You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK, what to do here?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Level 2 £150 ds tourney,

I was a bit spooked by the 10x raise,
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
panderys1 Small blind  15.00 15.00 4990.00
jjjach Big blind  30.00 45.00 4800.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

misspiggy Raise  300.00 345.00 3905.00
davelufc ???? 

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I can't see you stack size but presume you have around 4000?

Depends on reads but defo not folding either call IP or 3bet to get it in.
  • edited May 2012
    Thats a big raise UTG. I know standard thinking is maybe to think about getting it all in, but that is a raise from someone not wanting action other htan from someone with a hand. Its not going to be as a blind steal, or some medium PP. Can't see it being less than AQ or JJ (1010 maybe) with a raise that big. Ok, maybe, as no idea of the player, but still from UTG I'm be surprised.

Got a horrible feeling I may do something really pathetic and fold and I hate that soooooo bad with AK, just not sure I want to feel like I'm flipping 2nd level of a deep stack and quite likely in far worse trouble than just a flip. Feel free to abuse me people for being such a nit. :D

Also, said before my tournament poker isn't my thing, so could be that doing this is -ev long term, and a reraise with idea to get it all in is best, but still have a feeling you were in deep water on this occasion. 
  • edited May 2012
    Call and look for that A or K. He may have 'hang-ups' with JJ and TT and likes to bet big as opposed to set mine with lower pairs. I'd be tempted to call and see what the flop brings and guage his bet as you have position on him. I'm saying this assuming that you have, say, 400, so are betting less than 10% of your stack. All the best...
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    I fold and here's why. Anyone who opens for 10x clearly isn't going to be Phil Ivey. Either it's a hand that doesn't want action or it's aces betting for value thinking that some donk is bound to pay him off. Since it's unlikely to be a worse ace then we are flipping against TT-QQ and drawing thin against KK/AA. Don't want to be taking flips against donks this early in a deep structured tournement. If you lose then you reduce your ICM dramatically or worse you are out of the tournement and if you win you do not double your chances of winning the thing. Instead your chances increas a bit and the rest of the equity is shared among the rest of the players.
    If you call then I would guess that this guy is going to bet out on any flop. Even if you flop an ace or king or both you cannot rule out aces or kings and most times you will find your self facing a pot sized bet with ace high.
    Better to fold and note if for later. If he does it again then you know it's probably just a medium pair or something. But there's too much at risk in this early level.
  • edited May 2012
    Thanx for the replies, i was thinking exactly what kam99 and jugglegeek were saying,

Not my most interesting post but cheers anyway.!!!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    panderys1 Small blind  15.00 15.00 4990.00
    jjjach Big blind  30.00 45.00 4800.00
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

misspiggy Raise  300.00 345.00 3905.00
    davelufc Fold     
    jamlad Fold     
    mossy2222 Fold     
    panderys1 Fold     
    jjjach Fold