You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL200 - Not a scooby where I am

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Player 1 is a very good, extremely aggressive reg.  Valid history is they have been saying how many times they've run Kings into Aces in the last couple of days on these Mastercash nl200 tables.

Player 2 has been having a bad session thus far, been very passive and looking to see nearly all flops.  They have been reloading on a few occasions and we're confident we are well ahead of their range.

Player 3 has put money into every single pot thus far.

Neither 2 or 3 are not Regs as far as I am aware.  I have been raising to Iso 2 and 3 a lot, they are normally coming in together.

The normal critique on all the play is welcomed, what do we do with this flop and what range do we assign player 1?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TommyD Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £442.20
Player1 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £421.82
Player3 Big blind  £2.00 £5.00 £346.53
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

scotty77 Fold     
lJAMESl Raise  £10.00 £15.00 £572.58
Player3 Call  £8.00 £23.00 £338.53
Player2 Call  £10.00 £33.00 £65.00
TommyD Raise  £38.00 £71.00 £404.20
Player1 Call  £37.00 £108.00 £384.82
lJAMESl Fold     
Player3 Call  £29.00 £137.00 £309.53
Player2All-in  £65.00 £202.00 £0.00
TommyD Raise  £88.00 £290.00 £316.20
Player1 Call  £88.00 £378.00 £296.82
Player3 Fold     
Flop

• J

TommyD  

Comments

• edited May 2012
    bit above me but can only put player 1 on 10 10 , JJ or the other QQ
    by comment u make  can u add kk to his range?

looks a good table for 200nl
  • edited May 2012
    I predict, a riot. As crazy as it sounds (and after getting a no ace no king flop which just makes it even worse) but gotta be a check, only getting called by better unless he has 1010 which I doubt after his call of 88 more. Still playing 150BB wich just makes it disgusting to have to possibly fold with less than a pot sized bet!! So we must be narrowing his range to purely PP's of 10's +
    3 of which have us crushed, and not gonna be getting much value from 10's. and Q's is obv so unlikely and I would've thought there would have been a lot of 3 betting especiallywith the added dead money of the Players 2 + 3. Long way of saying as an agg reg, player 1 would be cold 4betting if he had the other pair of queens I would imagine.

Sooo I dunno what are on about tommy, ez check/fold!!!! But srsly wouldnt have a clue! Hope that helped :p
  • edited May 2012
    looks like a majorly spew spot tommy, does JJ, AA, KK make up enough of his range? I know its a big pot but would he flat that much of his stack with Jacks. And surley he has to know your fold equity has gone pre so id expect a shove with AA/KK.

Weird spot, i stack but im a fish.

Would be very interested to see what happened.
  • edited May 2012
    Flat there seems ubber strong and stinks of JJ to me mate :(
  • edited May 2012

Alriite Tommy, i was owned by you in H/U yesterday, im glad the Sky did not show those hands lol, you have a great "pay off" style, Ace high looks pretty vs you, so you are dangerous when you have a hand!

Ref hand, Tricky spot, player 1's (is he boonicon?) cold call is either AK, QQ, KK, JJ, (200bb though could be wider?). . . KKs in there because of what you said in OP, i thnk c-betting/shoving never gets called by worse! so you just have to check imo, hope it goes to show down and that your QQ are good, also i would not worry about protecting your hand here either.

• edited May 2012
    No way out !
    Have to check, but not loving it !
    don't see how you c/f or b/f !
    think ply 1 is very narrow AA/KK/AK

• edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL200 - Not a scooby where I am:
    WIDRR :P
    Posted by AMYBR
    Sorry -what does widdr mean? Not up with tweet lingo.
    But I think check/call or check/fold if too big a bet. .........but what does an nl4 know?
  • edited May 2012

very interested to see the result of this one (if there is one)

Well above my level but 10's, J's & AK all look feasible possibilities, really don't see any way out of this spot though, not sure I could check fold here.

• edited May 2012

I don't play cash BUT could I ask why you made it £88?  Surely if you wanted to get rid of player 1 it should have been MUCH bigger?  I think you're between a rock & a hard place here!  Personally, I think a check feigns weakness and If you c/bet  (£110/120)  it's all going in I suspect?

pad

• edited May 2012
    WIDR = When in doubt raise

WIDRR = When in doubt re reaise.

Mostly kidding though as not a huge subscriber to the line :)
  • edited May 2012
    think ur 4b pre is way too big, its like £127 total right?

kind of like just flatting the jam pre to keep player3 in and possibly let player1 do something stupid

now were here prob c/cing flop depending on villains bet size
  • edited May 2012
    I don't like this spot very much.

What did you do?
  • edited May 2012

You have to love a hand where you're told your 5bet is both too small and too big.

I posted this at the tail end of a long Sunday session, coming back to it fresh it looks even more of a headache.  I will be posting results, you might see it on Top of the Pots, but only a might depending on what else has been running this week, not too many big games this week.

