You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£22 Dym... can i fold a set? :)

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

This hand is played against a reg player at these stakes, who i have played many games with recently. I know he is tight and that he should therefore have a strong value hand here.

He is a moderate losing dym player overall according to s/s and i think he just grinds for the points. He also knows, or should know, that i turn up with hands alot here too. I cant remember playing that many hands against this dude tho.

what do you think of my lline here...?

I do call but i did tank call... (god im a nit!)

result later...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PjPirate Small blind  15.00 15.00 640.00
GREGHOGG Big blind  30.00 45.00 1940.00
 Your hole cards

lookatme29 Fold     
taylerrace Raise  60.00 105.00 2547.50
XXX Call  60.00 165.00 1815.00
NAILS01197 Fold     
PjPirate Call  45.00 210.00 595.00
GREGHOGG Call  30.00 240.00 1910.00
Flop

• A

PjPirate Check     
GREGHOGG Bet  150.00 390.00 1760.00
taylerrace Fold     
XXX Raise  300.00 690.00 1515.00
PjPirate Fold     
GREGHOGG Call  150.00 840.00 1610.00
Turn

• Q

GREGHOGG Check     
XXX Bet  420.00 1260.00 1095.00
GREGHOGG Call  420.00 1680.00 1190.00
River

GREGHOGG Check     
XXXAll-in  1095.00 2775.00 0.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Gregor - You want to be shipping them chips over the line 'rapido quicklyo' so look to get in on turn, with a check raise all innn. Really hate your check on the river :)
  • edited May 2012
    first off how many point do you get playing these dyms? (at these levels), because i would like some easy points if its worth it.

ref hand, villain calls min open from early now if he is tight he should never have 23, and seeing that he min-raised flop he should never have any 3x(a3?), as it would not make much sense, your beaten by 55, a3 only imo,, and his beatable value range could be aj, aQ, a5s, a4s.

Pot odds wise he is giving you 2.5-1 to call, so you need to be right around 35% to make the call profitable, even vs tight player with us having a set this is good odds, i call this, more info + be it a dym it could be a fold though.

ref line, you flop call sucks imo, love the donk lead btw, just get it in on that flop imo.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £22 Dym... can i fold a set? :):
    Gregor - You want to be shipping them chips over the line 'rapido quicklyo' so look to get in on turn, with a check raise all innn. Really hate your check on the river :)
    Posted by goodylad21
    Ye its not a line i usually take at all! This is why i posted this hand!
  • edited May 2012
    first off how many point do you get playing these dyms? (at these levels), because i would like some easy points if its worth it. ref hand, villain calls min open from early now if he is tight he should never have 23, and seeing that he min-raised flop he should never have any 3x(a3?), as it would not make much sense, your beaten by 55, a3 only imo,, and his beatable value range could be aj, aQ, a5s, a4s. Pot odds wise he is giving you 2.5-1 to call, so you need to be right around 35% to make the call profitable, even vs tight player with us having a set this is good odds, i call this, more info + be it a dym it could be a fold though. ref line, you flop call sucks imo, love the donk lead btw, just get it in on that flop imo.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    In a 22 quid dym you earn 20 cash for points.

In a 55 quid dym you win 50 cash for points etc. etc..

Ye my line is totally screwed, i donk lead to get value from an ace, and when he min raises i thought he could fold a ace to a jam cos my play looks so strong, so i decided to play down the streets in this manner.
  • edited May 2012
    Early level and if you've played him before do you have an idea of his opening range. If tight you expect very tight early on so you are worried about him having AK or AA here...yes?
    Pre flop fine. You've set mined and caught great(8-1 chance lovely!). Rainbow too but Ace is there. Favourable really as keeps him in maybe.
    He check raises you and you are thinking "is his A paired or is it just AK?" You check but at this stage i want to know more and would reraise up to 750 ie 2.5x his raise. It will leave you 1000 and give you your answer, i feel.
    He has enough chips left to fold and isn't pot committed. Personally, i could see his play being exactly the same from here with AA or Ak. His min raise pre is puzzling though but could be a tell you may have seen before. A bit of a slowplay to get peoplein pot with AA. Is that the norm in £22ers? i doubt it, but i don't know as too expensive for me(just herefor less than 1 year and still learning).

