You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What did i do wrong?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
lpool187Small blind 25.0025.00900.00
johnm69Big blind 50.0075.00825.00
 Your hole cards
  • J

john1931Call 50.00125.002250.00
Rusty007Call 50.00175.00750.00
Dave900Call 50.00225.00850.00
Bassett543Call 50.00275.001125.00
lpool187Fold    
johnm69Check    
Flop

• J
  • J

johnm69Bet 100.00375.00725.00
john1931Fold    
Rusty007Raise 200.00575.00550.00
Dave900Call 200.00775.00650.00
Bassett543Call 200.00975.00925.00
johnm69Call 100.001075.00625.00
Turn

johnm69Check    
Rusty007Check    
Dave900Bet 150.001225.00500.00
Bassett543Call 150.001375.00775.00
johnm69Call 150.001525.00475.00
Rusty007All-in 550.002075.000.00
Dave900Call 400.002475.00100.00
Bassett543Call 400.002875.00375.00
johnm69Fold    
River

• A

Dave900Check    
Bassett543Check    
Rusty007Show

Dave900Muck
  • Q
  • Q

Bassett543Muck
  • J

Rusty007WinFull House, 2s and Jacks2875.00 2875.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    fold pre, as played shove flop.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What did i do wrong?:
    fold pre, as played shove flop.
    Posted by Curt360x27

excuse my ignorance but im a newbie. What does that mean?

• edited June 2012
    he is saying fold preflop (before the 1st 3 cards come up) j9o doesn't play well against that many opponants save your money for a better spot. But as you did call and hit trips Curt is saying to shove (go allin) on the flop
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What did i do wrong? : excuse my ignorance but im a newbie. What does that mean?
    Posted by Bassett543
    Fold the hand before the flop - Don't call.

If you are in the hand - Go all-in on the flop.
  • edited June 2012
    Pre isn't the worst thing you could do, but it's a fold, try and get out of the habit of limping in pre flop. In the long run it isn't profitable

I don't think you played it bad post flop, I like not raising because I doubt you'd get called by a worse hand. But is this a freeroll? Maybe you would if it is... 
  • edited June 2012
    he is saying fold preflop (before the 1st 3 cards come up) j9o doesn't play well against that many opponants save your money for a better spot. But as you did call and hit trips Curt is saying to shove (go allin) on the flop
    Posted by jams88
    Cheers! i was wondering what shove meant. 
  • edited June 2012
    Pre isn't the worst thing you could do, but it's a fold, try and get out of the habit of limping in pre flop. In the long run it isn't profitable I don't think you played it bad post flop, I like not raising because I doubt you'd get called by a worse hand. But is this a freeroll? Maybe you would if it is... 
    Posted by percival09
    It Was A £2 DYM
  • edited June 2012
    Have you read John Connors blog on here about playing DYM's.

Welll worth a read.
  • edited June 2012
    First reply nailed it.

Fold preflop, but once the flop comes you've struck gold. Once you get a bet and a raise and multiple callers on the flop you need to just go all in. If someone calls with 22 then they're playing badly and it's just a cooler when they make a full house.
  • edited June 2012
    As I know you're new I'll expand a bit.

Folding preflop is because J9 won't play well most times in a multiway pot, because in most cases even if you hit it will be sideways. IE you will only hit the jack or the nine and then be at risk of overcards or people with the same pair but a better kicker. Add to that you are playing the hand OOP (out of postion). Playing a poor hand is compounded when you play OOP because you are first to act on every street here and can get pots stolen from you because of this. So don't get into the habit of playing weak hands from weak postions.

This is more so in a DYM, as the key is to get to the prizes so playing lots of pots is not really helpful in most cases. Sit and wait for the right hands. This can feel boring if only playing one table but its the correct play in all forms of poker but definately in DYM's where you stone cold target in mind for what you need to do to win money here, and spewing chips with garbage hands is not the way to go.

