 £0.55 £19.68
drawshot09 Call  £0.20 £0.75 £15.15
danboy22 Raise  £0.60 £1.35 £7.78
dave62 Fold     
yorkie63 Fold     
peds910 Call  £0.40 £1.75 £4.40
EzzyMoney Call  £0.40 £2.15 £19.28
drawshot09 Call  £0.40 £2.55 £14.75
Flop

• K

peds910 Check     
EzzyMoney Check     
drawshot09 Check     
danboy22 Check     
Turn

peds910 Bet  £0.10 £2.65 £4.30
EzzyMoney Call  £0.10 £2.75 £19.18
drawshot09 Call  £0.10 £2.85 £14.65
danboy22 Call  £0.10 £2.95 £7.68
River

peds910 Bet  £2.21 £5.16 £2.09
EzzyMoney Fold     
drawshot09 Fold     
danboy22 Fold     
peds910 Muck     
peds910 Win  £2.72  £4.81
peds910 Return  £2.21 £0.23 £7.02

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Ok, your problem started preflop by not raising enough.  A general rule with open raises is 3xbb as a min for cash games, as less and you give pretty much open option to the BB to call because of pot odds if nothing else. However as sson as you get limpers in the pot you need to account for this, and so you should tack on an extra BB for every limper. Make them pay if they want to call with whatever garbage they only felt was good enough to limp in with. Because you only raised 3x you just gave reasonable odds for them to call, and once the first one did theen the odds just got better and better and you end up in a multiway pot with JJ, which is nearly always a horrible spot to be in.

Flop isn't great for you, and not overly in multiway as while none may have the king they could well have cards that will be all round that board for draws. Sometimes I may fire to try and take it down, but against 3 others its a risk on this board that it won't go through and cards later on aren't likely to often make us feel better, so I may just check as you did.

However, on the turn still very little interest other than a ridiculous 1/20th pot size bet. So very often this is someone thats picked up a draw but has no concept of blocking and so throw out this kind of bet in the hope no-one will raise them off their draw. You all obliged him nicely and he hit his fllush on the river is how I read this. To be honest I may not shove the turn, but I certainly would raise the a backside off this pot and make him really decide if he wants to pay to hit that draw. If he weak he may call, and in this case he'd get there, but most times he won't.

Anyway, moral is try not to get into this situation to often in a multiway pot with hands like 10's and J's as its normally horrible with lot of boards you'll hate and have no clue where to go with it.
  • edited May 2012
    so are you saying try to take pot pre flop ??
  • edited May 2012
    I don't mind 3b pre if you know villain is opening wide and calling 3bets wide but make it bigger
    I think postflop is ok
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: didnt really know what to do here?:
    so are you saying try to take pot pre flop ??
    Posted by danboy22
    No, thats not what I was saying. But making it so that you don't drag everyone into the pot because of the pot odds. As soon as one of them calls they all will at the price you are giving them, pretty much regardless of their hand strength.

The point is ideally you don't want to be playing a hand like JJ against more than one person. So raise it up more preflop. If you get one fo them call great, and if not then they didn't have a hand and you add 5% to your stack, which is ok too, and better than losing a bunch in a multiway pot with no idea where you're at for the most part.
  • edited May 2012
    Think I fire again on this flop, probably your best chance to take the pot given that everyone has checked to your button and you are the pre-flop aggressor.

If you encounter resistence you can shut down and you still have a thin draw to the gut shot to improve.
  • edited May 2012
    raise pre more
    bet flop

a/p -  turn to river is just yuk - min bet and 4 callers WHAT!

river is a fold though FWIW

just looks like you all have run down an alleyway kicking the bins over - what a mess ::()
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: didnt really know what to do here?:
    I don't mind 3b pre if you know villain is opening wide and calling 3bets wide but make it bigger I think postflop is ok
    Posted by percival09
    +1