You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Im guessing i should have raised less!!!!?????

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
pmanproSmall blind 15.0015.002030.00
hammer53Big blind 30.0045.002100.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

fog20Fold    
glynkCall 30.0075.00390.00
auldreekieFold    
Bassett543Raise 420.00495.001400.00
pmanproFold    
hammer53Fold    
glynkFold    
Bassett543Muck    
Bassett543Win 105.00 1505.00
Bassett543Return 390.000.001895.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    lol yeah 90-120 is better  
  • edited June 2012
    wow, yeah lol

in general, as you're a beginner, raise 3x the big blind if nobody behind you has limped into the pot, so with the blinds at 15/30 you'd raise to 90. In your hand above, there's been a limper so add 1x big blind, so you'd raise to 120. Add 1 more big blind if 2 people limp and so on... 

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Im guessing i should have raised less!!!!?????:
    wow, yeah lol in general, as you're a beginner, raise 3x the big blind if nobody behind you has limped into the pot, so with the blinds at 15/30 you'd raise to 90. In your hand above, there's been a limper so add 1x big blind, so you'd raise to 120. Add 1 more big blind if 2 people limp and so on... 
    Posted by percival09
    This is a very good general rule

but with the aces its better that you raised too much rather than too little
  • edited June 2012
    You could do more then the standard 3x big. As you are on the button it might look like you are stealing the blinds, but 420 is far too much. I would go  about 165 at most.

Good luck!!
  • edited June 2012
    As Percival and others have said, 3bb + 1bb/limper is a good general rule, so raising to 120 here is what we'd usually do here. I'd actually do something slightly different, which I've explained a bit further below, but for a beginner, raise 3bb plus 1bb per limper is a good place to start.

I see what you've done here, you've set the limper all in. I can understand that as he only has 14bb and you want his stack, but it depends on his tendencies. If he's going to limp/call a lot, and is just having a gamble, fair enough. Unless I have that read on someone though, I'm just doing my default thing which is to make a standard raise.

As I said at the start, I wouldn't raise to 120 which is what we'd normally do when someone limps. Without the limper, we normally raise 3x the big blind, and 4x with one limper. I'd be tempted to "ignore" the limper and just make a standard 3x raise (so raise to 90 chips) here, because the limper is so short stacked, that I don't give a damn about him. I don't want 420 chips from him, I want a double up from one of the blinds.

Arguably the biggest mistake that people make at low stakes is playing way too many hands from the blinds, they think "I've put in 'x' and it's only another 'y' to call", so they make a call with a junk hand out of position, then they flop a pair and get themselves into all sorts of trouble. Also, the limper is going busto if he hits the flop, doesn't matter whether we raise 3x, 4x, or whatever. Therefore, I'd be making a standard 3x raise from the button, try to induce some action from one, or maybe even both of the blinds, and as well as getting the short stack's chips if he hits any piece of the flop, we also get more value from the players in the blinds. 
  • edited June 2012
    Kind of side with pingu here. Though its good to mix up your play abit. As I assume this is a DYM (good to note if it is in hand notes)? If it is then people can be a little nitty so the big raise is a get out the way to anyone other than someone with a monster. Think mixing it up with anything in the 3-5bb raise range would be fine here.

Reason being you are in late postion and know how many you are dragging to the pot roughly if you only 3-4x it here. If i was in early postion I might make it 4-5bb raise just because i don't want to have early calls that increase pot odds and I end up in some sick 5 way pot with AA. Fine to take a little more risk and just 3x it though here on the button at times when you want to get paid rather than drop dynamite in the pond and scare the fish off.
  • edited June 2012
    Again cheers ALL for comments. I guess i go from one extreme to the other lol. I just panic as the number of times i see aces get done, but again i suppose that it is because the people playing them are playing them wrong. 

On a seperate note. Has everyone here seen a you tube video called ice cold deck its well worth a watch its unbelievable AA v KK v QQ v 77 v 55 and the other guy has KJ