You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 bet in front of you

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
i understand the concept of a 3 and 4 bet. But what is a 3 bet in front of you?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    In Response to 3 bet in front of you:
    Posted by Bassett543

also can someone please explain what this means........  you should always fire 2 streets and usually 3 for value.
  • edited June 2012
    What is a continuation bet please
  • edited June 2012
    1. A 3bet is the 3rd bet, a 4 bet the 4th bet (pre the blinds count as a bet). So a 3bet in front of you means there is a bet a raise and a reraise before action gets to you

2 . The 3 streets are flop turn and river. Firing 3 streets means bet flop turn and river etc

3. A continuation bet is when you bet flop after making the last raise preflop
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to 3 bet in front of you:
    Posted by Bassett543

If someone has 3 bet in front of you, it means exactly what it says - Someone in front of you (So someone in earlier position who acts before you) has made a 3 bet.

In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you:
    What is a continuation bet please
    Posted by Bassett543

When you raise pre-flop, you are generally expected to bet the flop most of the time (You don't HAVE to, but most of the time, it's the right thing to do), whether you hit or miss. The bet you make on the flop, having been aggressive pre-flop by raising, then continuing to represent strength on the flop, is called a continuation bet, or c-bet.

An example would be that you're on the button, everyone before you folds, and you make a standard raise. The Big Blind calls, and checks the flop. You are going to c-bet here most of the time, because you know that the Big Blind will have missed the flop most of the time, so he'll often fold and you can win the pot. 

If you raise pre-flop and someone calls, then usually they will check to you, expecting you to c-bet on the flop. 

The "opposite" of this is what is known as a "donk bet", or "donk lead". This is when, instead of checking to you and letting you c-bet, they choose to bet themselves.

In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you:
    In Response to 3 bet in front of you : also can someone please explain what this means........    you should always fire 2 streets and usually 3 for value.
    Posted by Bassett543

There's a lot of things in here:

Streets: This simply refers to the flop, turn, and river. You'll sometimes hear, especially in the United States, the flop referred to as "3rd Street", the turn referred to as "4th Street", and the river referred to as "5th Street". 

When we're "Firing 2 streets", this simply means we're betting on two "streets", so you make a c-bet on the flop, our opponent calls, then we bet again on the turn. The other phrase you may hear to describe exactly the same thing is "Fired 2 bullets", a bullet simply meaning a bet.

When we're doing it "For value", it means that we're doing it to get money from someone with a worse hand, or someone with a drawing hand and we want to make them pay to try and hit their draw. In Poker, we should be betting for one of two reasons - For value, to get money from a someone with a worse hand, or as a bluff, to make a better hand fold.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you:
    1. A 3bet is the 3rd b et, a 4 bet the 4th bet (pre the blinds count as a bet). So a 3bet in front of you means there is a bet a raise and a reraise before action gets to you 2 . The 3 streets are flop turn and river. Firing 3 streets means bet flop turn and river etc 3. A continuation bet is when you bet flop after making the last raise preflop
    Posted by grantorino
    Cheers.. So what he is saying here "AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK. Raise or 3-bet all of these hands from any position. Fold JJ, AK to a 4-bet or to a 3-bet in front of you." Is that i am generally ok to raise a raise with AA KK QQ JJ AK but to not raise with JJ or AK if this has already happened ie two people have raised the big blind already. ??
  • edited June 2012
    folding AK to just a 4bet i think is quite nitty dependant on oppo and stacks.

The wounderful thing about poker is everything is situational, there is no clear cut way to play each hand in the same situation. Opponents, Stacks, meaning of hand etc all play apart. Example of this would be the guy that folded Aces preflop in the big game. Situation means that fold although bad most of the time, on that occassion i could accept a strong arguement for the fold. Although personally i dont make it.

There are cartain things that obviously we must do. Eg. We dont check the best possible hand on the board on the river last to act. Not only is it bad ettiquite is value costing and against rules in tournaments (live).
  • edited June 2012
    folding AK to just a 4bet i think is quite nitty dependant on oppo and stacks. The wounderful thing about poker is everything is situational, there is no clear cut way to play each hand in the same situation. Opponents, Stacks, meaning of hand etc all play apart. Example of this would be the guy that folded Aces preflop in the big game. Situation means that fold although bad most of the time, on that occassion i could accept a strong arguement for the fold. Although personally i dont make it. There are cartain things that obviously we must do. Eg. We dont check the best possible hand on the board on the river last to act. Not only is it bad ettiquite is value costing and against rules in tournaments (live).
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cheers. I am just reading a blog and obviously it is speaking generally about DYM's but there are a few things that are over my head as a beginner. i was just trying to clarify a few thing i didnt understand there are a few more bits im not sure on but it is good there is a place you can ask these questions. what do you mean by.......

