You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL20 KKK A Kicker, cooler? How big is this hand? How could I play it better?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Just looking for general advice on this hand and how I can improve my play please. I did write a huge post about I am starting to try and learn cash, cash game mentality, blah blah blah but somehow lost it all :-(. Probably a good thing for anyone who reads it anyway.

The villain is down as loose passive and has yet to fold pre-flop once he's limped in. I have isolated him twice so far in position.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
JohnConnor Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £24.67
yoza Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £10.63
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

MOREBOY Fold     
scouse_ste Fold     
GoonerDup Fold     
xxx Call  £0.20 £0.50 £14.82
JohnConnor Raise  £0.70 £1.20 £23.97
yoza Fold     
xxxCall  £0.60 £1.80 £14.22
Flop

• K
  • J

JohnConnor Bet  £0.90 £2.70 £23.07
xxxCall  £0.90 £3.60 £13.32
Turn

• K

JohnConnor Bet  £1.80 £5.40 £21.27
xxxRaise  £3.60 £9.00 £9.72
JohnConnor Call  £1.80 £10.80 £19.47
River

JohnConnor Bet  £10.80 £21.60 £8.67
xxx All-in  £9.72 £31.32 £0.00
JohnConnor Unmatched bet  £1.08 £30.24 £9.75
JohnConnor Show
  • K
  • A

xxxShow
  • J
  • J

xxxWin Full House, Jacks and Kings £28.72  £28.72

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Just a cooler, noone's folding once the flop comes out and the turn should have been a shove.
  • edited May 2012
    pre is fine imo, but i would c/bet bigger, and get it in on the turn as played, you cant fold trips vs fish, UL.
  • edited May 2012
    cooler nowt u can do when king comes on turn played itself
  • edited May 2012
    bet bigger flop/turn
  • edited May 2012

Size flop and turn to try and set up a river jam for 3/4 of pot-ish.....

bet/bet/shove. 

1.20/3.65/rest   - ish. 
  • edited May 2012
    Cool, thanks guys very helpful.
  • edited May 2012
    Yes defo more on flop and turn for value.

Also don't understand just calling turn raise, I get it in here, and if I don't get it in you have to check river IMO as you just fold out any bluffs he might have. It just doesn't make sense bet/call turn then open shove river, you want to keep up the story you're weak on river, checking gives that impression then you go all in or call his bet at that stage. 
  • edited May 2012
    Pre-flop is fine.

Flop: I probably c-bet slightly bigger, it's a dry flop, but our opponent has limp/called, he's either missed and will fold, or will station us with some junk, whether it's a straight draw, middle pair, or whatever, so let's charge him. I'd probably go for £1.20 or £1.30 here

Turn: Our opponent's line is either really strong, or he has nothing and is representing massive strength. I doubt the sort of player that limp/calls the button pre-flop is going to be thinking or know what he's doing enough to take this line with a bluff, so I'd probably put him on a King and value shove once he min raises us.

Oh, and also, we should bet more. If we bet £1.20 or £1.30 on the flop as suggested, we can then bet like, £3.50 on the turn and set ourselves up for a river shove.

River: Shove is bad IMO once we've only flatted the raise on the turn. The river is the biggest brick in the entire deck. If our opponent min-raised the turn for value, then he's never going to check back that river. If he is doing some crazy bluff, then we're going to get a fold when we shove, whereas if we check to him, he may try to bluff us. 

As it turns out, I don't think it matters what you do in this hand, the money is always going in anyway.
  • edited May 2012
    Its pretty much only ever a flopped set given play on turn.  leading river is plain kamikaze.

C/c river.  Was in exactly same spot K84K2 (holding KQ) yesterday.  Its a set (improved to FH) or bluff.  If its a bluff he folds out to the lead in anycase.  Always c/c this line.
  • edited May 2012
    Disagree it's always flopped set or bluff against villain as described

Think river is c/c, if you are going to donk river just shove turn
  • edited May 2012
    Hadnt seen description :p

Online its still a c/c for me tho
  • edited May 2012
    bet more flop & turn

get it on turn unless oppo is capable of bluffing this spot, if so check river

oppo could over/miss play AJ or something so in someways the river donk is fine -

oppo line is very strong on turn, but I don't think anyone folds this spot

• edited May 2012
    just a cooler this is only kind of hand a loose passive player makes cash due to their style. its hard to put even an abc player on this hand so got to take it on the chin wouldnt let it stay on my mind too long
  • edited May 2012
    Only telling part of your post that maybe gets you off it is the fact you put him as loose passive. So when passive people start reraising then have a big hand. So only can be that he has a king of fullhouse for me when he reraises turn. I mean hell he doesn't even raise JJ on teh button, so that is soooooo passive its silly, and if you had that notes on him being that passive his reraise would have been an ugly sign.. still damn hard to lay this hand down when only a boat is beating you, and he could possibly just have the case king.