You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tips for playing Bounty Hunters

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Evenin' all,

Lately I've been playing of DYM's with reasonable success but these games can become boring/repetitive after a while so I've been playing some Bounty Hunter tournemants.

I've played standard guaranteed tournemants as well and have cashed a few times but I just can't seem to get the hand of Bounty Hunters. I've tried playing super tight which has got me near the bubble but rarely do I collect only bounties in doing this. I've just tried two games, one at a 2.25 stake and one at 11 and I thought I'd loosen up (start playing suited connectors etc.). But preflop everytime I raised I was getting 3 or 4 callers, regardless of my position.

In the last game I raised 4xBB with KJ, 3 people called. The flop comes K74, rainbow. A guy bets half my stack, so I reraise all-in to which he calls and he's got 74.

Now looking back I know I should have been more wary of his bet but I'd been playing for over an hour and it was the first hand I had hit. It was so frustrating.

In conclusion, what's the best way of going about playing Bounty Hunters?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    To be honest I don't  much change my MTT style fo bounty hunters, though I may include the bounty some what in my pot odds calculations if facing a shove/call situation. Other than that I play my normal game and the bounties come when they come. If you win the thing you'll get plenty anyway. I will definately get all my chips in with big hands more in bounty hunters if I have a good hand though as you'll get called light more often in them, certainly in early stages. IE AA or KK i'd not even bother raising pre early on but just shove and expect at least one caller.
  • edited June 2012
    Leave your fold equity at the door and call any raise with any two cards to get dem bounties! That's what everyones else does.
  • edited June 2012
    tight at the start

further in you can widen your ranges, as most will be calling/shoving lighter just because of the bounties

some people just go mad for a bounty ! You do actually come across some mental people early on shoving with QJs and what not !
  • edited June 2012

you starting stacks not that high so its fold or shove asap as soon as your getting short stacked your getting called with anything.
    forget your in a mtt and just go for bounties the payouts for cashing dont make playing tight profitable in the long run.

• edited June 2012
    Hi fella

You will find different strategies in BH's. Some are maniacs and will call/shove with just about anything once they've had their initial double up. You can play for a long time and cash thinly without the bounties.
    I did read a way of including the bounties in terms of chip equity a while ago which made good sense but that assumes players are playing optimally which just isn't the case in BH's.
    If i were you. i'd play tight early and then start to play once the 'maddies' have had their fun. Cheers....
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys. I might play another BH later, if I do I'll post how it goes!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Tips for playing Bounty Hunters:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I might play another BH later, if I do I'll post how it goes!
    Posted by 21001284
    I did play another BH in the end, 5er buy in. On the 2nd blind level had 3 limpers in front of my so i shoved with KK, called by A6 suited and he went on to hit the flush. I was seriously frustrated at the time but I got all me chips in with the best hand so I'm guessing it'll work out in the long run!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Tips for playing Bounty Hunters:
    In Response to Re: Tips for playing Bounty Hunters : I did play another BH in the end, 5er buy in. On the 2nd blind level had 3 limpers in front of my so i shoved with KK, called by A6 suited and he went on to hit the flush. I was seriously frustrated at the time but I got all me chips in with the best hand so I'm guessing it'll work out in the long run!
    Posted by 21001284
    Yeah never worth being frustrated. YOu got someone to call with a really bad hand and he got lucky. It happens, and long as you keep getting people to put it in bad you'll be fine long run. Just got to wait for the day variance don't take a bite out of you.