You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play pocket Qs?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I have been dealt pocket Qs at least half a dozen times in the past two days and lost all or most of my stack each time. I bet fairly heavy pre flop (between 4 and 7 times the blind, normally at 50p/£1 stakes). I have been called or re-raised each time. When I'm re-raised, I re-raise or shove. When I'm called I put a continuation bet in of at least half the pot to guage my opponents hand. Obviously if an A or K comes on the flop I am weary but still test my opponents hand. Am I playing these right ???

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Im sure TommyD will help you with this one mate aslong as Greghogg isnt at the table ofc :)
  • edited June 2012
    Is this a serious question? Hard to say if it is without seeing the full hand history of the hand to say if it was a flaw in how you played it or if it was just a case of the hand going against you. However, if this is just you looking at a tiny sample of QQ hands and worrying about them losing then forget about it. Your QQ is going to hold up and win at least 80% of the time. It's just going with the variance that sometimes those odds will run slightly worse or better.

Hell, so far this month I've not had time to do much play, but have played 3,000 hands, had QQ 11 times and won 100% of the time with it. That stat won't be the same come the end of the month I'm sure though, and will have come down to a more reasonable 80-90% i'm sure.

Generally speaking you should be happy to get it all in preflop with QQ though if the question is serious. If a bad flop then of course if resistance then let them go. :)
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to How do you play pocket Qs?:
    I have been dealt pocket Qs at least half a dozen times in the past two days and lost all or most of my stack each time. I bet fairly heavy pre flop (between 4 and 7 times the blind, normally at 50p/£1 stakes). I have been called or re-raised each time. When I'm re-raised, I re-raise or shove. When I'm called I put a continuation bet in of at least half the pot to guage my opponents hand. Obviously if an A or K comes on the flop I am weary but still test my opponents hand. Am I playing these right ???
    Posted by danno558
    I'm a little concerned by this. I don't know how experienced you are but at this level you're going to be coming up against some of the best players on the site. If you open for 4BB-7BB with QQ, then you really need to be opening for the same amount with your other hands. If I said the phrase "Balancing your range" would you know what I mean? I'm not being patronising but at these levels, if you're not an experienced player, you can lose alot of money in a very short time. If you're not very experienced then it's important to acknowledge that.

If you are an experienced player then I'd be interested to hear your reasons for opening for this amount. It isn't typical to open for 7BB.
  • edited June 2012
    if your playing 50/1 then you shouldn't be asking this question :)