"We dont check the best possible hand on the board on the river last to act. Not only is it bad ettiquite is value costing and against rules in tournaments (live)."
    Sorry if i am being stupid
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : Cheers.. So what he is saying here " AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK. Raise or 3-bet all of these hands from any position. Fold JJ, AK to a 4-bet or to a 3-bet in front of you." Is that i am generally ok to raise a raise with AA KK QQ JJ AK but to not raise with JJ or AK if this has already happened ie two people have raised the big blind already. ??
    Posted by Bassett543
    It's giving you advice about opening ranges. If you have JJ+ and AK you want to be raising as a rule. This is because getting all the money in pre flop with these hands you are likely to be favorite or 50:50 most times. A 3-bet pre means making a raise after someone has opened with a raise so the big blind is bet one. Opening raise is to 3 big blinds and a 3-bet would be to about 9 big blinds. A four bet would be the next raise (usually to about 25 big blinds)

What it's saying is if you are on the button for example and two people have acted before you. One raises to 3BBs and another re-raises (3-bets) to 9BBs you should be 4-betting QQ+ with the idea of going all in pre flop. But if you have JJ or AK you should probably fold since there is a high chance you don't have the best hand given the action so far. This is a raise and a 3-bet in front of you.

If there is only one raise then it's ok to 3-bet with AK and JJ but you probably have to fold JJ if the raiser 4-bets  while you can generally 5-bet-shove AK.

Of course this is all player dependant. There are some players who don't 4-bet with anything other than KK/AA. If you get 4-bet by these players you can only really get all the money in with AA. On the other hand there are some players who will 4-bet hands as weak as TT or AJ, though these are less common at the micro-stakes. If micro stakes players want to get AIPF with AJ or TT then they generally just 3-bet shove! lol!

Hope this helps. Although if you are learning poker post flop hand reading if a much more valueable skill than learning a pre-flop range
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : Cheers. I am just reading a blog and obviously it is speaking generally about DYM's but there are a few things that are over my head as a beginner. i was just trying to clarify a few thing i didnt understand there are a few more bits im not sure on but it is good there is a place you can ask these questions. what do you mean by.......  "We dont check the best possible hand on the board on the river last to act. Not only is it bad ettiquite is value costing and against rules in tournaments (live)." Sorry if i am being stupid
    Posted by Bassett543
    The situation i refer to is say we hold AK and the board reads TJQ25 with no flush draws. We have the best possible hand. Now say we're on the button that means we're the last person to act in the pot. If we check we cant get value from our hand which we want. These situations dont come across often so we need to get the most possible amount of chips when they come.

Bad Ettiquite means its frowned upon. Sorta like an unwritten rule. People can see this as a form of collussion.

When i say its against the rules. In a Live event (an event that is held in a venue and not online) we would usually recieve a round sit out for this. A round sit out means that we cant be at the table until they play one round. So if our sit out starts on the Big Blind we wouldnt be able to play again until our next Big Blind.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : Cheers.. So what he is saying here " AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK. Raise or 3-bet all of these hands from any position. Fold JJ, AK to a 4-bet or to a 3-bet in front of you." Is that i am generally ok to raise a raise with AA KK QQ JJ AK but to not raise with JJ or AK if this has already happened ie two people have raised the big blind already. ??
    Posted by Bassett543
    think you extrating from JC's blog reagrding DYM early level play

if you 3 bet AK + JJ, and then someone 4 bets then fold

if someone 3 bets before you, then fold AK +JJ
    ---------------------------

u have the big blind which is the 1st bet
    1st raise is the 2nd bet
    2nd raise is the 3rd bet
    3rd raise is the 4th bet.... and so on

