You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Greg asked me to post this.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Interesting hand perhaps...
    River_Fox Small blind  15.00 15.00 3530.00
    DIRTYD4N Big blind  30.00 45.00 3400.00
     Your hole cards

clanfan86 Raise  90.00 135.00 1835.00
    rospink Fold     
    illyas Fold     
    Eyeman Call  90.00 225.00 2667.50
    River_Fox Call  75.00 300.00 3455.00
    DIRTYD4N Fold     
    Flop

River_Fox Check     
    clanfan86 Bet  225.00 525.00 1610.00
    Eyeman Call  225.00 750.00 2442.50
    River_Fox Call  225.00 975.00 3230.00
    Turn

River_Fox Check     
    clanfan86 Check     
    Eyeman Bet  600.00 1575.00 1842.50
    River_Fox Call  600.00 2175.00 2630.00
    clanfan86 All-in  1610.00 3785.00 0.00
    Eyeman Call  1010.00 4795.00 832.50
    River_Fox All-in  2630.00 7425.00 0.00
    Eyeman All-in  832.50 8257.50 0.00
    River_Fox Unmatched bet  787.50 7470.00 787.50
    River_Fox Show
    • x
    • x

clanfan86 Show
    • x
    • x

Eyeman Show
    • x
    • x

River

xx Win xx xx  xx 
  • edited May 2012

since graham spoke to me about this hand elsewhere and hasnt said its tonights £24 SPT Blackpool sat.

Offered advice but i suspect i may be wrong, keen to see replies.

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Greg asked me to post this.:
    Nh
    Posted by grantorino
    Obv pre, and flop is 100% standard. As is calling off, as played on the river.

I was merely querying the bet on the turn. is there a need to bet. this is a sattelite, and there is a 1 card str8 on the board...
  • edited May 2012
    Sat might change things if it's near bubble, also didn't notice it was 3 way. Think it's still a bet though

• edited May 2012
    To expand. This was a 27 field 1 in 10 sat for blackpool - so 2 places plus cash on offer. Fairly early on (see blinds).

I am happy with my play tbh, knew I was likely to be behind someone when all the chips went in, but couldn't possibly fold at that point.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Greg asked me to post this. : Obv pre, and flop is 100% standard. As is calling off, as played on the river. I was merely querying the bet on the turn. is there a need to bet. this is a sattelite, and there is a 1 card str8 on the board...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I sort of agree that by betting the turn you're only going to build a big pot against a pretty narrow range, some of which we beat - two-pairs and lower sets - and some of which we don't. I don't think the fact that it's a satellite is an argument against building the pot here, though, because it's such a top-heavy payout structure and therefore practically requires a winner-takes-all approach.

I don't think it's the worst bet in the world but I think it would be better to check-raise all-in or see a free river. However, since it's such a top-heavy structure, I would have 3-bet it pre-flop.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm reading that now... and I'm not sure it makes sense. We don't want to go broke early on but we want to get maximum value from our hands when we have them. That's what I mean by a winner-takes-all approach. Nothing wrong with just hanging around with 10BB for the majority of the tournament, though.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Greg asked me to post this. : I sort of agree that by betting the turn you're only going to build a big pot against a pretty narrow range, some of which we beat - two-pairs and lower sets - and some of which we don't. I don't think the fact that it's a satellite is an argument against building the pot here, though, because it's such a top-heavy payout structure and therefore practically requires a winner-takes-all approach. I don't think it's the worst bet in the world but I think it would be better to check-raise all-in or see a free river. However, since it's such a top-heavy structure, I would have 3-bet it pre-flop.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    last to act so that takes away the c/r option
  • edited May 2012
    I knew there was something that didn't make sense. Just check it through, then. :)
  • edited May 2012
    I check the turn i think to use advantage of position. There is a one card straight out. one or both of my opponants could have the 6... Ok they can have sets too, and overpairs and 2 pairs but i would think they would bet these out on the turn any random 6 can safely check tho.  So my thoughts are there is little value in betting the turn.

By betting 600 we obv have no option to stack off, as played.. But if we check, we could fold if there is heavy action on the river if we dont house up... Or we can limit our losses.

If we do house up, we can still get value from the str8 on the river if someone has one.

