You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When to show bluffs?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I wanted to know if it's a good idea to show bluffs? If so when?

I showed this bluff in the early stages of the £500gtd BH tonight, was this a good idea?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
smalls370 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1935.00
BA677 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1830.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

BigBlindT Fold     
Costas Raise  75.00 105.00 1885.00
nunley10 Fold     
jackwolf Call  75.00 180.00 2180.00
smalls370 Fold     
BA677 Fold     
Flop

Costas Bet  95.00 275.00 1790.00
jackwolf Call  95.00 370.00 2085.00
Turn

• Q

Costas Bet  185.00 555.00 1605.00
jackwolf Call  185.00 740.00 1900.00
River

• Q

Costas Bet  425.00 1165.00 1180.00
jackwolf Fold     
Costas Show
  • A

Costas Win  740.00  1920.00
Costas Return  425.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Its best to not show at all. All you do is make it more difficult to get another bluff through against people that saw it when they know you like to bluff and are happy to do it on 3 strrets too. Sure can help when you go the goods, but not helpful in the long run as you'll find getting anything through when you want too will get difficult.

So for me never show and let them stew over a hand they laid down as that can get in their heads just as much if not more than giving them free information on how you play.
  • edited June 2012
    Believe me, your not bluffing here.

Often when we bluff we are bluffing with best hand.

For me shopping a bluff is purely oppo dependant.  No point showing a bluff to a guy that doesnt get steamed as your just giving info to people who will use it.  But against a specific villain who will get steamed can be ok.

• edited June 2012
    I don't think showing bluffs online is a good thing

I don't play live, it's something I look forward to trying, and maybe in that arena it's more suitable
  • edited June 2012
    live i stopped showing cards now online im trying to not show unless it gets to showdown
  • edited June 2012
    Try not to show your cards unless you have too. Good players will just use this information for future hands and it will eventually come back and bite you in the **** lol.
  • edited June 2012
    The only time I might show is on poker stars and there I will sometimes show one card, and occasionally two when I'm making a laydown just to rub it in that I knew they were ahead and I was laying a big hand down. But overall I don't like showing as said above because it can work just as much against you as for you.
  • edited June 2012
    only show bluffs when you stop bluffing

or show nuts when you start bluffing

anything else is pointless

depends what image you want, this works live - showing cards online is pointless
  • edited June 2012
    Don't show in general you give away info without gaining much. Maybe against known tilt monkey

Kam, not sure why you want to show big laydowns
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: When to show bluffs?:
    Don't show in general you give away info without gaining much. Maybe against known tilt monkey Kam, not sure why you want to show big laydowns
    Posted by grantorino
    Not something I do very often, as 99% of the time I don't show anything at all. That said I do sometimes show one card if I show anything, and that can be a good level if I do it. If I do I tend to pick occasions when the one card will give them more questions than not showing at all. :D
  • edited June 2012
    The only time I show cards I don't have to is to show I wasn't bluffing in an obvious bluffing spot. For example I'm in the small blind with 10 BBs, the big blind has 9BBs and it's folded around to me. I'm shoving 100% of hands in this spot so if I have a monster hand like premium pair or AK I will show. The reason is I will probably make the same move next orbit and everytime the situation comes up. I think if my opponent remembers that I've shown kings in this spot he might give me more credit and fold
  • edited June 2012
    Dont show anything at showdown if we can. Keep em guessing!

Occassionally i show a strong hand if i have been very active just to show them i do have it sometimes but generally i dont show anything.