You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you progress?

It makes sense to play the lower tables to learn/progress, however the quality of play is so bad, it beggars belief. From the table hopping short stacked all-in merchants, to the dumbest calls ever. Scotty77 said he would play 1000 hands on these lower tables....well mate gl because you will need it. However much I bide my time endlessly folding some **** wipes me out.....question, do I give up? or play tables that my bankroll cannot match? where generally the standard of play is better.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    No.

Just play tight but aggressive poker.

Play say 2 or 3 tables to stop you getting so bored.

Play abc poker, betting big when you hit.

Fold marginal hands, play pairs and good aces strong, then when you hit flops bet big.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: How do you progress?:
    No. Just play tight but aggressive poker. Play say 2 or 3 tables to stop you getting so bored. Play abc poker, betting big when you hit. Fold marginal hands, play pairs and good aces strong, then when you hit flops bet big.
    Posted by donkeyplop

Thanks for the reply, much obliged

• edited June 2012
    I was frustrated like you but you really REALLY have to tighten up. NL4 is so pathetic it's almost laughable, but 3 or 4 months ago i remember posting like you are now, moaning about 'bingo' and 'roulette' players.

First step - make sure you have at LEAST 20BI's, so £80 (more is preferable, but for me this is enough, i usually withdraw profits then keep just 10 BI's in my roll for this level.)

Second step - play on the site a lot. You'll learn who to avoid and who is just awful (LOTS of ridiculously poor players at this level on every site)

Third step - Tighten up, play POSITIONALLY (this is really important) and just value bet relentlessly when you have a hand.

Over the long run you'll clean up at this level.

When i say tight i mean hands like QT aren't generally very good because you can't raise huge with them out of position but if you raise anything less than 5x you will get at least one caller every hand.

I make my raises 5-8x.

And Scotty77 doesn't need luck, he would absolutely crush these levels. It's about playing the situation. Table full of gimps? Tighten up and don't allow them to bleed your chips away on marginal calls. Table full of nit regs? Steal.

Also be careful about the whole moving up levels because the play is better thing. The players there will adapt to your play and you'll find it harder, not easier.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: How do you progress?:
    I was frustrated like you but you really REALLY have to tighten up. NL4 is so pathetic it's almost laughable, but 3 or 4 months ago i remember posting like you are now, moaning about 'bingo' and 'roulette' players. First step - make sure you have at LEAST 20BI's, so £80 (more is preferable, but for me this is enough, i usually withdraw profits then keep just 10 BI's in my roll for this level.) Second step - play on the site a lot. You'll learn who to avoid and who is just awful (LOTS of ridiculously poor players at this level on every site) Third step - Tighten up, play POSITIONALLY (this is really important) and just value bet relentlessly when you have a hand. Over the long run you'll clean up at this level. When i say tight i mean hands like QT aren't generally very good because you can't raise huge with them out of position but if you raise anything less than 5x you will get at least one caller every hand. I make my raises 5-8x. And Scotty77 doesn't need luck, he would absolutely crush these levels. It's about playing the situation. Table full of gimps? Tighten up and don't allow them to bleed your chips away on marginal calls. Table full of nit regs? Steal. Also be careful about the whole moving up levels because the play is better thing. The players there will adapt to your play and you'll find it harder, not easier.
    Posted by Pipunch

Tnx for the tips :)