You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DID I PLAY THIS WRONG OR GET UNLUCKY DONT PLAY CASH LOADS SO MAYBE I DID SOMETHING WRONG

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jjdes1111 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £67.63
geegee Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £28.19
  Your hole cards
  • A

TinMan123 Call  £0.50 £1.25 £16.34
Roxanne1 Fold     
Gaspode Fold     
mabsue Call  £0.50 £1.75 £35.29
jjdes1111 Call  £0.25 £2.00 £67.38
geegee Check     
Flop

• Q
  • A

jjdes1111 Check     
geegee Check     
TinMan123 Check     
mabsue Bet  £2.00 £4.00 £33.29
jjdes1111 Fold     
geegee Fold     
TinMan123 Call  £2.00 £6.00 £14.34
Turn

TinMan123 Check     
mabsue Bet  £6.00 £12.00 £27.29
TinMan123 Call  £6.00 £18.00 £8.34
River

• K

TinMan123 Check     
mabsue Bet  £18.00 £36.00 £9.29
TinMan123 All-in  £8.34 £44.34 £0.00
mabsue Unmatched bet  £9.66 £34.68 £18.95
TinMan123 Show
  • J

mabsue Show
  • A

TinMan123 Win Straight to the Ace £32.95  £32.95
well doesnt show suits here but you get the idea

Comments

• edited November 2009
    You made a pot-sized bet on every street. He never had the odds to call, but call he did. You were very unlucky.
    All the same, I would have checked the river. You were only getting called by a hand that beat you.
  • edited November 2009
    You played it well. He wasn't getting the odds (pot OR implied) to call for the gutshot and he just got lucky.
    He's 10/1 to hit the gutshot on the next card and by betting the pot you charged him 2/1 each time.
    I'm sure some people might advise you to bet more strongly but I like your play.
    Calling with A5 on the button pre-flop is fine too, imo.

Lots of people would just check the river but betting it is fine for me. There's no reason to put him on AK/AQ (no pre-flop raise) and the fact that he's called your flop and turn bets would lead me to think that he doesn't have JT.
    Opinions are divided between those who think you should always check the river unless you are super-strong (Tikay is a leading advocate of this, I believe) and those who think that you miss a LOT of value by doing this.
  • edited November 2009
    ok well thanks to be honest i didnt see any danger and if he shoved for the 8 quid he had behind i woulda  called so thats why i bet the river if he had a bigger stack i would have had a bigger decision thanks for your advice
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: DID I PLAY THIS WRONG OR GET UNLUCKY DONT PLAY CASH LOADS SO MAYBE I DID SOMETHING WRONG:
    ok well thanks to be honest i didnt see any danger and if he shoved for the 8 quid he had behind i woulda  called so thats why i bet the river if he had a bigger stack i would have had a bigger decision thanks for your advice
    Posted by mabsue
    He had already checked.
  • edited November 2009
    sorry my mistake been trying to copy and paste so long i forgot lol
  • edited November 2009
    fold PF.  post flop you played it fine but A5o is such a bad bad hand and to limp with it is even worse
  • edited November 2009
    lol i been watching you tooo long then Scotty
  • edited November 2009
    played it fine, you should be smiling to yourself after this happens, because you'll be picking up a lot of cash longterm from these fishies! :)
  • edited November 2009
    Preflop: Don't limp with A5 on the button, raise 4xbb +1bb for each limper
    Flop: Fine
    Turn: Fine
    River: Check
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
    i  would  have put  a  bigger   raise  on  the  flop 
  • edited November 2009

Chuck it away pre flop. Just like to raise the issue of playing weak aces on 6 handed mid stakes cash games. Is it really neccessery to play them? Same example A5 off on the button is it worth putting £2 in to steal 75pence? what hands are likely to call out of position? ive noticed lately it gets me into more trouble than its worth.

eg, raised to £2 on the button with ace 7 off, like to do it early in a session to keep my stack around the max buy in (by stealing blinds) while i have a look at the table. Got a call, flops 4clubs, 8 clubs, ten hearts. He checks, i C bet 3.50. he flats it. Turn is another 4. He checks to me, I have to bet again so I bet 85% of the pot to get him off a draw. he calls. The river is a blank, and he shoves in his stack. Now I either trust my read and call putting him on a missed flush draw and presume my A high is good. Or I fold and look at my stack, realising ive lost 15ish quid trying to steal 75 pence. Tournys of course completely different.

I lovvvveee aggression, and I dont think ive ever heard / read anything that suggests aggression is not the best way to play poker. I can't slow down on the turn, if he wants to call off with top pair or something here, then in the long run I'm gonna have him beat and calling me will get him in bother eventually anyway.

Ended up mumbling abit there but thats because its such a confusing/frustrating part of playing cash games aggressively. Give me 67 suited anyday haha.

Any genral theories/advice on playing rag aces(unsuited) at a 6 handed cash table?

Cheerz, JJ