You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

call/raise on the end?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancespearsy136Small blind £0.05£0.05£5.12ian77Big blind £0.10£0.15£7.07 Your hole cardsKJ   senjiiwolfFold    SwogRaise £0.30£0.45£11.74MEREMIEVFold    WhizzewkyFold    spearsy136Fold    ian77Call £0.20£0.65£6.87Flop  J56   ian77Check    SwogBet £0.40£1.05£11.34ian77Call £0.40£1.45£6.47Turn  9   ian77Check    SwogBet £0.85£2.30£10.49ian77Call £0.85£3.15£5.62River  J   ian77Bet £0.50£3.65£5.12Swog

Comments

• edited May 2012
    just a call on the end for me not many hands calling you if you raise.

also if you raise and he re raises you its unlikely he bluffing you and puts you in a tough spot and you prob have to fold imo.
  • edited May 2012
    Its a pretty weird bet on the river. As played just call as I suspect he has a flush and is now worried about paired board, or just has terrible bet sizing issues. And as said above if you raise you aren't geting called by much worse than you have and will be raised by better.

Anyway call with no reads on what this bet size from villian means, and make note of it for future. To wierd and could be blocker bet with weak or hyper strong looking for you to reraise or so desperate for call they make rubbish bet sizing. Raise risky against this type of bet readless. Shove no chance.
  • edited May 2012
    Clear stack sizes would be great, think he has ~£5, you ~£10.

If you do raise due to his stack you'll have to call and 3bet shove. 

On the fop 78 got there as well as flush draws, it's also quite tough for him to have another Jack with 3 already out although that's your best hope for value - JT, QJ, J8 but that's quite thin tbh, I also don't think a mid pair hand like 77, 88, TT would call a river raise. 

One reason for raising though is his bet does look VERY blocky and is like please just call so therefore maybe do the opposite.
  • edited May 2012
    Think it's a raise.

You are ahead of QJ, JT, TT, 88 which all may call a raise, plus he may even level himself with worse 1 pairs (he can get this far with 76, 86, 97, 65 etc...).
    You are behind to 78 and AJ - it's not impossible he has 55, 66, 99 or a flush, just very unlikely.

More hands / combos you are beating, that will call, than are beating you, therefore raise.
  • edited May 2012
    i would call this the reason being what if u raise then get shoved on then what put yaself in a tricky spot and if u raise what hands are calling u jack lower kicker any higher pair above jacks is it worth it i would just call 
  • edited May 2012
    Any idea why my stack sizes never show when i copy and paste hand onto the forum?

I will post the outcome later. I raised btw.
  • edited May 2012
    I would call on the basis that only really geting a raise called by better or maybe qj jt or A9 but not much else. But the QJ JT hands he is probably just shoving a raise anyway with his stack size. I would say A9 with the ace of clubs is most likely but a flush is just as possible how it has played out and he is looking for a raise hence why i would call
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to call/raise on the end?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance spearsy136 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £5.12 ian77 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £7.07   Your hole cards K J       senjiiwolf Fold         Swog Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £11.74 MEREMIEV Fold         Whizzewky Fold         spearsy136 Fold         ian77 Call   £0.20 £0.65 £6.87 Flop     J 5 6       ian77 Check         Swog Bet   £0.40 £1.05 £11.34 ian77 Call   £0.40 £1.45 £6.47 Turn     9       ian77 Check         Swog Bet   £0.85 £2.30 £10.49 ian77 Call   £0.85 £3.15 £5.62 River     J       ian77 Bet   £0.50 £3.65 £5.12 Swog
    Posted by Swog
    Marginal in my opinion. Don't think raise gets called by much worse. However I think you are ahead quite often as.

1 Looks like a blocker bet with marginal hand.

2 Think full house is unlikely given action prior to river.

3 Flush is fairly unlikely in my opinion for same reason as above and given their river line. I would expect check call or check raise on river with flush.

I'd prob raise very small(to sqeeze value) and fold to re raise.If they re raise your raise on the river I think you can very comfortably fold.

• edited May 2012
    I've got too many notes on too many different people called Ian684919689635392 to remember exactly what I'd do here. Come up with some original aliases please people ;)

It's a blocker bet. If you shove, is he just going to fold worse and only call if his blocker bet is a trap and he's got the nut flush or a house? For this reason, I don't like shoving, although with me being an spewy aggro fish, it's probably what I'd do ingame with only 15 seconds to act. The blocker bet suggests lack of confidence in the strength of his hand, or is trying to represent weakness which is infact extreme strength. I wouldn't mind a shove so much if we have nothing, or if we're turning a pair of 5s or 6s into a bluff to get a better hand to fold, but with trips, I think villain folds worse and calls us only when we're beat if we shove.

I'd probably flat call when he takes this line the first couple of times, see what he's doing it with, make notes, then when I've worked out whether he's usually weak or strong when making a blocker bet, I can act accordingly in the future. Until I have notes that the villain is always weak when he takes this line, and will pay us off if we raise for value, then calling is the best option IMO.

I think there's also an argument for making an information raise, whilst raising for value at the same time - A blocker bet at this level is going to be super weak, or super strong. If we click it back, or make a smallish raise, he'll probably flat call us with some showdown value with the weak hands, and if he puts in that weak bet then jams on us, he's probably super strong and we can fold trips, and be fairly sure that we were actually behind. The only drawback with this is if he's the sort of player that blocker bets then shoves with worse Jx hands, thinking he's getting value and/or has trapped us, and we end up folding the best hand. 

Bleh. Interesting hand. It's so dependant on reads on the villain, but I think without them, it's just a flat call.
  • edited May 2012
    I check back turn readless

Call river

• edited May 2012
    I really dont understand his bet on the river,is he inducing the shove from you Swog? I would call here see what he has got and then make notes on this play.