You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4NL - Awkward spot.

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Notes on villain simply say "Calling Station", so obviously a 100bb shove was unusual. What to do with AQ here?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
V1Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.89
Stefanos64Big blind £0.04£0.06£4.23
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

atlasdriveCall £0.04£0.10£1.43
EvilPinguRaise £0.24£0.34£3.52
bigron147Fold    
V1All-in £3.89£4.23£0.00
Stefanos64Fold    
atlasdriveFold    
EvilPingu??? (I folded)

Comments

• edited May 2012
    In Response to 4NL - Awkward spot.:
    Notes on villain simply say "Calling Station", so obviously a 100bb shove was unusual. What to do with AQ here? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance V1 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.89 Stefanos64 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.23   Your hole cards Q A       atlasdrive Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.43 EvilPingu Raise   £0.24 £0.34 £3.52 bigron147 Fold         V1 All-in   £3.89 £4.23 £0.00 Stefanos64 Fold         atlasdrive Fold         EvilPingu ??? (I folded)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    If the player is a calling station i reckon he isnt getting a 100 bbs in light. I almost never like getting AQ in for 100 bb pre flop unless they are 3 and 4 betting with unusually high frequency's. Especially if i haven't committed much of my stack.

I reckon he has something pretty strong. I don't like totally taking AA and KK  out of his range given the way he played the hand. Although they are less likely. People can play strangely. QQs or AK are most likely in my opinion. Definitely made the right fold mate.

GL.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to 4NL - Awkward spot.:
    Notes on villain simply say "Calling Station", so obviously a 100bb shove was unusual. What to do with AQ here? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance V1 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.89 Stefanos64 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.23   Your hole cards Q A       atlasdrive Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.43 EvilPingu Raise   £0.24 £0.34 £3.52 bigron147 Fold         V1 All-in   £3.89 £4.23 £0.00 Stefanos64 Fold         atlasdrive Fold         EvilPingu ??? (I folded)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    This looks like AK almost all of the time. I would be tempted to call though.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 4NL - Awkward spot.:
    In Response to 4NL - Awkward spot. : This looks like AK almost all of the time. I would be tempted to call though.
    Posted by Curt360x27

Why would you call if he is almost certainly dominating you?

• edited May 2012
    fold,
    nxt hand
    :-)
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to 4NL - Awkward spot. : This looks like AK almost all of the time. I would be tempted to call though.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    You put his range at AK nearly all the time and are still tempted to call with a dominated ace with 30% equity? That sounds awesome. hehe

Personally I say fold unless seen evidence of light shoves from him. 4nl to weird often and I've seen shoves vary from any PP to rag aces to JJ+ etc. More often than not its AK or KK-AA hoping someone that raised will call them though, as quite often people do call shoves really light at 4nl.
  • edited May 2012
    QQ+ range imo from this kind of villian.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 4NL - Awkward spot. : You put his range at AK nearly all the time and are still tempted to call with a dominated ace with 30% equity? That sounds awesome. hehe Personally I say fold unless seen evidence of light shoves from him. 4nl to weird often and I've seen shoves vary from any PP to rag aces to JJ+ etc. More often than not its AK or KK-AA hoping someone that raised will call them though, as quite often people do call shoves really light at 4nl.
    Posted by KAM99
    My second sentence was not in relation to my first. Obv I'm not going to call if a huge part of his range has me crushed you bell end. What I meant was in game I would be tempted cause Ive got AQ at 4NL innit.
  • edited May 2012

id be tempted to call mmore often here than fold.

stations open shoving tends to be weak aces n small pairs way more than ak qq+

• edited May 2012
    id be tempted to call mmore often here than fold. stations open shoving tends to be weak aces n small pairs way more than ak qq+
    Posted by TINTIN
    really tmate. I know ur far more experianced than me at this level, but in my recent experiance theyve alll been QQ+ in this kinda spot. Small sample obv but playing alot more of late so rekon im seeing enough of it to believe it.

Hmmm.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 4NL - Awkward spot. : really tmate. I know ur far more experianced than me at this level, but in my recent experiance theyve alll been QQ+ in this kinda spot. Small sample obv but playing alot more of late so rekon im seeing enough of it to believe it. Hmmm.
    Posted by The_Don90
    there are a few ive played who only do this with premium and i have run into them from time to time holding monsters,

theres also many who are more than crazy to open shove 75bb+ with rubbish.

same old rule the more you play them the better idea you have of what they will do it with.

theres players out there i know that will open shove with any pair or any ace.

i did say id be tempted to call more than fold in this situation but not always, it does depend on what idea i have that they are playing
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 4NL - Awkward spot. : My second sentence was not in relation to my first. Obv I'm not going to call if a huge part of his range has me crushed you bell end. What I meant was in game I would be tempted cause Ive got AQ at 4NL innit.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I can only answer what you wrote. So why don't you either write what you mean, or save the insults because nothing I said made me a bell end, but hey if thats your level cool.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 4NL - Awkward spot. : there are a few ive played who only do this with premium and i have run into them from time to time holding monsters, theres also many who are more than crazy to open shove 75bb+ with rubbish. same old rule the more you play them the better idea you have of what they will do it with. theres players out there i know that will open shove with any pair or any ace. i did say id be tempted to call more than fold in this situation but not always, it does depend on what idea i have that they are playing
    Posted by TINTIN
    your probably right and im probably just hitting the top of their range atm.

Also to note is this is a 3bet shove. I might be wrong but dont we increase our chances after 24p is invested like this
  • edited May 2012
    Not sure calling would be awful as would be kind of strange for it to be AA/KK/QQ, not impossible but unlikely IMO, AK is one that fits it more but again if he can do it with that he could do it with worse.

Overall though I would fold purely due to it being a full shove rather than a <50 one, which looks much more gambly to me. 

Also if his normally a station any sort of aggresive raising is quite unusual and could fit into the player panicking with a monster and just hitting the all in for max value button. 
  • edited May 2012
    this is a pretty easy fold
  • edited May 2012
    Not sure calling would be awful as would be kind of strange for it to be AA/KK/QQ, not impossible but unlikely IMO, AK is one that fits it more but again if he can do it with that he could do it with worse. Overall though I would fold purely due to it being a full shove rather than a <50 one, which looks much more gambly to me.  Also if his normally a station any sort of aggresive raising is quite unusual and could fit into the player panicking with a monster and just hitting the all in for max value button. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Also if his normally a station any sort of aggresive raising is quite unusual and could fit into the player panicking with a monster and just hitting the all in for max value button. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8

+1