You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Not understanding opponents play - MTT early stages

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok only reason im posting this is simply i dont understand this play from the $27 SCOOP event 37-L. The reason again is i want to be able to understand situations im in sometimes so that i can make the correct desision long term, although i believe i made the right desision this time. Result doesnt matter i just wana understand.

Villian Reads: Hes 3bet me on a few occassions, i think twice i just folded the other 2 seen me peel in posision once and i 4betting the other time. He snap folded to the 4bet.

My play previous: Previously ive 3bet 4 times only one of which got to showdown which was aces. Ive 4bet twice, once calling off to a 5bet with QQ the other was v this villian was JJ but didnt get shown so i believe is irellievent to this subject. Times ive got to showdown AA v QT QJxxx board, QQ v AK (all in pre), KdJs v AsTh board read QdTc4d9dXs. I have however been very active but these are my only showdowns. lots of opening and close to a 100% cbet ratio.

Onto this hand im on the BTN with Kings.

Starting stack 10k. my current stack is 24.5k and villians stack is currently 19k.

Folded to the cutoff who raises to 300
I 3bet from BTN to 750
SB folds
BB 4bets to 1500
CO folds
I 5bet to 4200
BB tanks and uses about 40 seconds of his timebank and 6bets to 8800
I wait about 5 seconds and ship
BB snaps AQ.

Now result doesnt matter, but im curious as to why my opponent takes this line. Im self admitted to not understanding it. I really dont think he can be valueing AQ that good by now, and obviously i aint going to fold better often, so that confuses me slightly.

Sorry for this not being actual hand history i shut down pc and i dont know how to get previous mtt hands after reloading on this site.

Also sorry for this not being a weird kinda clinic post, ive tried discussing it privatleywith other players and still dont understand it, so thought id post here.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Seems like you had some dynamic lvling war going.

He obv isnt 6bet half his stack folding.  So once he has made that mistake he has to run with it.

But seems like was slight lvling war given activity that you speak of.  You speak of 5 pots where have at least been 3bet either side.  Perhaps he felt AQ was solid enough to go to war, not expecting anything beyond the 6 bet, tbf what hands do you continue with :p.

Likely combo of dynamic & spew
  • edited May 2012
    On this site you can save your hand history onto your hard drive:

Go to "Options", then "Instant Hand History Options". There you can select a folder to save your hands to for 30 days or longer if you like. Simply check the box marked "Save My Hands History".
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah might be a levelling issue that caused him to get out of shape with AQ, as yeah normally your AQ would be playing very badly against a 5bet range as its normally the goods. Don't mind him making the 4bet due to opening and 3bet being CO and BTN, but think he should have mucked after your 5bet, and clearly he knew that but managed to convince himself you were at it, wrongly so.

Guess he hit the ace, but yeah just one of those days you're glad they make the mistake and hate the outcome. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Not understanding opponents play - MTT early stages:
    On this site you can save your hand history onto your hard drive: Go to "Options", then "Instant Hand History Options". There you can select a folder to save your hands to for 30 days or longer if you like. Simply check the box marked "Save My Hands History".
    Posted by BorinLoner
    justr checked and i already have that set up, now where do i find em?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Not understanding opponents play - MTT early stages : justr checked and i already have that set up, now where do i find em?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Still on the "Hand History Options" pop-up thingy, right next to the button that says "Change Folder..." there should be a button that says "Open Folder". Click that.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Not understanding opponents play - MTT early stages : Still on the "Hand History Options" pop-up thingy, right next to the button that says "Change Folder..." there should be a button that says "Open Folder". Click that.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    ah ty, sigh i set it up ages ago and never hit "save my hand historys" sigh. ty anyways.

Good responces guys never actually thought of the hand becomming leveled. Id actually taken a shot in this where i decided if i sell 50% ill play it, i sold the full 50% so i played it. I decided to play my natural game, mostly playing posision unfortunetly i ran eriously hot in terms of whole cards, i dnt think ive ever seen AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AQ so many times in 2 and a half hours play. Obviously this effected how i was playing and how people persieve me. As stated was really struggling to figure this one out expesssially considering the 3 hands ive got to showdown to on this table.

Obviously a level makes sense. I spoke to Dohhhh inparticular and he suggested the opponent sees his hand as a value hand and isnt 4bet folding, and i think that was making it harder for me to understand simply because i dont believe once i 5bet AQ is any longer a value hand. Obviously thats because i know my game. JJ was obviously having a whale of a time trying to explain this too me so i thought id post it here.

ty
  • edited May 2012
    u must of been like uber active aggro if oppo goes to war w/AQ :)

probably just got sick and tired of you and went mad !
  • edited May 2012
    u must of been like uber active aggro if oppo goes to war w/AQ :) probably just got sick and tired of you and went mad !
    Posted by rancid
    thats wht i couldnt understand i hadnt been m8. Defo more active than normal as i said whole card run good. But only opening mostly with a high cbet %. Only 4 3bets and 2 4bets. Everytime it got to showdown i had the goods.
  • edited May 2012
    I told you Don he wud have had his HUD stats up on you, there must have been something on his display that convinced him AQ was gonna be good. You were playing alot of hands, as you were getting alot of hands. But he didn't know that. 

He'd 3b you a few hands before, and snap folded to your 4bet......

(btw you 4bet jacks there, I assume if he 5bet shoves, you're snap calling him off, despite not fairing very well against his 5bet value range? Kinda the same thing.)

• edited May 2012
    I told you Don he wud have had his HUD stats up on you, there must have been something on his display that convinced him AQ was gonna be good. You were playing alot of hands, as you were getting alot of hands. But he didn't know that.  He'd 3b you a few hands before, and snap folded to your 4bet...... (btw you 4bet jacks there, I assume if he 5bet shoves, you're snap calling him off, despite not fairing very well against his 5bet value range? Kinda the same thing.)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    actually that was the 5th straight time he'd 3bet me so i believed by that stage the 3b was light. I dno, probably not. I dnt think jacks fair well when he 5bets. nbot willing to put 100BB over the line v a range that crushes me.
  • edited May 2012
    if oppo was a stars regular as dohhhhh says he/she was probably playing all scoop events and would have had a split second opinion of you based on the hud stats

• edited May 2012
                            stick with sky,u,ll be safer lol