You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Begginers luck?

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
I reached 3 final tables last week including coming 3rd in the Open. Since then i have played badly/unluckily and im feeling a little frustrated.
Originaly i was funding the £11/22/33 entries via £5 sng's which i won my fair share and my bankroll was looking healthy. Now apart from a couple of satelites winning through to the main 8 oclocks, i have been buying in but seem to have no luck at all. I know where im making mistakes but continue to do so but even if im playing really well i get outdrawn in big hands, depleting my stack so have to push in situations where i wouldnt get called with a bigger stack and losing.

Im wondering whether the final tables were really just luck and im kidding myself im a half decent player.

Has anyone else had this problem? and any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Major

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Tournaments are minefields. Don't expect to win them all because you won't. You need luck and ability to win an mtt.
  • edited November 2009
    You dont get on these final tables with luck only so your doing something right but if you dont like buying in then like me you cant really afford it (assumption only)
  • edited November 2009
    you  need skill as well  as luck  to  reach  final  tables
  • edited November 2009
    you'vemade the final tables si it cant all be luck,you say you keep making the mistakes so try to make less mistakes and you should be ok,you will always get outdrawn a certain percentage of the time so cutting out mistakes will average out your chances of getting deep and eventually winning a tourny

good luck.....dave
  • edited November 2009
    Firstly not matter how good a player you are, in a MTT  you will play a hand badly, and a lot of the time the outcome of either these badly played hands, or the ones where you are slight favourite/ slight underdog will have a great influence on how the rest of your tourny goes. So yes maybe in those earlier tournies all those close hands ended up going in your favour, where as at present they are going against you.

HYowever whilst everyone who makes a final table can probably look back and remember a hand that was influential to them getting to the final table, its very unlikely that they get there due to total pure luck, they will have played the majority of their hands skillfully

To have reached 3 final tables suggests that you arent doing much wrong, and the fact that you recognise the mistakes you make is the first step to correcting them.

If you feel that the luck is just not going with you at present, then for the first 2/3 rounds of future MTT's just play tight, if the blind structure allows.This will allow time for most of the fishy type players to get knocked out and hopefully cut down on the outdraws and thus allow you to play your normal game in the later stages of the tourny