You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Running Bad

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
This has been going on since well before christmas.
I dont think im that bad a player & i know what my faults are (most of them anyway).

Whats your longest run of bad Luck?
Do you suffer bad beats every time you play?

As far as the hand goes i know i give him a free look at the turn but in my reckoning he hit nothing and a bet will only produce a fold therfore reducing the amount of money i can take from the hand (silly me, i should have known better from .....)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.70
Jimbobadob Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.83
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Fold     
Fold     
xxxRaise  £0.10 £0.16 £4.60
Jimbobadob Raise  £0.32 £0.48 £3.51
xxxCall  £0.24 £0.72 £4.36
Flop

• K

xxx Check     
Jimbobadob Check     
Turn

• Q

xxxCheck     
Jimbobadob Bet  £0.36 £1.08 £3.15
xxx Raise  £1.08 £2.16 £3.28
Jimbobadob All-in  £3.15 £5.31 £0.00
xxxCall  £2.43 £7.74 £0.85
xxx Show
  • J

Jimbobadob Show
  • K
  • K

River

xxx Win Straight to the King £7.15  £8.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Pre is fine, and depending on opponent i'd pot it every subsequent street and shove to any resistance.

If the opponent is one of the better ones at this level then i might be more cautious but you can't ever fold.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't check the flop here. There are possible draws, so I'm doing what I'd do most times I've 3bet and thats Cbet the flop. Not doing so is usually more of a tell than anything that you hit it quite well, and of course giving free cards can bite you in the backside.

As for bad runs. Hell they can go on for ages. Just case with poker that variance can take a nasty bite out of you at any time and you go on a downswing. Just have to put up with them and enjoy the heaters when they come to balance it out.
  • edited May 2012
    Hi Jimbo

You sound fed up mate. Why not take a break for a week, nothing for 3 days then do a bit of reading of a favourite poker guide and get your mojo back. Another thing i suggest is that you go over your hands from the past two weeks and be completely honest with yourself. Make a frequency table and put down headings for correct play, incorrect play, +ve variance, -ve variance, neutral variance and rate ypour tourneys overall from a play point of view. You may surprise yourself by seeing that the poker gods are not alays to blame and that we make mistakes too. Learning from our mitakes is a big thing both poker and life-wise. Sound corny, i know but it can make us 'bunce' too!!! 
    I don't doubt that you're a solid player but this advice is only offered to help you analyse your play and get your enjoyment back for the game. If not then why play it. Cheers and all the best....
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Running Bad:
    This has been going on since well before christmas. I dont think im that bad a player & i know what my faults are (most of them anyway). Whats your longest run of bad Luck? Do you suffer bad beats every time you play? As far as the hand goes i know i give him a free look at the turn but in my reckoning he hit nothing and a bet will only produce a fold therfore reducing the amount of money i can take from the hand (silly me, i should have known better from .....) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance xxx Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.70 Jimbobadob Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.83   Your hole cards K K       x  Fold         x  Fold         xxx Raise   £0.10 £0.16 £4.60 Jimbobadob Raise   £0.32 £0.48 £3.51 xxx Call   £0.24 £0.72 £4.36 Flop     K 9 5       xxx  Check         Jimbobadob Check         Turn     Q       xxx Check         Jimbobadob Bet   £0.36 £1.08 £3.15 xxx  Raise   £1.08 £2.16 £3.28 Jimbobadob All-in   £3.15 £5.31 £0.00 xxx Call   £2.43 £7.74 £0.85 xxx  Show 10 J       Jimbobadob Show K K       River     7       xxx  Win Straight to the King £7.15   £8.00
    Posted by Jimbobadob
    If you have been putting in quite a few hours a week( say 10) and things haven't been going well for you since before Christmas, variance  could still be the primary cause. Very good players who win money at poker can lose money over a month playing 40 hours a week say, maybe even two months in a row.

Depending on the hours you are putting in a week. Variance could be the cause. If your results are way below what you have achieved consistently over a long period of time say 6 months at 10 hours a week.. Then this would indicate variance

You could be playing technically good poker but may still be losing money if.

1 You are not playing on tables where you have a big edge.

2 Don't have enough information on you opponents, to make better, more informed decision against them.

3  Are not managing your bankroll well.

Examining how well you are doing these three things can be extremely beneficial.

In terms of the hand i would definitely bet flop.If they dont have anyting they may fold. but they may raise aswell. If they dont have anything they may not bet on any other street. You charge flush draws by betting and build a pot with a massive hand.

GL
  • edited May 2012
    ok i be honest here DONT EVER SLOWPLAY  this might be y u on a bad run u hit the nuts and let opponent in with a free card i always advise people to bet on there good hands get the maximum i have learnt alot and trapping is never a good play because this can happen im always c-betting on my big hands and my bluffs and same bet size aswell so people cant tell if u bluffing or not 
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for your comments / advice.
    Normally i would have bet the flop but after his check i did sort of slow play it ( thinking i was already going to win the hand - very bad).
    When i think about it aswell, slow playing is never a good thing unless you have some solid reads on your opponents.
    Im not so sure taking a break would make any difference because imo unless i work out the problems in my game they will most certainly still be there when i come back.
    Checking back through my hand history is something that i think i need to do alot more of and making a spreadsheet sounds like a good thing to do (cheers profman15).
    I probably play min 12hours a week (as much as i would love to play alot more, family like has to come 1st) and usually i am ok with my bankroll but do find it a little bit fustrating dropping down the stakes playing for small cash. I have now set up a chart for myself where i try not to step up to the next level until i have 30 bi's 
    I am mostly a dym /mtt player, hence the bad cash play earlier.

Thanks again
    Paul
  • edited May 2012
    +1 to Fabraclass's post.

Advice I am going to heed myself.