You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I come over all weird

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I play DYM's and either cash or get bumped by something late in the bigger blinds. I play pretty tight.
Then I play some nl4. I play tight as in DYM and the I see two players showing a pair of Jacks with a 4 and 6 kicker on an ajk108 board after I have folded a rag ace to a 4x openning which these two have called. After a few similar things happening I find I am calling raises with K6off and then calling an all in on a 69Q board.

Does anyone else get this sort of aberration especially when my notes have LAG on all the people on the table.
How do I keep discipline and play my normal tight game??

Comments

• edited June 2012
    You won't beat them by becoming one of them, gracie24...

On the rare occasions that I have bothered to play NL4, I've maintained my discipline by playing three or four tables and making sure there's something good on the telly to stop me from getting frustrated. There's not much value in playing sub-premium hands or doing anything other than playing an ABC style at that level.
  • edited June 2012
    Keep your discipline . Vbet hard when you hit

Lag is most misused word on this forum imo
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to I come over all weird:
    I play DYM's and either cash or get bumped by something late in the bigger blinds. I play pretty tight. Then I play some nl4. I play tight as in DYM and the I see two players showing a pair of Jacks with a 4 and 6 kicker on an ajk108 board after I have folded a rag ace to a 4x openning which these two have called. After a few similar things happening I find I am calling raises with K6off and then calling an all in on a 69Q board. Does anyone else get this sort of aberration especially when my notes have LAG on all the people on the table. How do I keep discipline and play my normal tight game??
    Posted by gracie24
    Dicipline is one thing and prob pretty essential at nl4 (well definately essential)

But use your notes and call if your beating their range in spots.  Dont have to be right all the time.  When we are wrong we can just put it down to inducing action we want/stirring the pot.

Just make the best decision you can vs their noted range & betting pattern
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: I come over all weird:
    Keep your discipline . Vbet hard when you hit Lag is most misused word on this forum imo
    Posted by grantorino
    agreed

• edited June 2012
    Yes as the others have said play more tables if you can't stop yourself getting bored waiting for good hands.

LAG is used to often and applied to all the donks. LAG is the most profitable form of poker, but its takes a huge amount of skill to play it well. However, it is not the most profitable when playing at stakes like 4nl where no-one has a clue where the fold button is. So at this level you really need to play tight ABC poker to make consistant profit.

Fact is most times the term LAG is used its wrong and the players are just loose, and more often than not they are loose/passive rather than LAG. And normally most players break it down further when applying these terms as you may find someone is LAG preflop and then tight/passive post flop because they don't know where to go with the flop etc. So terms do get thrown around to much and often wrongly.
  • edited June 2012
    Agreed with yr comments re lag. Maybe I should really term the any two cards pre flop and either agressive or passive post.

thx all

In Response to Re: I come over all weird:
    Yes as the others have said play more tables if you can't stop yourself getting bored waiting for good hands. LAG is used to often and applied to all the donks. LAG is the most profitable form of poker, but its takes a huge amount of skill to play it well. However, it is not the most profitable when playing at stakes like 4nl where no-one has a clue where the fold button is. So at this level you really need to play tight ABC poker to make consistant profit. Fact is most times the term LAG is used its wrong and the players are just loose, and more often than not they are loose/passive rather than LAG. And normally most players break it down further when applying these terms as you may find someone is LAG preflop and then tight/passive post flop because they don't know where to go with the flop etc. So terms do get thrown around to much and often wrongly.
    Posted by KAM99