You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU Hyper - Shoving too wide?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I know this player is good and is well aware of correct shoving/calling ranges.

Is this shove fine?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   20.00 20.00 620.00
XXX Big blind   40.00 60.00 320.00
  Your hole cards

Lambert180 All-in   620.00 680.00 0.00
XXX All-in   320.00 1000.00 0.00
Lambert180 Unmatched bet   280.00 720.00 280.00
Lambert180 Show

XXX Show
  • K

Flop

• K

Turn

River

• A

XXX Win Pair of Kings 720.00   720.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I don't know, probably not
  • edited June 2012
    I'm going to say not with the hand and blind level. To much risk for to little reward for me, but hey others may disagree. I mean its close to odds against his possible range, but not sure I'd go for it on this hand.

EDIT: just did the maths on it. Versus any random hand you will be about 45%, and so think maybe slightly better hand, but guess its close for your question on if he folds or calls, and thats hard to add a percentage to how light he calls.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm really not sure, because this opponent, will probably know my ranges and will call with any Ax, and Kx and probably most Qxs (as well as obviously PPs and genuine hands).

I still think I have some FE here though and am more than likely gonna be 40% if he calls anyway.

He has 8BB and at these blinds levels, I'd say the risk/reward is pretty decent.
  • edited June 2012
    1 good thing about this shove u will be live i dont hate but its not summit i would do at this stage 
  • edited June 2012
    I might stove it against what I think his calling range would be but he's calling with any PP, so I'm flipping against 22-66, obviously crushed by 77+ and 40/60 against most of his calling range, and I think he's definitely gonna have a hand he folds at least (if not more) than 1in4 times (25%), so I think it's a close one.

I think it's probably +EV but it's a close one and maybe an unnecessary spot if I wanna lower the variance.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't think there's really much choice. If you fold, he gets an extra 1.5BB and probably shoves the next hand with any two. If you fold there you've effectively ceded 3BB to him and he only started this hand with 9BB.

HU turbo's are so high variance that it's incredibly difficult to beat the rake long-term. You need to have a really big edge on your opponents.

If you want to play skilful HU poker, then you've got to start deeper than 25BB. This is all going to be about pure aggression in position and getting your calling ranges right. Getting it in here, as long as he folds anything less than a strong queen, is going to be a +ev play in the long-term. You're too shallow to fold or call, in my opinion.

If you give him a double-up, at least you've still got 7BB back. That's the advantage that your edge has given you. Basically you've earned yourself this shot at him.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide?:
    I might stove it against what I think his calling range would be but he's calling with any PP, so I'm flipping against 22-66, obviously crushed by 77+ and 40/60 against most of his calling range, and I think he's definitely gonna have a hand he folds at least (if not more) than 1in4 times (25%), so I think it's a close one. I think it's probably +EV but it's a close one and maybe an unnecessary spot if I wanna lower the variance.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This is good thinking in a regular HU game... but there are only 25BB in play here. You can't lower the variance because every time you fold the button you're effectively letting 12% of the average stack just slip away. You can't afford to wait for a hand.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't think there's really much choice. If you fold, he gets an extra 1.5BB and probably shoves the next hand with any two. If you fold there you've effectively ceded 3BB to him and he only started this hand with 9BB. HU turbo's are so high variance that it's incredibly difficult to beat the rake long-term. You need to have a really big edge on your opponents. If you want to play skilful HU poker, then you've got to start deeper than 25BB. This is all going to be about pure aggression in position and getting your calling ranges right. Getting it in here, as long as he folds anything less than a strong queen, is going to be a +ev play in the long-term. You're too shallow to fold or call, in my opinion. If you give him a double-up, at least you've still got 7BB back. That's the advantage that your edge has given you. Basically you've earned yourself this shot at him.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I looked at this thread earlier, and was unsure. I dunno if that's because I'm doing rubbish @ these lately or because I was never really any good in the first place, and I just ran good.

When I was winning, I'd jam.

I've been jamming still, haven't really changed my game, now I'm losing.

In conclusion, I like the bolded bit of borinloners post. 

What else can we do?

Time to do some reading Dohhhhh. 

Maybe people have begun to adjust and are calling wider. Tsnot good though :(
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : I looked at this thread earlier, and was unsure. I dunno if that's because I'm doing rubbish @ these lately or because I was never really any good in the first place, and I just ran good. When I was winning, I'd jam. I've been jamming still, haven't really changed my game, now I'm losing. In conclusion, I like the bolded bit of borinloners post.  What else can we do? Time to do some reading Dohhhhh.  Maybe people have begun to adjust and are calling wider. Tsnot good though :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Play deeper. Use your skill edge by playing deeper: That's what else you can do.
  • edited June 2012
    There's ample edge in these games to show a healthy ROI over a large sample even at a ridic 5% rake. 