To answer some questions from the responses so far:

It's a 5bet, not a 4bet.  If I am correct reading the history (which is tricky here) and from memory it's a min raise + a half from the 4bet shorty jam.

Let's list the action preflop:  fold, UTG+1 5Xraise, flat, flat, 3bet, cold call, original UTG+1 raiser folds, call, 4bet short shove, 5bet, flat, fold.

I kind of want to be flamed for the 5bet, or at least get it right under the microscope.  Let's look at our options.  If I call I'm taking QQ from the SB into a very likely 4-way pot (albeit with one player all in).  The three of us are still relatively deep.  I am less than thrilled by this prospect and am reduced to guessing my way through the streets.  Equally I hate going bigger which leaves me completely committed to the pot, especially when I'm already suspicious of Player 1.  What is he cold calling from the BB a SB 3bet to an UTG+1 5x raise with?  The added wrinkle is that I have been isolating Players 2 and 3 a lot so my range is bigger than it normally is in the eyes of both Player 1 and James, and then again I'm still 3betting OOP a 5x open from a player who is both UTG+1 and much better than me.

I think I've gone cross-eyed now just trying to put this together.

The 5bet was an attempt at a secondary isolate raise (I think I'm just making terms up now).  If Player 1 folds I am pretty confident that Player 3 is calling, in which case I would be very confident of being ahead and on this flop would be shoveling money into the middle confident of being called by any Jack, any pocket pair and most straight draw/pair and draw (yes, this wide versus Player 3).  I am still very suspicious of Player 1's holding and I tried to gauge a bet where I am not committed to a shove but where he can't just call, he'll either be shoving or folding, opening my attention up to Player 3.  I obviously got this ghastly wrong, I was really massively surprised when he just called.  Maybe I shouldn't have been?

So short answer, it's a 5bet/most likely fold to Player 1, and a 5bet/get it in to player 3.  Is this really bad thinking?  Feel free to tell me, be as brutal as you like.  Is a 5bet/fold ever a good idea, let alone with Queens?  I'm not trying to turn Queens into a bluff v Player 1 but I am trying to give the impression of 'Yes I know there are loose players in the pot but I really am big.  Yes I know I've been saying that quite a lot but this time it's really true, please go away.'

Some other quick answers, no it's not Boonicon but let's not play the 'guess the regs' game.  They are a reg, IMO they are good and aggressive.  I have a fair amount of history with them but not as much as some other Regs.

Yes it was a good NL200 game, that's why it was still running at 4am this morning.  I'm on my 12th cup of coffee today.

• edited May 2012
    A couple points of note:

Player 1's call of the 5bet and obviously the cold call of the 3bet do not close the action, in fact the later has three players with action behind.

My 3 bet sizing is directly relative to Player 2's stack and trying not to get snookered by an under-raise shove.  He was due to pop at this point and get all the discs over the line in an act of desperation.
  • edited May 2012
    imo when u 5 bet and opponent just flats this im ruling out kk or aa surely he would fast play it so ruling them out on this flop only hadn im worried about is a set of jacks i cant see him having ace jack surely woulda beeen a fold pre im c-betting a lot here tricky spot if u get shoved on tho but i would have to call as only hand is beating u i think is a set of jacks if guy has a j happy days 
  • edited May 2012
    Think your right about being suspect regarding player 1 holding, when he flats twice with players to act behind

plus on the flop, as it's going to showdown anyway is it less likely if you check that oppo makes a play here with worse

• edited May 2012
    I can see why you are worried here.

I think that AA/KK are reasonable to keep either player 2 or 3 in the pot (whoever isn't all in I dunno I'm confused about this already....kind of like how I played the AA a tad earlier in the session.

This could be a scenario where you bet for info.  With the shortstack all in there is no way that player 1 is gonna be making a move on you light and if he does raise here you are pretty sure you are behind.  Seems a bit sucky and bad tho....

• edited May 2012
    Think eveyone who's posted is curious to know how this one turned out... so?! :p
  • edited May 2012
    Fair play, results time.

I check, he checks behind.

Turn brings a King.

I check/fold to a £90 bet

Player 1 has AKo which has Player 2's A2o drawing dead to scoop the pot.

Looking back I think the critical point is the 5bet.  I maintain it is most likely a flat takes us 4 way to the flop and playing the SB I'm pretty much hating that.  But maybe my thinking that Player 1 'has to shove or fold.' is skewed.  Turning Queens face up versus one player while betting for value with it against another player is, for me, likely to be the equivalent of trying to turn lead into gold.  Is my thinking totally out of whack with the 5bet and reasons behind it?  All opinions welcome, and I do mean all.  A lot of people have said it's 'above their level.'  Hogwash, it's all blinds, cards and people, regardless of the stakes and all opinions are relevant.