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : It's giving you advice about opening ranges. If you have JJ+ and AK you want to be raising as a rule. This is because getting all the money in pre flop with these hands you are likely to be favorite or 50:50 most times. A 3-bet pre means making a raise after someone has opened with a raise so the big blind is bet one. Opening raise is to 3 big blinds and a 3-bet would be to about 9 big blinds. A four bet would be the next raise (usually to about 25 big blinds) What it's saying is if you are on the button for example and two people have acted before you. One raises to 3BBs and another re-raises (3-bets) to 9BBs you should be 4-betting QQ+ with the idea of going all in pre flop. But if you have JJ or AK you should probably fold since there is a high chance you don't have the best hand given the action so far. This is a raise and a 3-bet in front of you. If there is only one raise then it's ok to 3-bet with AK and JJ but you probably have to fold JJ if the raiser 4-bets  while you can generally 5-bet-shove AK. Of course this is all player dependant. There are some players who don't 4-bet with anything other than KK/AA. If you get 4-bet by these players you can only really get all the money in with AA. On the other hand there are some players who will 4-bet hands as weak as TT or AJ, though these are less common at the micro-stakes. If micro stakes players want to get AIPF with AJ or TT then they generally just 3-bet shove! lol! Hope this helps. Although if you are learning poker post flop hand reading if a much more valueable skill than learning a pre-flop range
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Thank you, this helps. I only posted my first hand on the clinic today and with all the replies i have had i am starting to piece it all together. It is just a lot of info to try and digest with reading a blog on dym's, plus some of the terminology i dont understand yet but it is all very interesting. i will re read every thing im sure as it wont all stay in lol. Im struggling with defining the 4 styles of play!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : think you extrating from JC's blog reagrding DYM early level play if you 3 bet AK + JJ, and then someone 4 bets then fold if someone 3 bets before you, then fold AK +JJ --------------------------- u have the big blind which is the 1st bet 1st raise is the 2nd bet 2nd raise is the 3rd bet 3rd raise is the 4th bet.... and so on
    Posted by rancid
     Cheers and youre right i am extracting from JC's blog. its just some of it goes over my head. My dad once told me that the only way how to learn to play poker is to spend money. so i guess its time to hit the tables.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 bet in front of you : The situation i refer to is say we hold AK and the board reads TJQ25 with no flush draws. We have the best possible hand. Now say we're on the button that means we're the last person to act in the pot. If we check we cant get value from our hand which we want. These situations dont come across often so we need to get the most possible amount of chips when they come. Bad Ettiquite means its frowned upon. Sorta like an unwritten rule. People can see this as a form of collussion. When i say its against the rules. In a Live event (an event that is held in a venue and not online) we would usually recieve a round sit out for this. A round sit out means that we cant be at the table until they play one round. So if our sit out starts on the Big Blind we wouldnt be able to play again until our next Big Blind.
    Posted by The_Don90

Cheers. I wouldnt want to do anything that was considered bad ettiquette. i have just played two £2 dym's (won 1 and lost 1)  sticking to the tighter approach but i get nervouse because sometimes i dont hit a hand for a long time and i end up small stack. You get people going all in with Q8s and people calling with K9o sometimes pre flop. In your opinion is this too small of a stake for people to play properly and just try and ride luck?

• edited June 2012
    basset my advice in the 1st few levels play really tight only play premium hand pocket 10s above till 100/200 level by this time should be 4 left then its all about surviving so if u have your tarting stack u only have 10 big blinds so have to pick spots to survive or u will get blinded out normally on the bubble im all in every button to steal the blinds 
  • edited June 2012
    basset my advice in the 1st few levels play really tight only play premium hand pocket 10s above till 100/200 level by this time should be 4 left then its all about surviving so if u have your tarting stack u only have 10 big blinds so have to pick spots to survive or u will get blinded out normally on the bubble im all in every button to steal the blinds 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yeah i have been trying today. so far i have played 4 and cashed twice. i was just wondering if in the lower stakes people tend to call hands that are not as sensible? trying to ride their luck so to speak
  • edited June 2012
    in lower stakes dyms just be patient u be suprised how many people go out in the early stages i played a dym and didnt play a single hand and still cashed yeah on low stakes people do call on a wide range so play more aggresive when u have a good hand 
  • edited June 2012
    You sound new to poker bassett so stop trying to follow a strategy blog from an experienced player. Get yourself on the lowest stake DYMs and learn the game for yourself. Your Dad is right - so make it cheap!
  • edited June 2012
    You sound new to poker bassett so stop trying to follow a strategy blog from an experienced player. Get yourself on the lowest stake DYMs and learn the game for yourself. Your Dad is right - so make it cheap!
    Posted by elldixon18

im not trying to follow a strategy as such. i was just limping in on every hand in the first two levels which people have told me is bad. when people have posted advice im just asking questions. Trying to learn and figure out the lingo. The problem i have found with the £0.60 and £1 DYM's is people dont seem to play poker they just call silly bets and ride their luck. i have been far more successful at the £2 level. I let my missus play the £0.60 level and sometimes she cashes and the only poker she has ever played is free on her phone. Ive had some fun in the last three weeks learnt a bit and it has only cost me my initial £10 deposit plus i've drawn a bit although im sure that was down to a lucky BH tourney win. Beats playing the playstation lol. On the upside i had a top 5 finish today in a BH tourney. Got done all in with AQs with a pair of fours against the large stack. i was trying to steal the blinds i hit an AQ on the flop but he made a flush but never mind it was a couple of hours of fun and i took a couple of bounties.