You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Reviewing last nights hands and this one interesting me

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok this hand was on of the ones ive flagged from last nights session. Im still going through hands so may post more but this one the focus here.

This was very early in last nights session. I hadnt really built up notes as of yet on the villian so i wont share what i discovered later. Turn and river talking points here so ill put turn up first.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
villianSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.32
DarloJohny Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.57
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

The_Don90 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £3.90
chipteaser Fold     
villianCall  £0.14 £0.36 £5.18
DarloJohny Fold     
Flop

• A

villianBet  £0.18 £0.54 £5.00
The_Don90 Raise  £0.54 £1.08 £3.36
villianCall  £0.36 £1.44 £4.64
Turn

villianBet  £0.72 £2.16 £3.92
The_Don90 ?????

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I guess he could have an 8 but more likely will be some random Ace that you beat and with stack to pot ratio I'd just shove here. Also could be flush draw again trying to name his price with donk lead hoping you just flat. 

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Reviewing last nights hands and this one interesting me:
    I guess he could have an 8 but more likely will be some random Ace that you beat and with stack to pot ratio I'd just shove here. Also could be flush draw again trying to name his price with donk lead hoping you just flat. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    a yes, when you mention ranges i probably think about this too much at NL4 but its good to harness those skills for when i fianlly beat the level and move to the world of nits. I was thinking donk lead on flop could be a FD/8 or weak ace. Obviously one of those got there here but yeah i think your right tbh.
  • edited May 2012
    Call. Call/shove any river. :D
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Reviewing last nights hands and this one interesting me:
    Ok this hand was on of the ones ive flagged from last nights session. Im still going through hands so may post more but this one the focus here. This was very early in last nights session. I hadnt really built up notes as of yet on the villian so i wont share what i discovered later. Turn and river talking points here so ill put turn up first. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance villian Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £5.32 DarloJohny Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.57   Your hole cards A K       The_Don90 Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £3.90 chipteaser Fold         villian Call   £0.14 £0.36 £5.18 DarloJohny Fold         Flop     6 A 8       villian Bet   £0.18 £0.54 £5.00 The_Don90 Raise   £0.54 £1.08 £3.36 villian Call   £0.36 £1.44 £4.64 Turn     8       villian Bet   £0.72 £2.16 £3.92 The_Don90 ?????
    Posted by The_Don90
    Definitely call on the turn. For a number of reasons

1 Keep in weaker hands.

2 We only have top pair top kicker. Not good enough to be getting our whole stack in, in this situation.

3 Keep full draws and very strange random bluffs in.

I am very happily folding to any bet on the river if any flush card comes. The way they have played the hand, their hand is most likely an 8 or a flush draw(maybe a strangely played ace). If the flush draw comes in cannot see them value betting anything that you beat.

If a flush doesn't come on the end. The decision whether to call a bet or not will come down to reads on the opponent, and the price you are being offered. You are not really beating any value bets on the end, maybe AQ, thats about it, in my opinion. So it will come down to the price you are being offered to call, and how often they would bluff in this situation with a missed flush draw.

From my experience most players will not commit their entire stack of around 100 bbs or more with a flush draw in a single raised pot. Some players will have one go on the flop by check raising or leading and give up on turn. Some will have another go on the turn. Not that many will fire river again (after been the pre flop caller in the hand, with a busted flush draw) , however some will. So it comes down to your read on the opponent.

In relation to this hand aswell. I think raise on the flop is fine. If they do not lead turn. I would check behind turn for the following reasons.

1 Pot control

2 Keep weaker hands in.

3 Our hand strength.

4 To catch bluffs on river, and extract value from weaker hands on river.

I think the best play then would be to call a river bet from them. And value bet if checked to, except maybe if a flush comes on river.
  • edited May 2012
    I think raise on the flop is fine. If they do not lead turn. I would check behind turn for the following reasons. 1 Pot control 2 Keep weaker hands in. 3 Our hand strength. 4 To catch bluffs on river, and extract value from weaker hands on river.
    Posted by Fabraclass
    disagree with this
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Reviewing last nights hands and this one interesting me : disagree with this
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Are you gonna tell us why? It's not much use to people. to say u disagree and then give no explanation. Their's not much benefit to anybody
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think this is an eight. If he had an eight then surely he would check the turn to you since leading out folds out most of your broadway hands and ace-rag hands that he wants you to keep betting with. A better play for him if he had an eight would be to check/raise the turn or check call and jam the river = more value.

So if he doesn't have an eight then he either has an ace, a flush draw, or a random bluff. If he has the flush draw then he would likely have got it all in on the flop but some people do play flush draws passive, especially at NL4. My guess he will fold to a a raise and check/shove the river depending on whether he got there. If he has an ace then from the way he has played so far he might fold to a raise since the 1/2 pot bet looks like a blocker bet. If he has a random bluff he will certainly fold now to further aggression on the turn.

So the best plan would be to call the bet and shove over a river bet or bet pot for value if he checks on the river regardless of what card come on the river.