You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

annoying river spot

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Is my line ok up to here? do i have to check or shove now?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
qazokm Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £10.30
jams88 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.75
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

BYDANDY50 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £9.23
YUPS Call   £0.30 £0.75 £22.09
Jas79 Fold        
yeahbudy90 Call   £0.30 £1.05 £3.41
qazokm Fold        
jams88 Raise   £1.10 £2.15 £8.65
BYDANDY50 Call   £0.90 £3.05 £8.33
YUPS Fold        
yeahbudy90 Fold        
Flop

• K
  • J

jams88 Bet   £2.00 £5.05 £6.65
BYDANDY50 Call   £2.00 £7.05 £6.33
Turn

jams88 Bet   £3.00 £10.05 £3.65
BYDANDY50 Call   £3.00 £13.05 £3.33
River

Comments

• edited May 2012
    bet flop more, shove turn, as played just put the rest of your money in on the river, theres a good shot that you still have the best hand, since you are never folding to a bet from him if you check you may still get value from a lot worse just by shoving.
  • edited May 2012

pre is fine,flop is fine
    I personally just shove turn you have less than a pot sized bet behind get it in makes poker so much easier lol

• edited May 2012
    As played yo can't fold the river as the pot odds are too high even though likely you are beat by a queen, or have been beat the whole way by AQ which is certainly in a UTG range, though odd play if he had that hand. As others said bet more on flop and shove turn with less than pot sized bet behind its pointless to bet less really here as if he calls a lesser bet he is pot commited anyway.
  • edited May 2012
    i make it £1.50 - £1.80 pre, since out of position and 2 callers.
    Flop fine
    Turn shove, say he is weak and calls with a draw (which he shouldn't) you lose value on the river by not shoving.

As played, you have to shove river. Unlikely he calls down hoping to hit a straight. Loads of 2 pairs still call.
  • edited May 2012
    your bet sizing has set up a perfect turn shove, so shove turn
  • edited May 2012
    you don't have enough behind to do anything other then shove.

bet flop slightly bigger to shove turn.
  • edited May 2012
    As played only option is to shove with £3.65 behind and a massive £13 in there. 

Turn though if you don't shove it's only so you always shove river.
  • edited May 2012
    I think this is a problem in my game i can easily fix i concentrate on getting the money in over 3 streets living me tricky river spots or missing value. Seems obvous once it is pointed out that i should be getting the money in quicker
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: annoying river spot:
    I think this is a problem in my game i can easily fix i concentrate on getting the money in over 3 streets living me tricky river spots or missing value. Seems obvous once it is pointed out that i should be getting the money in quicker
    Posted by jams88

Try and work out on the flop bet sizing for all streets that gets all the money into the pot, in the most sensible way.
    It's usually clear, by looking at the size of the effective stack , and the size of the pot going into the flop, how many streets it will take.
    It doesn't mean you have to get stacks in irrespective, but at least set up a line, so that you can if you want to.

It's often better to get stacks in over two streets, rather than three, because :
    a) the more streets, the more scare cards to dissuade you, or the opponent, from continuing.
    b) a draw will call flop & turn, but not river (unless it improves.

In this hand, I would bet more preflop - a squeeze with a raise, and a caller, when you are OOP to about 4x the original raise size is about right, with 1 extra caller add a bit more. £1.40 - £1.50 would do the job.
    Jam the turn obv.

• edited May 2012
    OOP with a raise and 2 calls, I'd 3bet slightly bigger, maybe £1.40ish

Flop - Again, might c-bet a bit bigger, maybe £2.40ish, could even go full pot if you want on this type of board.

Turn - Shove, you have less than a pot size bet behind.

River - We shouldn't be here in the first place, but meh. We've got £3, pot is £13 already. Just put the rest in, he'll have a Q sometimes but not every single time here, we can still get called by worse than second set.
  • edited May 2012
    3bet bigger pre

Bet flop bigger to set up easier turn shove

Jam river
  • edited May 2012
    what are your reads pre? 3b bigger pre

bet bigger flop/turn

as played shove river