You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question on Raising

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi fellows.

I have a question for you regarding raising. Assuming that you want to get called and get some money into the pot, which is better to do min raise/bet 1/2 pot or raise something like 3 times the opponents's raise/bet 3/4 pot/pot.

I have seen that people are more likely to call a min-raise or a 1/2 pot bet instead of large bets.

Any thoughts on that?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    depends on chipstacks and pot size
  • edited May 2012
    Assume that we both play 100bb deep...
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Question on Raising:
    Hi fellows. I have a question for you regarding raising. Assuming that you want to get called and get some money into the pot, which is better to do min raise/bet 1/2 pot or raise something like 3 times the opponents's raise/bet 3/4 pot/pot. I have seen that people are more likely to call a min-raise or a 1/2 pot bet instead of large bets. Any thoughts on that?
    Posted by GreekWay
    Deep stacked 100bbs 3xbb generally accepted as the best raise size pre flop.

Short stacked 2-2.5xbb generally accepted as best raise size pre flop.

3 bet sizing pre flop deep stacked, raise's to 3 times original raise in position, generally agreed best sizing.

3 bet sizing out of position deep stacked, generally 3.5 times original raise.

Post flop bets of 1/2 to 3/4 pot are standard.
  • edited May 2012
    Ok, assuming 100bb then you should be aiming to get their whole stack if you have a big hand, and so your bet sizing should be appropriate to their stack size so that by the time you get to turn, or at river you can get it all in, or enough that they are calling for the rest of their stack.

This is ALWAYS how you should play. You should not think about min raise or whatever, as this just means you make small pots. If they have nothing they won't call, and if they have a hand they call, and in the long run you make more playing to take the lot, so work out what you need to raise based on the stack sizes  so that you have a chance to get it all by the river when you have a big hand.

Yes, sucks if they fold, but its worseif you get to a river at showdown having taken half their stack to realise they had a hand you could have likely got it all.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Question on Raising:
    In Response to Question on Raising : Deep stacked 100bbs 3xbb generally accepted as the best raise size pre flop. Short stacked 2-2.5xbb generally accepted as best raise size pre flop. 3 bet sizing pre flop deep stacked, raise's to 3 times original raise in position, generally agreed best sizing. 3 bet sizing out of position deep stacked, generally 3.5 times original raise. Post flop bets of 1/2 to 3/4 pot are standard.
    Posted by Fabraclass
    I know about pre flop stuff. I was just wondering what people think about post flop bets because I have noticed that players call more easily a smallish bet or raise than a big one...
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Question on Raising:
    In Response to Re: Question on Raising : I know about pre flop stuff. I was just wondering what people think about post flop bets because I have noticed that players call more easily a smallish bet or raise than a big one...
    Posted by GreekWay
    Their no need to make it too big. Because when you are bluffing you want to bluff fairly cheaply. It is important to keep your raise sizing the same whether you are bluffing or value betting.

I'd say raise 1.5 - 2 times their bet. A min raise is probably a little bit too small, as you want to charge draws when you have a hand, and you won't get that many hands to fold when your bluffing.