You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Knowing when to fold big overpairs - cash

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Yo, I need some help please
I seem to be getting myself in these spot on wet boards with overpairs and facing a raise
I am finding it difficult to let go of big pairs on such wet & prd flops
Should we easily fold these spots or is it just a lot easier on dry boards

advice please - thanks

oppo in his hand is a very capabel REG - but I am finding myself in spots verus randoms where I raise ep and get called.....and face similar action on wet/prd boiards

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
rancid Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £40.91
jph194 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £21.74
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

thebabe Fold        
X Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.70
monte92 Call   £0.60 £1.50 £6.21
weg276 Fold        
rancid Raise   £2.20 £3.70 £38.71
jph194 Fold        
X Call   £1.70 £5.40 £18.00
monte92 Fold        
Flop

• Q

rancid Bet   £4.05 £9.45 £34.66
X Raise   £10.80 £20.25 £7.20
rancid

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I'd probz bet smaller
    obv in this spot you're always shoving

on more wet boards, vs specific opponents, there's definitely a time to fold overpairs but you shouldn't worry about it too much - it isn't going to be a deciding factor in how successful you are at cash. most of the time you'll be good just be wary and reads are v.important when facing a raise
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Knowing when to fold big overpairs - cash:
    Yo, I need some help please I seem to be getting myself in these spot on wet boards with overpairs and facing a raise I am finding it difficult to let go of big pairs on such wet & prd flops Should we easily fold these spots or is it just a lot easier on dry boards advice please - thanks oppo in his hand is a very capabel REG - but I am finding myself in spots verus randoms where I raise ep and get called.....and face similar action on wet/prd boiards Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance rancid Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £40.91 jph194 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £21.74   Your hole cards A A       thebabe Fold         X Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.70 monte92 Call   £0.60 £1.50 £6.21 weg276 Fold         rancid Raise   £2.20 £3.70 £38.71 jph194 Fold         X Call   £1.70 £5.40 £18.00 monte92 Fold         Flop     9 Q 9       rancid Bet   £4.05 £9.45 £34.66 X Raise   £10.80 £20.25 £7.20 rancid
    Posted by rancid

These spots can be difficult when we are deep and looking at very wet boards.

In this instance its a pretty easy call for me as only hands beating us are those holding a 9 or a pair of Queens. Opponent could well have J10 or any combo of A/K/Q/Jh, if loose he could have u/s broadway cards and still be happy to get the money in on the flop. Call and hope he misses.
  • edited May 2012
    Can't be folding on this board in 3bet pot 100bb deep IMO, if he's a decent REG he shouldn't have any 9x's here and if he has QQ surely it goes in pre. 

For me most likely AQ/KQ or a strong draw but either way it's a simple shove. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Knowing when to fold big overpairs - cash:
    In Response to Knowing when to fold big overpairs - cash : These spots can be difficult when we are deep and looking at very wet boards.  In this instance its a pretty easy call for me as only hands beating us are those holding a 9 or a pair of Queens. Opponent could well have J10 or any combo of A/K/Q/Jh, if loose he could have u/s broadway cards and still be happy to get the money in on the flop. Call and hope he misses.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Call? really? Thats just blah really. Guys only got £7 behind in a big pot, and is never folding now. So call is pointless. Ship it in or fold is really your only choices here.

As for the hand. Ship it in all day. Yes you may find him flipping over QQ, but to not ship would suck, as only hands you are beaten by right now are trips which are fairly unlikely given preflop action and fact you say he is a solid reg, and so only really then by QQ or 99. He could easy do this with KK, AQ (maybe) and draws etc,

I get the issue with OP, but if we start foding to flop 3bets seeing sets every time it will get just as costly playing them in the long run as losing a buyin when when they do have a set to the other times when they don't. Anyway thats my opinion on it, and its just an opinion, and we all know that everyones got one. Take what you want from it or ignore it. hehe
  • edited May 2012
    u bet this amount to go all in right looks like opponent has a q or a flush draw cant see how he has a 9 here once u 4 bet preflop unlees hes a lag and called with a 9 i be happy to go all in here 
  • edited May 2012
    Don't fold over pairs in 3bet pots 100bb deep in general

Also cbet is too big
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Knowing when to fold big overpairs - cash:
    Don't fold over pairs in 3bet pots 100bb deep in general Also cbet is too big
    Posted by grantorino

why c bet smaller, room to fold some of the time :S

• edited May 2012
    in a 3b pot its usually standard to bet half of pot ish which gives villain room to make a move + the pot is already pretty big so you don't have to bet this much, esp with stacks as they are here
    also it's probz less likely you're bluffing with such a big bet like this
    I'd probz bet £3 in op