Even the way you play it, i'd still call without any notes on his playing tendancies.

CALL AND BE DAMNED, GREG, ...YOU CAN AFFORD IT NOW AFTER SPT CASH!!!

PS EVEN IF IT GOES BADLY WITH AA THEN YOU'VE GAINED VALUABLE INFO ON THIS PLAYER THAT CAN SAVE YOU CHIPS IN THE FUTURE.

• edited May 2012
    I prefer check raise on flop as good flop for taylor to cbet, if I donk out however when he raises me I reraise to get it in.

If you play it really weak by flatting flop I would then check shove turn, but if not there then snap call river all in.

Basically you play 44 pre to hit set and now you consider folding....sigh.

• edited May 2012
    I prefer check raise on flop as good flop for taylor to cbet, if I donk out however when he raises me I reraise to get it in. If you play it really weak by flatting flop I would then check shove turn, but if not there then snap call river all in. Basically you play 44 pre to hit set and now you consider folding....sigh.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I called...

And i was only beating AQ imo. (which he had!)

He could have 55 and AA and play it in the same way. I wasnt worried about flushes or straights...

In hindsight i crai on the turn, but i still only think im getting called by AQ or if im crushed...
  • edited May 2012
    I'd think AA might 3bet pre lol

Also you mention he is losing player overall, anyone who is losing longterm clearly isn't playing in the best way so best not give them too much credit ;)
  • edited May 2012
    I'd think AA might 3bet pre lol Also you mention he is losing player overall, anyone who is losing longterm clearly isn't playing in the best way so best not give them too much credit ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    just cos they are not playing the best way overall, does not mean that in a specific hand against me they cant be playing it in a way for them to maximise the value

always give your opponant credit until proven otherwise
  • edited May 2012
    never folding a set here

get me in on turn - check river only for crai
  • edited May 2012
    im all in on the turn simples 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £22 Dym... can i fold a set? :) : just cos they are not playing the best way overall, does not mean that in a specific hand against me they cant be playing it in a way for them to maximise the value always give your opponant credit until proven otherwise
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yes but value for them can mean something very different to you, i.e raising AQ on the flop with TPGK )

Once I see they lose overall they're gonna be pretty bad to average at best, no point using SS if you don't take advantage of stats you see ;)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £22 Dym... can i fold a set? :) : Yes but value for them can mean something very different to you, i.e raising AQ on the flop with TPGK ) Once I see they lose overall they're gonna be pretty bad to average at best, no point using SS if you don't take advantage of stats you see ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    well i did didnt know that at the time did i mr smartie nit pants :)  I obv thought he had the nutzzzzz

we are talkin about a reg here who bearly lifts a chip, let alone against me...
  • edited May 2012
    If you ever consider folding when you flop a set the way this board has ran out just fold pre, save yaself da hasstle )
  • edited May 2012
    If you ever consider folding when you flop a set the way this board has ran out just fold pre, save yaself da hasstle )
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times i have considered folding a set in my life on a dry board...

this is one of those ultra rare occasions
  • edited May 2012
    what hand are you losing to ?
  • edited May 2012
    what hand are you losing to ?
    Posted by beaneh
    555 mainly
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £22 Dym... can i fold a set? :) : 555 mainly
    Posted by GREGHOGG

are your opponents always jamming 55 when 4straight 3 flush comes in, in a nitty format like DYms?

there are few flush combos and it's hard for him to have a deuce by the river. really cant see folding this hand without very good reads on our opponent.
  • edited May 2012
                          I,d go all in.he had a rag ace,i,m guessing,whats 22quid between frnds,lol