This hand as others have said is best folded pre, but as played then definately shove the flop as you want to cut the amount of players down rather than risk some outdraw, which is what happened because you slow played the hand multiway.
  • edited June 2012
    Pre isn't the worst thing you could do, but it's a fold, try and get out of the habit of limping in pre flop. In the long run it isn't profitable I don't think you played it bad post flop, I like not raising because I doubt you'd get called by a worse hand. But is this a freeroll? Maybe you would if it is... 
    Posted by percival09
     limping in pre flop when the blinds are small seems to be the only was i can get in hands at the moment. I guess i panic even with big hole cards if someone raises too much. The number of times i find myslef folding a big hand because a big raise is put on the board. I think i need to learn a bit more especially about position
  • edited June 2012
    As I know you're new I'll expand a bit. Folding preflop is because J9 won't play well most times in a multiway pot, because in most cases even if you hit it will be sideways. IE you will only hit the jack or the nine and then be at risk of overcards or people with the same pair but a better kicker. Add to that you are playing the hand OOP (out of postion). Playing a poor hand is compounded when you play OOP because you are first to act on every street here and can get pots stolen from you because of this. So don't get into the habit of playing weak hands from weak postions. This is more so in a DYM, as the key is to get to the prizes so playing lots of pots is not really helpful in most cases. Sit and wait for the right hands. This can feel boring if only playing one table but its the correct play in all forms of poker but definately in DYM's where you stone cold target in mind for what you need to do to win money here, and spewing chips with garbage hands is not the way to go. This hand as others have said is best folded pre, but as played then definately shove the flop as you want to cut the amount of players down rather than risk some outdraw, which is what happened because you slow played the hand multiway.
    Posted by KAM99
    (Psssttt... pssstt... Kam, he's playing on the button.)

When you start playing poker, I think the two most valuable pieces of advice anyone can give you are:

1) Play more hands in late position (On the dealer button, preferably) than you do in early position. In fact, you should try not to play anything but the strongest few hands when you're going to be first to act.

2) Always try to enter a pot with a raise. (If nobody else has raised before you) If you don't think your hand is good enough to raise, then it's usually best to fold.

As you gain more experience you will expand on that but these are the foundations that you'll want to build on.
  • edited June 2012
    simple answer u played j 9 preflop and limping is bad j 9 is a bad hand just fold no need to look at the rest of the hand 
  • edited June 2012
    They say every day is a school day. I guess for £10 i have had two weeks of fun so far which is good value for money. My mrs's sixteen year old will often spend in excess of £40 on a new ps3 game and is bored in quicker time than that. Id like to thank everyone for their advice! I will try and heed as much of it as possible.
    Kindest Regards
    Will
    AKA The Bassett 
  • edited June 2012
    a good post exatly u spent £30 on a ps3 game and poker u enjoy it and can win money on a ps3 game u cant win money :) aslong as u have fun all that matters if u like tourneys play the 7.45 pm deepstack if u have time always good fun and lasts a long time :)
  • edited June 2012
    simple answer u played j 9 preflop and limping is bad j 9 is a bad hand just fold no need to look at the rest of the hand 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Ok so J9o is a non caller (except maybe heads up) (not that i am often in that situation lol)  ! Why is it that on the button there are more playable hands? surely a non playble hand is a non playble hand where ever you are?
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What did i do wrong? : Ok so J9o is a non caller (except maybe heads up) (not that i am often in that situation lol)  ! Why is it that on the button there are more playable hands? surely a non playble hand is a non playble hand where ever you are?
    Posted by Bassett543
    Simply put, after the flop the player on the button is the last to act. That gives you the advantage of seeing what your opponent does before you act. This means you can make certain deductions on how much they like the flop, turn and river and can take advantage of that information. If you're out of position and first to act, you have to make your decision without any indication of what the flop, turn and river mean to your opponent.

Having position in the hand will always make your hand easier to play. You will get more value from your big hands and will be able to bluff more easily.
  • edited June 2012
    a good post exatly u spent £30 on a ps3 game and poker u enjoy it and can win money on a ps3 game u cant win money :) aslong as u have fun all that matters if u like tourneys play the 7.45 pm deepstack if u have time always good fun and lasts a long time :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Cheers IDCU
    I have just registered for that. I have also registered for the euro thing as i will never gain enough points in a month to get any cash from them. I might as well do something with them, With my free £10 bet i won £24 as there are some things i can make a bit more of an informed decission on the i might as well give it a go, I might get lucky.

• edited June 2012
    Again I would like to sincerely thank everybody for their advice. It turns out i have just as much fun learning as i do playing. As i said in my other thread "In the dog trailing world which i am involved in, when i was learning the so called experts would often give bad advice as they didn't want new comers to know what they knew". I guess i got used to that
  • edited June 2012
    button is the best place to be as u are last to act so u will see all the action before your go