You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chip management advice from all you high rollers please

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi all I've been playing on sky poker for just over a month now mainly on sit and go and showing a small profit (bet that won't last lol) I'm interested in starting to play multi table tourneys and so decided the best way to see how I get on is to enter the freerolls, I finished 7th in sat night 25 point freerolls which I was thrilled with but found it really difficult to stay with the bets as the blinds get bigger. The average dym tourney does not get much over 400 - 800 blinds so the choices are easy push or fold. Enough waffle now I'll get to the point, my question is this when facing a min raise of say 40,000 because the blinds are so high how do players view their stack other than vieing chips as pound coins. I know this may be a daft question but I'd appreciate some advice on how to play th mtts.
thanks in advance for your replys (if any lol)

Comments

• edited November 2009
    It depends on the size of the blinds, size of the average stack and size of your stack.

If someone with <6BB just calls or min-raises, you can easily suspect a monster...
    Try to think of your stack in BB (Big Blinds)

So late in a 2000 chips 6 player DYM, blinds are 300-600, 4 players left. Average stack is 3000 (5BB), so most people will be in push/fold mode

In a MTT, there could be 2000000 chips in play, 20 players left. blinds 5000-10000. Average stack is 100000 (10BB), so there will be a fair few people in push/fold mode, but the big stacks will have some play left.

Hope that helped!

And you don't need to be a high-roller - get in a Deepstack for £2.20 and you'll see a nice slow structure to get used to larger stack sizes
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Chip management advice from all you high rollers please:
    It depends on the size of the blinds, size of the average stack and size of your stack. If someone with <6BB just calls or min-raises, you can easily suspect a monster... Try to think of your stack in BB (Big Blinds) So late in a 2000 chips 6 player DYM, blinds are 300-600, 4 players left. Average stack is 3000 (5BB), so most people will be in push/fold mode In a MTT, there could be 2000000 chips in play, 20 players left. blinds 5000-10000. Average stack is 100000 (10BB), so there will be a fair few people in push/fold mode, but the big stacks will have some play left. Hope that helped! And you don't need to be a high-roller - get in a Deepstack for £2.20 and you'll see a nice slow structure to get used to larger stack sizes
    Posted by Loki-Rogy

OK cheers for that I appreciate your response,   so without getting too mathmatical I should be dividing the stacks by the big blind to make the numbers less intimidating as a starting point and see how I go.
  • edited November 2009
    right way to do it bigfish, dont get intimidated by huge number of chips, late stages of MTT chip stacks are cruicial for knowing when to steal, whos bluffing, whos got a monster etc

You should be pushing all in if you have less than 8BB, anymore and you should be raising 2-3times the BB late on in an MTT. 2-3times BB raise is respected a lot more late on than a 2-3times BB raise early on