You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was i Right to fold (if i did anything right)

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
boo1966Small blind 25.0025.002600.00
tizmogBig blind 50.0075.001515.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

ORCKAFold    
vaile08Call 50.00125.002315.00
jeeves02Call 50.00175.001765.00
Bassett543Raise 100.00275.001825.00
boo1966Fold    
tizmogFold    
vaile08Call 50.00325.002265.00
jeeves02Call 50.00375.001715.00
Flop

vaile08Check    
jeeves02Bet 187.50562.501527.50
Bassett543Raise 375.00937.501450.00
vaile08Fold    
jeeves02Call 187.501125.001340.00
Turn

jeeves02Check    
Bassett543Bet 150.001275.001300.00
jeeves02Call 150.001425.001190.00
River

jeeves02Check    
Bassett543Bet 200.001625.001100.00
jeeves02All-in 1190.002815.000.00
Bassett543Fold    
jeeves02Muck    
jeeves02Win 1825.00 1825.00
jeeves02Return 990.000.002815.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    there is alot wrong in this hand bassett 1s of all jj u want it heads up not multiway so by doing this you need to raise bigger before the flop i would go 200 there is a thing at bottom of the table u can type in what u like i know your a beginner i can see u just clicked min raise which i dont like as every 1 will call and u dnt want jj multiway on the flop im raising bigger to about 500 and your turn bet is so weak the 3 is a brick with roughly 900 in middle u should bet 750 bassett in future if in doublt and u have a good hand press the 3/4 pot bet button 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Was i Right to fold (if i did anything right):
    there is alot wrong in this hand bassett 1s of all jj u want it heads up not multiway so by doing this you need to raise bigger before the flop i would go 200 there is a thing at bottom of the table u can type in what u like i know your a beginner i can see u just clicked min raise which i dont like as every 1 will call and u dnt want jj multiway on the flop im raising bigger to about 500 and your turn bet is so weak the 3 is a brick with roughly 900 in middle u should bet 750 bassett in future if in doublt and u have a good hand press the 3/4 pot bet button 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Right cheers. Noted and hopefully absorbed. I can safley say i have stopped limping though following all advice recieved. But what about if im first to act pre with say A10s,KJo,K10s,Q10s. if the big blind is only say 20 then is it not worth a look at the flop. same question if i can get away with just a call to the big blind and last to act?  As i had been limping in the first two rounds with pretty much anything.
  • edited June 2012
    i dont advise limping any stage on the table by raising u are taking control of the pot and when the flop comes down if check to u  you can rep a strong hand by betting for instance u can raise with k q and flop comes down ace  6  by raisng preflop u can bet on this flop by repping the ace because u raised preflop if u limp ure range limping is BAD unless u are in big blind and u have bad cards and people call then check see the flop the best place to be on the table is the button because u are last to act 
  • edited June 2012
    i dont advise limping any stage on the table by raising u are taking control of the pot and when the flop comes down if check to u  you can rep a strong hand by betting for instance u can raise with k q and flop comes down ace  6  by raisng preflop u can bet on this flop by repping the ace because u raised preflop if u limp ure range limping is BAD unless u are in big blind and u have bad cards and people call then check see the flop the best place to be on the table is the button because u are last to act 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Ok cool. I am also seeing the same players quite a bit. someone mentioned as did JC to make notes on people but i am useless at reading people and styles of play as i cant really define styles of play at the moment. i guess this is a part of my game i will need to learn before trying to move up to say £5 DYM's. I suppose its harder to read people in the lower stakes as people call large raises and all ins with rubbish sometimes.

• edited June 2012
    yeah i wouldnt play £5.50 dyms tho pal unless u have £100 in your account 
  • edited June 2012
    yeah i wouldnt play £5.50 dyms tho pal unless u have £100 in your account 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yeah i definately took note of JC on that one. If i can build it up to £110 then i will use the 10 for two £5 games and if i lose i will drop back down to £3 games and i will only go up to £3 games when i get my account up to £66 roughly keeping 20 games at any level in my acc. although this all seems very far fetched at the moment as i only have £15 lol. Actually i suppose if i was to count the 30 i have withdrawn i would be up to 45. but i wont so im not. From my original £10 im getting on for three weeks of fun and learning
  • edited June 2012
    im not a dym player but i can see a few things that stand out to me that isnt quite right. i dont like the min raise on the button when theres already been a couple of limpers, this is inviting calls and you more than likely gonna still see the pot multiway but inflated. i would have raised it to around 200 but others will tell you better.

