You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts, please?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
y check turn then bet river? kinda odd. u gotta fold now

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Oppo is a regular at nl30,40,40 and maybe nl100 so multi-tables.

I think I am always beat here, what do you think. 

Felt oppo would bet their flush on the turn  (if they had it) and would definitely bet a full house so I was stumped, it was the turn check that has me questioning the river reraise.

Your hole cardsJJ   AJ_RocketsFold    neverwin16Fold    MATT8Fold    xRaise £0.90£1.35£29.25KKripplerRaise £2.55£3.90£27.00hipshooterFold    xCall £1.80£5.70£27.45Flop  372   KKripplerBet £3.00£8.70£24.00xCall £3.00£11.70£24.45Turn  3   KKripplerCheck    xCheck    River  6   KKripplerBet £5.70£17.40£18.30xRaise £11.40£28.80£13.05
  • edited May 2012

Pretty much always beat I think here. Does he check flush, maybe, depends on how tricky he wants to be. Yes would expect a set or flush to bet, but hey don't know villian and he might not always. Certainly beat to fullhouses 56 and flush so have to think its a fold even though pot odds are reasonable. Just can't see him raising this board without the winning hand and certainly not with teh raise amount.

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Thoughts, please?:
    Oppo is a regular at nl30,40,40 and maybe nl100 so multi-tables. I think I am always beat here, what do you think.  Felt oppo would bet their flush on the turn  (if they had it) and would definitely bet a full house so I was stumped, it was the turn check that has me questioning the river reraise. Your hole cards J J       AJ_Rockets Fold         neverwin16 Fold         MATT8 Fold         x Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £29.25 KKrippler Raise   £2.55 £3.90 £27.00 hipshooter Fold         x Call   £1.80 £5.70 £27.45 Flop     3 7 2       KKrippler Bet   £3.00 £8.70 £24.00 x Call   £3.00 £11.70 £24.45 Turn     3       KKrippler Check         x Check         River     6       KKrippler Bet   £5.70 £17.40 £18.30 x Raise   £11.40 £28.80 £13.05
    Posted by KKrippler
    A bluff raise on the river didn't at first, make much sense to me. However he's a regular player and may know you are a regular player. So maybe he thinks you know that a bluff would make much sense on the river and give him credit for not bluffing.

You would think he would bluff the turn, when you check if he was bluffing. However he may have been just trying to get a lower pocket pair to showdown.The only explanation I can think of is that he is trying to get a lower pocket pair to showdown. Then realised that your bet on the river symbolised an overpair trying to get value from him, given his turn check(you would have expected him to bet any full house or flush on the turn). and tried to bluff you off your hand. As your hand now looks like an overpair , maybe a bluff. He would of expected you to bet any flush or full house on the turn. He probably knows you are capable of folding a good hand, when he raises you on the river.

He could be raising the river for value if he taught you would fold some good hands if he bet the turn, and therefore checked behind turn and looked for value on the river.

Looks lke a very small raise for a bluff. But that isn't always indicative of value searching.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts, please?:
    In Response to Thoughts, please? : A bluff raise on the river didn't at first, make much sense to me. However he's a regular player and may know you are a regular player. So maybe he thinks you know that a bluff would make much sense on the river and give him credit for not bluffing. You would think he would bluff the turn, when you check if he was bluffing. However he may have been just trying to get a lower pocket pair to showdown.The only explanation I can think of is that he is trying to get a lower pocket pair to showdown. Then realised that your bet on the river symbolised an overpair trying to get value from him, given his turn check(you would have expected him to bet any full house or flush on the turn). and tried to bluff you off your hand. As your hand now looks like an overpair , maybe a bluff. He would of expected you to bet any flush or full house on the turn. He probably knows you are capable of folding a good hand, when he raises you on the river. He could be raising the river for value if he taught you would fold some good hands if he bet the turn, and therefore checked behind turn and looked for value on the river. Looks lke a very small raise for a bluff. But that isn't always indicative of value searching.
    Posted by Fabraclass

Good post, thank you. After looking back at the hand, im still confused to his line.

Normally when im confused I call, this time i folded.

Think a bluff min raise from a reg is very difficult line. My thoughts now are that he has middle suited connectors ( that are diamonds) or possibly a misclick thats meant to be a call. Dont think the min raise makes much sense.

Would he really think his 8,8 or 9,9 has no value and min reraise with these hands. Perhaps.
  • edited May 2012
    66 would make sense
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Thoughts, please?:
    In Response to Re: Thoughts, please? :   Good post, thank you. After looking back at the hand, im still confused to his line. Normally when im confused I call, this time i folded. Think a bluff min raise from a reg is very difficult line. My thoughts now are that he has middle suited connectors ( that are diamonds) or possibly a misclick thats meant to be a call. Dont think the min raise makes much sense. Would he really think his 8,8 or 9,9 has no value and min reraise with these hands. Perhaps.
    Posted by KKrippler
    He would have to be fairly certain you have the hand you have or a higher pocket pair, and will fold. In this situation when it looks very likely you have an overpair, he could bluff, even though he would only be bluffing off a few better hands. Personally I usually would prefer to be bluffing off quite a few better hands, to warrant bluffing. But in this situation if could be justified in my opinion.(with the correct reads off course)

But overall I don't think people are likely to be bluffing in this situation very infrequently indeed. It's definitely possible to be too suspicious in poker.