Looking at it from the AK's spot, that's pretty naughty as well.  This deep do they cold 4bet?  And as played what do you do facing the 5bet?

Clearing up a few bits, I understand the thinking behind the info bet as suggested by Ryan, but as well as agreeing it feels a bit sickly to do it I also think if I put any more money into the pot I'm pretty pot stuck and drawing to two cards the vast majority of the time.  Can I bet/fold £90 on the flop?  Seems really bad to me turning Queens into a bluff here, because that's basically what I'm doing.

Sometimes I kinda miss the old me.  The one that would say 'I have an over pair, SHOVE SHOVE SHOVE.'  He was cute.
  • edited May 2012
    hmmm, that sucks lol

not sure anyone suggested to bet on the flop to protect your hand haha, but neither is it a spot where you'd ever have to think you would need to :S

to me, flatting the 3-bet from player 1's point of view is fairenough, but to then call another £88 (with what he must realise is a pot bet on the flop to cover him) and 95 percent of the time hes gonne be facing a bet on every flop (this is in the 5% i guess! ;p).

Is he hoping your gonna stack off with K's/Q's on an ace high flop? (because surely they must now know that your range is purely JJ+ at a minimum and AK) seems a bit crazy to call off £126 (63BB's)  (obviously hes never doing it out of a 100BB stack, so thats his only redemption thats hes sitting 210BB's deep but then where would his value come from post flop? :s (actually when you have Q's and board comes 10JQ, i guess that would be nice, butttttttttttt... :p
    what are your opinions to that out of interest?
  • edited May 2012
    i did say c-bet would of won :) hindsight a wonderfull thing i just thought aa or kk wouldnt just flat a 5 bet pre so on this flop looked like set of jacks n chances are  more like a j  aq  ak so woulda c - bet hoping he had a j 
  • edited May 2012

I actually didn't post on this hand before the results but my opinion was it might have been AK rather than anything else to flat twice. Mainly as no issue with flatting the 3bet with postion on you and then when the 5bet comes with the others bloating the pot he is getting 3:1 to make the call, and while he won't be loving his AK I would think at this point its reasonable pot odds to see the flop I guess and hope to hit it strong, and pray you're on the lower end of a 5bet range (IE the QQ you were on). Only downside is with AK you really want to see all 5 cards, but being this deep its not really something he wanted to shove either. Kind of toughish spot, as not going to get much extra value if ace hits and you are QQ-KK.

Not sure this happens without you both being 200bbs deep. Though have to ask why you checked the flop? Did you put him on KK or AA and trapping? Guess thats possible, but just would be surprised to see him turn up with AA or KK, maybe JJ-QQ, but not really higher with 2 flats. Just surprised you 5bet and then don't continue on the flop. Either you're beat or your not, but think at that pont I'd want to find out rather than give him a free card or a free shot to fold me out of it.

Thats my thoughts, but then thats me, and opinions are what we all have rightly or wrongly. hehe

• edited May 2012
    looking back AA/KK/AK - think you can b/f this spot given that oppo is unlikely to make a play w/AK as it's going to showdown

even though b/f £70- is still feels so yucky
  • edited May 2012
    problem with b/fing is if villain is slowplaying k/aa why on earth would he shove the dryest flop ever
  • edited May 2012

Tommy i know im nowhere near as expeianced or have the reads as many people in hear and i also said earlier im a fish in compariasson. But i think KAM makes a strong point does AA/KK make up enough of his range. As youve said ur ptetty pot stuck and youve basically turned your hand face up, so therefore why would AA/KK not want to get it in pre imo.

Flatting once to avoid turning their own cards face up maybe, but to flat twice i rekon is a little too much. Just my two pennies.

As youve said the old you gets this in, and thats maybe where my inexperiance lets me down. Obviously we have just one pair. But on the flop we have a strong betting lead, surley AA/KK is within your range as well. Once we check flop we can surley only have QQ/AK maybe KK once we check turn we then can only have QQ. I dont think we're 5 betting Tens and we're defo betting turn with KK/AK i think (i might be wrong). Therefore imo if we bet the flop we're incresing our range that we can hold. Obviously jacks do make up a percentage of their range but we're worrying about 3 hands when i think 5 or 6 hands are in our opponents range.

I think giving up the betting lead is a mistake.

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL200 - Not a scooby where I am:
    problem with b/fing is if villain is slowplaying k/aa why on earth would he shove the dryest flop ever
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    true, but if we decide we going to stack off if we check or bet then which option is best
    don't think we can get away from hand :S
    think there are pro & cons to either check or bet in this situation
    don't think either is bad or good :S

think I just prefer a bet as yeah it does fold out worse but as there is a less likely chance oppo makes a play with worse as it's going to showdown I feel the take down of pot is better than the possibility of getting outdrawn