As for 3 betting preflop, against an utg raise, readless, its not for me. I think Graham played the hand spot on pre, and on the flop. The turn was my only query, but obv, its fine. I just wondered who would check thats all... Cue all nits pls!
  • edited May 2012
    I check the turn i think to use advantage of position. There is a one card straight out. one or both of my opponants could have the 6... Ok they can have sets too, and overpairs and 2 pairs but i would think they would bet these out on the turn any random 6 can safely check tho.  So my thoughts are there is little value in betting the turn. By betting 600 we obv have no option to stack off, as played.. But if we check, we could fold if there is heavy action on the river if we dont house up... Or we can limit our losses. If we do house up, we can still get value from the str8 on the river if someone has one. As for 3 betting preflop, against an utg raise, readless, its not for me. I think Graham played the hand spot on pre, and on the flop. The turn was my only query, but obv, its fine. I just wondered who would check thats all... Cue all nits pls!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I aint no nit... but I check it back, lol. Just to be clear, I don't mind betting the turn and I don't think there's too much wrong with playing it this way. On the other hand I would 3-bet it pre-flop because:

If I flat-call I'm expecting alot of the time that one of the blinds will come along. Now I think it's tough for us to win the pot on the flop when we don't hit our set. By 3-betting I'll gain the betting lead and will build a slightly bigger pot on the flop, more textures of which I'll be able to represent more easily. I might take it down pre-flop too. I'd make it 210 or so, pre-flop. Of course that means I'll be folding to any 4-bet but I don't mind that so much.

I railed the final table, so I know who won this hand. Without wanting to insult anyone I've got to say that, given what I saw on that final table, there's good value in these sats. Not much knowledge of satellite strategy was on show. Of course, when Greg and I won our seats it was alot tougher. ;)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Greg asked me to post this. : I aint no nit... but I check it back, lol. Just to be clear, I don't mind betting the turn and I don't think there's too much wrong with playing it this way. On the other hand I would 3-bet it pre-flop because: If I flat-call I'm expecting alot of the time that one of the blinds will come along. Now I think it's tough for us to win the pot on the flop when we don't hit our set. By 3-betting I'll gain the betting lead and will build a slightly bigger pot on the flop, more textures of which I'll be able to represent more easily. I might take it down pre-flop too. I'd make it 210 or so, pre-flop. Of course that means I'll be folding to any 4-bet but I don't mind that so much. I railed the final table, so I know who won this hand. Without wanting to insult anyone I've got to say that, given what I saw on that final table, there's good value in these sats. Not much knowledge of satellite strategy was on show. Of course, when Greg and I won our seats it was alot tougher. ;)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Sometimes it's easier playing against better players. I got into this for a fiver, and am reasonably confident of making it before the end of the month, if not - looks like a £220 buy in :/
  • edited May 2012
    I 100% agree with Greg. 3-way im checking turn
  • edited May 2012
    In a SAT easy check behind IMO, see the river and get paid if board pairs. Betting here is pretty thin and with two oppo's who called flop a decent chance one has a 6 for a pair + gutshot draw on flop.

Betting gets value from flushdraws, worse sets, possible 8x hands but mulitway defo best to check.

Also in regards to 3betting pre I really don't like this as it makes the pot very large with a hand that is hard to play postflop when overcards inevitably hit, yes pure set-mining is a bit weak but you are getting the right odds to do so.
  • edited May 2012
    I haven't read the other comments, but pre and flop is OK, I'd shove the turn.. your pretty unlucky if they have a 6, and you will probs get paid if clanfan has an overpair.

3 bet pre is possible, to keep the hand HU or take it pre, also puts the pressure back on the OR
  • edited May 2012
    C/r turn would be bad imo even if it was possible
  • edited May 2012
    C/r turn would be bad imo even if it was possible
    Posted by grantorino
    Well, obviously I didn't realise he was on the button, but let's say he wasn't: Would you prefer a check-call? Anything more than a half-pot bet is going to be a significant proportion of our stack to call. I assume you're not going to check-fold so are you just saying you'd prefer to lead the turn?
    I actually think there are some pretty good arguments for folding to the bet on the flop.

I'm a little surprised that people think it's tougher to play this hand on the flop if we raise it pre-flop. I'd have thought it was alot easier.
  • edited May 2012
    Like call pre.  Like call on flop.   check all day every day on turn.