You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Time to re-think AK in amber zone?

MTT, have 12 big blinds UTG. 20 of 30, all in the money. Holding AKo.

Tourney 1 - I shove with big slick. Get called by big stack with 77, miss and get busted out.
Tourney 2 - I call with big slick (but am willing to shove to a re-raise). Miss the flop and check/fold to big stack who shows 77. I continue fighting with 11 big blinds.

For a long time I've been playing AK as in Tourney 1 but am starting to think that the Tourney 2 play is possibly the better play. Any thoughts please?

{Assuming that in the red zone (6BB or less) it's a shove and in the green zone (20BB or more) a standard raise}

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I think your tourney 1 play was probably right under the old structure of tournies on Sky

That is why I never bothered playing them.

With the more slower structure, I think you can get away with playing your second choice a bit more.

The only thing I would say is that I think a lot of people have become pre conditioned to going all in with between 10 -15 BB due to the structure of the previous Sky tournies , that I think a lot of people still make this move, so not sure how many opportunities you would get to make this play, but I am a great believer that I have at least one standard play in me with 10BB's

As i said in another thread I was disapointed with an opponents heads up play where their only move other than folding was to push all in despite having 40 BB's at that stage, which I put down to them being pre conditioned from previous Sky tournies where when they had been heads up previously that was the only move they could make

Going totally off topic am I right in thinking that you were the home player from the Chester region that was one of the guest home players the other week, and if so do you post of the Devachat forum, as your style of posting together with your fletcher icon reminds me of someone ?
  • edited November 2009
    Hi mr bigbluster fletch.....please see my thread in area51......all about AK. headed - AK...how god/bad are these two i think.
  • edited November 2009
    thats a nice results based mentality you have there 
  • edited November 2009
    i'd raise 2-3 times BB there, not commiting yourself.

Late stages a big pot someone will usually bet out with nothing, thats what you want with AK if you hit
  • edited November 2009
    Shoving with AK (objectively thinking):

Possible out comes are-

Called by a lower PP and its a race, ~ 50% equity
    Called by a worse Ace, ~70% equity
    Called by 2 live cards, ~65% equity
    Called by AA/KK and you're in bad shape, but this is rare.
    Uncalled - if this happens even just half or 1/3rd of the time here, then you've just picked up the blinds with Ace High, happy days.

Sure you will lose half the time when you're called by a PP but in the long run its definately profitable to shove with AK. I'm also fistpumping when i get AK UTG.

Limping with AK-
    Someones comes over the top of you anyway and you are never folding AK here, so shoving may have made them fold some of the time, increasing your overall equity in the hand.
    Someone limps in or checks in the blinds, and sucks out on you even though you've hit your ace, when you would have won the hand if you had just shoved.
  • edited November 2009
    With regard to Hogg's post, yes sometimes with AK u can raise 2.5bb here, but personally I'm shoving and most the time you'll be called with worse hands or a coinflip depending on stack sizes (Ax, KQ, KJ)
  • edited November 2009
    shove shove shove shove shove oh god shove
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Time to re-think AK in amber zone?:
    shove shove shove shove shove oh god shove
    Posted by cassie1
    R u still on about AK in that post or had you 'other things' on your mind cassie?
  • edited November 2009
    so  over rated is   ak    same  problem   loads  of  times   going out  against  pocket pairs  with  ak 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Time to re-think AK in amber zone? : R u still on about AK in that post or had you 'other things' on your mind cassie?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    lolwut.jpeg
  • edited November 2009
    Going totally off topic am I right in thinking that you were the home player from the Chester region that was one of the guest home players the other week, and if so do you post of the Devachat forum, as your style of posting together with your fletcher icon reminds me of someone ?
    Posted by Aski
    Yes, that's me. I'm Mike.
  • edited November 2009

In Response to Re: Time to re-think AK in amber zone? : Yes, that's me. I'm Mike.
    Posted by BigBluster

aha thought it was, we've had some in depth discussions on DC

you will know me from off there as nobodys-inn then :)
  • edited November 2009
    thats a nice results based mentality you have there 
    Posted by scotty77
    You've posted this comment on quite a few threads now. I'm sure you're determined to get into the posters freeroll next week!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Time to re-think AK in amber zone? : You've posted this comment on quite a few threads now. I'm sure you're determined to get into the posters freeroll next week!
    Posted by BigBluster
    yep i cant wait for that £70 1st place win weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • edited November 2009
    im not the greatest player in the world but surly its only the 14th best hand pre flop!!!
  • edited November 2009
    im not the greatest player in the world but surly its only the 14th best hand pre flop!!!
    Posted by pod1
    How can you quanify what is the best hand (other than big PP's ldo)?

Because 22 wins more against AK that means it's better?

Well 22 />AK, and JTs>22, and AK>JTs so which of these is the best hand?

• edited November 2009
    i did put post flop lf!!!!
  • edited November 2009
    ps the BETTER HAND  is the hand you go in ahead and if that means 52% 48% then so be it
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by pod1
    i did put post flop lf!!!!
    Posted by pod1

wrong.
  • edited November 2009
    ps the BETTER HAND  is the hand you go in ahead and if that means 52% 48% then so be it
    Posted by pod1
    yes, but you said its the 14th best hand PRE flop

what are the 13 hands that are better than it?
  • edited November 2009
    the 13 hands you are ahead
  • edited November 2009
    2s (1) 3s(2) 4s(3) 5s(4) 6s(5) 7s(6)8s(7)9s(8)10s(9)js(10)qs(11)ks(12)as(13). if you are ahead then surley its BETTER compared to being worse
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Time to re-think AK in amber zone?:
    Tourney 1 - I shove with big slick. Get called by big stack with 77, miss and get busted out.
    Tourney 2 - I call with big slick (but am willing to shove to a re-raise). Posted by BigBluster
    I like the 2nd option

1) A smooth call UTG oozes strength. the fact you will re-raise any raise will put a hard decision on the raiser. In the example, if 77 put 3-4BB in, might be hard to call when you shove for 11 total. They have to think they are dominated or racing at best. Plus if you do get busted out, you can console yourself that the call to your 3-bet was very loose.

2) If the flop comes good, its probably to your advantage to be acting first. Depending on any info on the opponent, you can either c-bet or c/r, whichever you deem more profitable.

3) Laddering - not a dirty word, but you still have 11BB if the flop is bad. Once you're through the blinds, you're on the button with 9.5BB, not a terrible position!

Of course, some tournaments you feel on the back foot, so the push is equally valid.
  • edited November 2009
    2s (1) 3s(2) 4s(3) 5s(4) 6s(5) 7s(6)8s(7)9s(8)10s(9)js(10)qs(11)ks(12)as(13). if you are ahead then surley its BETTER compared to being worse
    Posted by pod1
    Ok then so if 2's are the 13th best hand, then where is JTs, because it is "better" (ie wins more than 50% vs) than 22, but is worse than (ie loses more than 50% vs) AK.

So its really impossible to say that AK is the 14th best hand preflop, just ebcause there are 13 hands that are better than it.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by pod1
    22 vs any random hand heads up is 50.33% vs 49.67%
    So effectively racing (22 is better 6 times in 1000)

22 vs any 2 non-paired overcards = racing
    22 vs any over pair = crushed.
    22 vs underpair = N/A
    22 vs any 2 non-paired undercards = N/A

So really 22 heads up is either racing or crushed - nice options!
    http://www.galabingo.co.uk/bingogames.go