You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL50 hand played from SB advice please

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

The button (Player 1) is a very good and well known aggressive reg, I don't have much history against him but had been pertty solid whilst at this table so my image would have been pretty much solid TAG.

Before the button acted, I was loving the spot, made the buttons range pretty wide as it was just an ideal squeeze opportunity.

My action post flop was a 'he knows that I know he's sqeezing' with an aim of representing potential weakness, and to be honest I don't really want to see an A on the turn.

My questions are 1). what do we think of the line taken?  2). can we extract more value by taking a different line on the flop?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Slykllist Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £57.45
Patito Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £52.45
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

bet3pm_co Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £42.60
taff152828 Call  £1.50 £3.75 £22.19
NAROW Call  £1.50 £5.25 £35.60
Player 1 Raise  £6.50 £11.75 £57.78
Slykllist Raise  £15.00 £26.75 £42.45
Patito Fold     
bet3pm_co Fold     
taff152828 Fold     
NAROW Fold     
Player 1 Call  £8.75 £35.50 £49.03
Flop

Slykllist All-in  £42.45 £77.95 £0.00
Player 1 Fold     
Slykllist Muck     
Slykllist Win  £33.72  £33.72
Slykllist Return  £42.45 £1.78 £76.17

Comments

• edited May 2012
    dnt like the all in shove i would bet small try and intise a raise so the opponent might your bluffing with this all in its polarised either a massive hand or not 90 per cant of time it loooks strong here i would of bet £15 like u did preflop and hope the opponent sees that as a steal = bluff and comes over the top with your all in i think u making 10 10 jj even qq fold here 
  • edited May 2012
    I briefly considered half potting it tbh but I'd be committing myself to the pot and the opo was plenty good enough to know this so the half pot was effectively saying we're playing for stacks, so I took the view that a shove might actually look weaker / scared.

Other option was a check and hope he bets out so I can re-shove, but I hate the idea of giving him a free card to hit an A on the turn. 

Having reflected a little on it for a while I actually wonder if my 4 bet was a little too small?  if I make it a little bigger, does it then become a natural shove on the turn?
  • edited May 2012
    make it really really tiny 2 induce i dnt mind a tenner :) bit sick if ace comes on turn tho lol
  • edited May 2012
    yeah well i see mastarcash alot  on 1/2 the norm raise is £6 then a 4-bet is usually £20 so once the bet of £6.50 came the raise should of been around £18-£22 ish 
  • edited May 2012
    what else do you shove on flop like this ?

just bet your standard size
  • edited May 2012
    4bet too big if anything,   £10 flop bet i really like
  • edited May 2012
    I guess a £10 bet might have got him to come along depending on his hand, but as you say if you then run into an ace on turn you hate yourself for the rest of the day. :)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: NL50 hand played from SB advice please:
    4bet too big if anything,   £10 flop bet i really like
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Thanks for taking a look, much appreciated.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't mind the 4bet size pre, maybe a little big but not by much. Think £13 - £13.50 achieves the same thing.

In a 4bet pot on this board, our c-bet doesn't need to be as big relative to the pot. The reason for this is that our range and our opponent's range is narrowed substantially, and mostly contains large pocket pairs. If it's overpair vs overpair, the money goes in the middle anyway, and if they've taken this line with AK/AQ, they'll fold to a fairly small flop c-bet.

For that reason, I think you can go quite small, like £12 or something on the flop (Maybe even smaller). In a 4bet pot, our opponent's range is going to be overpairs to this board, and maybe AK or AQ. Therefore, villain is either going to be all in with an overpair, or fold, irrespective of what we bet.

Might as well bet smaller to keep it cheaper for ourselves when we have AK/AQ and c-bet, or some random junk having made a move pre-flop in this spot.

The other benefit of going smaller is that, ofc, our opponent might do something spewy with Ace High.
  • edited May 2012
    4bet size is fine, shove sometimes, bet smallish sometimes, tank a bit & check flop sometimes, its all opponent, history & image dependant. mix it up & remember/note what u did when you get called & add to player notes who seen it & do it different next time. there is no correct answer tbh. obviously we do the same with our junk hands too as this is a great spot pre to be 4bettin pretty much ATC.
  • edited May 2012
    I think if your conciously repping a squeeze the bet is sweet.  But out of the SB they are less likely to buy it :p

Flop is tricky.  A check is obv dubious.  Might just bet 17 or so.  But tbh honest given action pre and that flop + pot to stack ratio its going to be hard to get paid here.
  • edited May 2012
    on this kind of board in 4bet pots bet small.  like 10-12 is fine.  even if he has Ax then you have him dead to 3 outs.  give him as much room as possbile to make a mistake
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah thats prob true, may agree with you for once :p

Would have been alot easir to get action post if 4bet was smaller.

But then again is set up nicely to get stacks in vs a portion of his range.
  • edited May 2012
    I know KK has the reputation of being an Ace magnet, but i think some of the comments here show a little too much fear of an ace falling. 

The chance of it hitting on the turn are pretty remote even assuming villain holds Ax, which is far from certain given that we know he is an aggressive player likely to be squeezing and then getting great odds to call our 4bet
  • edited May 2012

think pre flop is fine but would rather listen to lol_raise

flop bet anything from 12-15 quid imo never shoving in that spot imo