You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AJ HU v Uber passive nit

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
HU Shuffle sat, 20 entries, 10 left, 1st gets entry into the £2k GTD Shuffle, 2nd gets nowt. I have some history with the villain but not much and only HU.

Villain limps the button a lot, occasionally raised but very rarely, generally limped button and was often limp/folding although started limp/calling more as I kept raising a wide range to take advantage of passiveness, not sure if villain was actually adapting or whether they were just bored of limp/folding. Villain was playing fit/fold on the flop.

Would definitely describe this villain as tight passive, generally raises big hands from button (I happily folded a rag ace OOP to a standard button raise against this villain earlier). 

2nd time in this tournament playing this player, was running them over with aggression first time but stacks stayed quite level, only for them to get moved off my table and get a couple of double ups, so this villain was moved back to my table with a 2:1 chip lead (sigh).

Anyway, villain limp/3bets the button really big. Right to get stacks in with AJ? 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
VillainSmall blind 75.0075.0010230.00
EvilPinguBig blind 150.00225.005850.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

VillainCall 75.00300.0010155.00
EvilPinguRaise 300.00600.005550.00
VillainRaise 1650.002250.008505.00
EvilPinguAll-in 5550.007800.000.00
VillainCall 4200.0012000.004305.00
VillainShow

EvilPinguShow
  • J
  • A

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Aj is a very big hand, heads-up. I'd be pretty happy to get it all-in here. I'd guess your read that he was a nit wasn't quite right given his play here with 33.

AJ heads-up is too strong to be folding with 40BB. When you raise, you should really want him to 3-bet so you can make the shove. The amount of his raise is a little too big to leave him room to fold but you should be confident enough in your hand to want to get it all-in with.

You'll see plenty of underpairs, weaker Aces and even KQ, KJ type hands here, especially if you've been as aggresive as you say. I would have done the same.
  • edited May 2012
    tough spot for me sounds oooober nitty i would lean to a fold could have u dominated more then likely to be a flip 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: AJ HU v Uber passive nit:
    tough spot for me sounds oooober nitty i would lean to a fold could have u dominated more then likely to be a flip 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I agree with this.

If he's T/P and you feel you have a decent edge then I'd fold pretty easily.  There will be many more places where you can pick up his chips.  Exploit his weak post flop play rather than committing lots of chips preflop where most T/P players are usually pretty solid.
  • edited May 2012
    Fold, you are a dog v his range, and you should be able to own him
  • edited May 2012
    if you can fold A3 to a btn raise pre flop then I think you can fold this
  • edited May 2012
    Honestly with his raise I'd have put him on roughly what he had. Maybe not as low as that, but I'd have put good money on a low to medium pp that he wanted to take it down preflop if possible but would go with it if he had to all in. AJ is pretty strong HU and be hard to lay this down, but that said if you do have an advantage over someone that would be one time its something to consider rather than taking on a flip. So with whats at stake I might fold where I had a good edge over someone.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd get it in with the WTA structure. 
  • edited May 2012
    Put the hand into this form;

My hand: AJo
    Action: Limp, I raise, I get reraised by *uber passive nit*
    My stack: 40bb

Pretty sure you can not stack off here, irregardless of the fact he seems to have had a mental short circuit with 33. I'd expect him to have AK, JJ+ a huge percentage of the time and I'm clearly not going to jam 40bb vs that range