the other thing was betting the river when it was checked to you. i think its a fairly easy check here for yourself as you have some showdown value with an overpair to the board. i think you only beat a bluff in this spot.

i hear johnconners blog is a good read but i think he set himself some tight level steps in regard to moving up. i would use it as a guide but not as a rule. these things can be very player dependent and what works for one doesnt mean it works for all.

theres also another thread over in general poker chat by devonfish05 who plays a lot of £2 + £3 dyms thats worth a read, hes set himself a little challenge and it would be worth reading over. think its titled £40-£1000 a challenge 

if you are new to the game of poker i wouldnt be in a hurry about moving up the levels, gain the experience at the lower levels first as it will stand you in good stead moving forward

heres a link to devonfish05s thread

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a23044857-4218-4b81-9477-4c577c5a23bf
  • edited June 2012
    im not a dym player but i can see a few things that stand out to me that isnt quite right. i dont like the min raise on the button when theres already been a couple of limpers, this is inviting calls and you more than likely gonna still see the pot multiway but inflated. i would have raised it to around 200 but others will tell you better.   the other thing was betting the river when it was checked to you. i think its a fairly easy check here for yourself as you have some showdown value with an overpair to the board. i think you only beat a bluff in this spot. i hear johnconners blog is a good read but i think he set himself some tight level steps in regard to moving up. i would use it as a guide but not as a rule. these things can be very player dependent and what works for one doesnt mean it works for all. theres also another thread over in general poker chat by devonfish05 who plays a lot of £2 + £3 dyms thats worth a read, hes set himself a little challenge and it would be worth reading over. think its titled £40-£1000 a challenge  if you are new to the game of poker i wouldnt be in a hurry about moving up the levels, gain the experience at the lower levels first as it will stand you in good stead moving forward heres a link to devonfish05s thread https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?
    action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a23044857-4218-4b81-9477-4c577c5a23bf
    Posted by TINTIN

Cheers TINTIN i will have a look now

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Was i Right to fold (if i did anything right) : Right cheers. Noted and hopefully absorbed. I can safley say i have stopped limping though following all advice recieved. But what about if im first to act pre with say A10s,KJo,K10s,Q10s. if the big blind is only say 20 then is it not worth a look at the flop. same question if i can get away with just a call to the big blind and last to act?  As i had been limping in the first two rounds with pretty much anything.
    Posted by Bassett543
    Ok, on limping you can do it. Its not the recommended general rule of poker as you want value from your hands and to clear out people with trash hands in the blinds etc, and this is main reasons for raising preflop. And of course if you think your hand is good enough to play then it should be good enough to raise. However, with that said, it is sometimes acceptable to limp with your hands in MTT's and some other formats while the blinds are still at very low level, and generally with more speculative hands that you're looking to flop bigger with and so a few more in the hand with you is preferable.

Now with that said, there are a few things to note. One doing this type of thing means you need to be a good post flop player and so not always best advice for a novice that is still working out hand strengths the board, pot odd and so on, as often working out what villians have is often one of the last things they tend to be thinking of when starting out. Also, doing this is not looking to hit a board sideways and play it overly. IE playing J10s is fine, but if you hit a 10 or J and are getting resistance then its often safer to let it go depending on board and action.

If you do limping picking times and places is also some what important. You don't really want to be limping UTG with to weak a hand as you going to be OOP (out of postion) for the rest of the hand and can often be taken off a hand just for that reason. So to start with I'd say play your spec hands in the later postions and if you got one or two limpers already.

Anway, this is just a couple of notes. You might see this noted down more in books like the one you said "every tournament hand" as think that has something on limping early in MTT's, but again its something that you don't do lots of, and does require some reason why you are doing it other than just wanting to see lots of flops and getting wider and wider with your range of hands you play. Overall raising is better and with hands worth playing.
  • edited June 2012
    my advice well its the norm thing to do bassett say blinds 25/50 and u have a good hand like 10s js qs ks aces or ak aq  every limp is a xtra raise preflop so the standard raise is 150 so 2x so if u get 2 people limp i would go 4 x so 250 :) and on flop if nice flop either half pot or 3/4 pot bet it shows on your table u can press these buttons u cant go wrong with this as in poker bet sizing is so important if u price people in and get unlucky really u can only blame yourself to many people these days say i get unlucky 2 outter rivered bla bla bla but have they played the hand well thats the thing more then likely the people that get unlucky have made a mistake in the hand