No point saying "play a different game" in the middle of a thread like this.

Not even that short here, when I played normal turbos we were 9xbb effective in a high % of games.

The more I look at it, the more I like the shove. Get there :P
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : Play deeper. Use your skill edge by playing deeper: That's what else you can do.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Surely a 2% ROI at hypers is better than a 4% ROI at turbos, when you can play 3 games in the time it takes to play 1.

Obviously them percentages are pure guesswork thrown out there, but the general principal is there.

I think 5% ROI at hypers is VERY acheivable, but I wouldn't fancy trying to keep up 15% ROI at turbos.
  • edited June 2012
    There's ample edge in these games to show a healthy ROI over a large sample even at a ridic 5% rake.  No point saying "play a different game" in the middle of a thread like this. Not even that short here, when I played normal turbos we were 9xbb effective in a high % of games. The more I look at it, the more I like the shove. Get there :P
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah I do like the shove but it was more aimed at whether I should be adjusting to good players. For instance, that's 100% shove against alot of players cos I know even with 8BB they will fold hands as strong as QT, K8 etc but against this guy that I know will call wide, is it still ok?

I guess it is.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : Yeah I do like the shove but it was more aimed at whether I should be adjusting to good players. For instance, that's 100% shove against alot of players cos I know even with 8BB they will fold hands as strong as QT, K8 etc but against this guy that I know will call wide, is it still ok? I guess it is.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I can't see good players folding QT or K8 here unless they think you're bad/terrible!

• edited June 2012
    There's ample edge in these games to show a healthy ROI over a large sample even at a ridic 5% rake.  No point saying "play a different game" in the middle of a thread like this. Not even that short here, when I played normal turbos we were 9xbb effective in a high % of games. The more I look at it, the more I like the shove. Get there :P
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm sure you can beat the rake in these games, actually. Mainly because there's bound to be alot players who play way, way too tight: Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, you know the type.

My problem with these is simply that you're so short that your edge is always going to be small and you'll never play a river, hardly play a turn and only play the flop in the first two or three levels. That means your edge against even a bad but aggro player is going to be virtually nil and variance will be king.

If you think you're a good player, then I don't see the value in playing these. If you're not getting enough action in a regular HU game, then open another table. The point in saying "play a different game" is that I think there's much greater profitability in playing deeper for those players that have a decent amount of ability.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : I'm sure you can beat the rake in these games, actually. Mainly because there's bound to be alot players who play way, way too tight: Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, you know the type. My problem with these is simply that you're so short that your edge is always going to be small and you'll never play a river, hardly play a turn and only play the flop in the first two or three levels. That means your edge against even a bad but aggro player is going to be virtually nil and variance will be king. If you think you're a good player, then I don't see the value in playing these. If you're not getting enough action in a regular HU game, then open another table. The point in saying "play a different game" is that I think there's much greater profitability in playing deeper for those players that have a decent amount of ability.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Sorry but I think there's plenty more play in them than people think. There's definitely room to play a flop in alot of levels, and in 10/20, 15/30, there's easily play til the river.

On the subject of profitability, you should have a peek at some of the most profitable players on SS and you'll see there's a fair few Hyper players in there.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : I can't see good players folding QT or K8 here unless they think you're bad/terrible!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That's my point, good players would never fold them kinda hands, but I know some terrible players that will (which is obviously what I want), so I didn't know if I should adjust cos I know this player aint terrible.

I had one guy the other night I had about a 600 v 400 lead, and shoved into him and he said he folded AQ cos he thought I had a PP and didn't wanna flip. Obviously you dunno if you can believe everything people say at the table but if that's true, it's pretty awful.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : Yeah I do like the shove but it was more aimed at whether I should be adjusting to good players. For instance, that's 100% shove against alot of players cos I know even with 8BB they will fold hands as strong as QT, K8 etc but against this guy that I know will call wide, is it still ok? I guess it is.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This shallow, there's no way they should fold QT or Kx. They will however fold 23, 46, T2, etc, and you'll be only a small underdog against the majority of their calling range.

The biggest reason to shove here is that you should expect your opponent to do the same on his button. At some stage one of you will pick up a hand to call with and then variance will decide who wins. The advantage you have now is that you have 7BB more back if you lose. That's the advantage you can't afford to give up by folding in this spot.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : This shallow, there's no way they should fold QT or Kx. They will however fold 23, 46, T2, etc, and you'll be only a small underdog against the majority of their calling range. The biggest reason to shove here is that you should expect your opponent to do the same on his button. At some stage one of you will pick up a ahnd to call with and then variance will decide who wins. The advantage you have now is that you have 7BB more back if you lose. That's the advantage you can't afford to give up by folding in this spot.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I know they shouldn't, you don't have to tell me, but they do lol.
  • edited June 2012
    How many of these games do you think need to be played before you get a fair representation of ROI? I think it would take thousands of game to prove if you are a winning player or not. I tried playing the 6-max hypers and concluded that I wouldn't be able to hand 150+ buy-in swings and quite when my ROI reached 0.

