You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Medium pocket pairs over rated?

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I find in tournaments when blinds are high and you get to the stage where you need to shove, if you go all in with an AK for example, you often get called by people with medium pairs.

Calling for all your stack with pocket 9s, good move or not? personally i rarely call, as in my opinion the best you can hope for is racing 50/50 or you're dominated

Is it something that is seen at all levels or just low stakes?  would you put all your stack on a medium pair 6s-10s say late on in tournies?

Comments

• edited November 2009

Ever time if my stack is short/medium.

• edited November 2009
      For me low to medium to low pairs make great shoving hands but bad calling hands. It is like you said pretty much the best you can hope for is a race.If you shove with them you give your self 2 chances of winning the pot.

Chip stacks come into play here as well. If you massively outchip the other player who is pushing then the call is the right thing to do because it is their tournament on the line not yours on this coinflip. But the genaeral point with any hand is shove all-in dont call for all your stack
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Medium pocket pairs over rated?:
      For me low to medium to low pairs make great shoving hands but bad calling hands. It is like you said pretty much the best you can hope for is a race.If you shove with them you give your self 2 chances of winning the pot.   Chip stacks come into play here as well. If you massively outchip the other player who is pushing then the call is the right thing to do because it is their tournament on the line not yours on this coinflip. But the genaeral point with any hand is shove all-in dont call for all your stack
    Posted by Talon
    Fairly solid advice against unknowns in an MTT. It depends on their chipstacks and how much damage they will do to yours. If you only need to call off 20% of your stack with 88-99 then go ahead, since the value of your chips in relation to your equity in the pot is much less, thus making your call much more profitable when up against a shortstack, who's value of his chips are much greater in relation to his equity since he has put 100% of his stack at risk.

I may be totally wrong (plz correct me if i am lol, you'd be doing me a favour :D), as I haven't played many MTTs recently, but this was my general though process on the issue??
  • edited November 2009
    i  like to  see  flops  with  medium  pocket  pairs   as  for   pushing  all  in  late  in  a tourney   depends  how short  stack   i  am
  • edited November 2009
    if you have less than 6 big blinds AND YOU HIT PP, in any tourney at any stage,, i would Push.

In most cases if it is late in a tourney there will be less fish, and at this stage less likely to want u to double up.

TRY TO WAIT FOR THE RIGHT POSITION BEFORE DOING,,,BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO DO IT UNDER THE GUN..

Seen many people come back from the dead with a PP, thats when you need to be at your luckiest..

GL   

• edited November 2009
    with medium pairs, if I am going to play them at all, depends on action from players already, I want to win the pot before the flop.  Chances are if there is a large card on the flop you will be dominated.

Waiting to try and hit a set is a dangerous strategy that can cost you your tournament.