You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Trip Aces: Mini-doublestack, Lv 1

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Who likes my check/call line and who doesnay?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
5figergra Small blind  20.00 20.00 5120.00
BorinLoner Big blind  40.00 60.00 3900.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

susibaker Call  40.00 100.00 3940.00
subsnw Call  40.00 140.00 3900.00
kalooki8 Fold     
supersmith Fold     
5figergra Fold     
BorinLoner Check     
Flop

• A
  • A

BorinLoner Check     
susibaker Check     
subsnw Bet  80.00 220.00 3820.00
BorinLoner Call  80.00 300.00 3820.00
susibaker Fold     
Turn

• Q

BorinLoner Check     
subsnw Bet  120.00 420.00 3700.00
BorinLoner Call  120.00 540.00 3700.00
River

BorinLoner Check     
subsnw Bet  320.00 860.00 3380.00
BorinLoner Call  320.00 1180.00 3380.00
subsnw Show
  • A
  • J

BorinLoner Show
  • A

subsnw Win Three Aces 1180.00  4560.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    readless i don't
    if villain is aggro then it's ok
  • edited May 2012
    In limped pot I'd raise flop for value.

Turn again raise for value.

River call probz ok but still want to build pot earlier for when we're vs worse aces/medium pairs/7x hands. 

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Trip Aces: Mini-doublestack, Lv 1:
    In limped pot I'd raise flop for value. Turn again raise for value. River call probz ok but still want to build pot earlier for when we're vs worse aces/medium pairs/7x hands. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    raise flop is pretty bad - you either have to lead out or c/c
  • edited May 2012
    probably raise pre, as i hate limpers on my bb, from there i think im c/c as well
  • edited May 2012
    It was one of those moments when you flop trips with a middling kicker and just think "Eurgh!... this could be expensive" lol.

I'd never want to get it in on the flop, without reads on the opponent, and I thought I'd let him barrel the turn. If he's got an Ace and I raise the flop, I think it mostly leads to it all going in and I'm not sure I'd like that, even in a limped pot. If he's got a 7 I don't know if he calls a raise...

I was never going to raise pre because it generally leads to playing it multi-way, out of position with a pretty mediocre hand and an inflated pot. I'm not enjoying c-betting into several opponents. I'd probably check here with anything up to AJ. How much do you have to raise it pre-flop to get this heads-up or to take it down? Too much, I think.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Trip Aces: Mini-doublestack, Lv 1 : raise flop is pretty bad - you either have to lead out or c/c
    Posted by percival09
    More chance they have worse aces after limping than better ones IMO so can't see why you can't raise for value, fwiw I lead out almost always anyway but if check I like raising for value from weak aces that won't fold.

Also C/C is good if you think they like trying to bluff you off. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Trip Aces: Mini-doublestack, Lv 1 : More chance they have worse aces after limping than better ones IMO so can't see why you can't raise for value, fwiw I lead out almost always anyway but if check I like raising for value from weak aces that won't fold. Also C/C is good if you think they like trying to bluff you off. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    It was an exercise in pot control, really. After check-calling the flop I think I can check the turn and allow it to guide my play on the river: If he checks it back I can confidently value-bet the river and if he bets I always check-call on the river... I didn't lead the flop because, on such a dry flop, I'm pretty confident it turns my Ace face-up. Would I really lead with a 7? (Well, maybe some excitables would but I wouldn't) I think I get more value from pocket pairs, 7's or Q's if I go for the check-call on the flop and check the turn.

Got to be confident that he has at least an Ace after his bet on the turn, so I assume nobody would raise on the river. Correct?
  • edited May 2012
    by raising you make most hands fold - yes you'll occasionally get a weaker A and win an ok pot but you'll never be sure you're good plus if you're then raised you're in a tough spot

c/c is ok but I'd only do it vs an aggro opponent, leading out is definitely the best line imo

fwiw raise pre for value

• edited May 2012
    plus c/r is so strong - by leading out or c/c your hand isn't polarised
  • edited May 2012
    checking pf means you will be playing the hand vs 2 opponents oop - with an A on the flop you won't know where you are, and A10 doesn't flop well. Unlucky to be up against another one with AA on the flop, but if you had have raised pf you would be more confident that he had a decent made hand when he bet. By merely flatting you should be prepared to let it go, or to raise if you think you are ahead.
  • edited May 2012
    think it's fine
  • edited May 2012
    Have no idea why you arent raising pre.

Think line post is fine tho.