I think shove by the way.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: HU Hyper - Shoving too wide? : Sorry but I think there's plenty more play in them than people think. There's definitely room to play a flop in alot of levels, and in 10/20, 15/30, there's easily play til the river. On the subject of profitability, you should have a peek at some of the most profitable players on SS and you'll see there's a fair few Hyper players in there.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I don't agree with this. Let's take this blind level as an example and say we start the hand dead even:

BorinLoner (480) on the button raises to 80.
    Lambert180 (460) in the BB.... What are you going to do?

Are you going to call, to play a pot of 160 out of position with a stack of 420? If you 3-bet, you can't fold to a shove and I can't simply call any reasonable 3-bet.

I think you can only see a flop with these blind levels against really bad players: Players who limp the button or call a raise OOP.
    I'm sure there are alot of bad players at this level and you probably can make a little bit of money. I just don't think that a) playing these is going to improve your game or b) you'll make as much money playing these as you would playing a deeper structure. I don't know how many fish there are at this level, although I assume it's quite a high number, lol. I just don't want to rely on finding really bad players to make money. I want to be able to make money out of the regular bad players too.
  • edited June 2012
    How many of these games do you think need to be played before you get a fair representation of ROI? I think it would take thousands of game to prove if you are a winning player or not. I tried playing the 6-max hypers and concluded that I wouldn't be able to hand 150+ buy-in swings and quite when my ROI reached 0. I think shove by the way.
    Posted by jugglegeek

JJ was telling me about them 6max Hypers, never give them a go before.

Well the more you play, the more accurate it'll be and obviously over time your skill level in comparison to the player pool will probably change anyway, whether it be for the better or the worse.

But I'd imagine if you're a winner over 1000+ games, it's likely to not be just positive variance. Obviously you need to assess yourself, if you win 10 games out of 10 in one session but that's because you shoved 72 into AA and won, obviously you know that aint gonna last, but you can see if you're capable of completely outplaying your opponents.

Also 1000 games aint that much with how fast they are, I'm playing at least 1000 this month for the challenge with Doh but I think I could easy play 2000-3000 per month.
  • edited June 2012
    I see what you're saying completely BorinLoner, although it's fairly rare to get people regularly 4xing unless they're awful. Most people limp or min-raise, in which case you can 3bet/raise and still be able to fold to a 4bet/3bet.

Also if you min-raise to 40, get a call, there's 80 in the pot, you both have 400+ behind, so with 5 times the amount behind there is definitely room for error, and where there's room for error, there's room to exploit it.
  • edited June 2012
    I see what you're saying completely BorinLoner, although it's fairly rare to get people regularly 4xing unless they're awful. Most people limp or min-raise, in which case you can 3bet/raise and still be able to fold to a 4bet/3bet. Also if you min-raise to 40, get a call, there's 80 in the pot, you both have 400+ behind, so with 5 times the amount behind there is definitely room for error, and where there's room for error, there's room to exploit it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I was actually using the 20/40 blind level as in the posted hand, so my raise to 80 would have been a min-raise... I'm sure you can see the flop at 10/20, though you shouldn't see many rivers even at that blind level.
  • edited June 2012
    I palyed this hand hand 30 seconds ago, I saw a river :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind   10.00 10.00 470.00
    X Big blind   20.00 30.00 500.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

Lambert180 Raise   30.00 60.00 440.00
    X Call   20.00 80.00 480.00
    Flop

• K

X Bet   80.00 160.00 400.00
    Lambert180 Call   80.00 240.00 360.00
    Turn

• A

X Bet   20.00 260.00 380.00
    Lambert180 Call   20.00 280.00 340.00
    River

• K

X All-in   380.00 660.00 0.00
    Lambert180 All-in   340.00 1000.00 0.00
    X Unmatched bet   40.00 960.00 40.00
    Lambert180 Show
    • K

X Show

Lambert180 Win Three Kings 960.00   960.00
  • edited June 2012
    Again, that's against a clearly bad player. What's his bet on the turn meant to do?... and his call pre-flop... and his full-pot donk on the flop... and his shove on the river... 

Do me a favour and blank out his name. I don't want people to see me calling someone else bad. I don't want him to see it either. That is bad, though.
  • edited June 2012
    I've removed their name now cos it is embarrassing and a bit unfair to them, I was gonna remove the name originally but just couldn't be bothered lol.

My point is that at £5 games which is relatively decent stakes considering you could easily go on a +/- £50 swing very quickly, there are still plenty of shockingly bad players like this.