You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is a fold right in the long run?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Constantly seem to be losing money when it gets round to blind on blind so much so that i generally fold the sb without an ace or a pp. Hit big here but forced to fold i feel was it correct?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
chandler68 Sit out        
jams88 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £10.96
UareLIMPER Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £10.31
  Your hole cards
  • A

shove1t Fold        
reeder1908 Fold        
jams88 Raise   £0.25 £0.40 £10.71
UareLIMPER Call   £0.20 £0.60 £10.11
Flop

• A

jams88 Bet   £0.50 £1.10 £10.21
UareLIMPER Call   £0.50 £1.60 £9.61
Turn

jams88 Bet   £1.00 £2.60 £9.21
UareLIMPER Raise   £2.65 £5.25 £6.96
jams88 Call   £1.65 £6.90 £7.56
River

jams88 Check        
UareLIMPER All-in   £6.96 £13.86 £0.00
jams88 Fold        
UareLIMPER Show

UareLIMPER Win   £6.38   £6.38
UareLIMPER Return   £6.96 £0.52 £13.34

Comments

• edited June 2012
    There's certainly worse hands to be playing BvB as long as you know what you're doing preflop.

Flop bet is good, leading out on the turn is ok, but when you get raised, if you call the raise, then you kinda have to call a blank river like 9c.

If he raises the turn, he's almost certain to bet to river, so think ahead and if you don't intend to call the river, you should probably fold to the raise on the turn.

Definitely put a note on this person, love it when people show when they don't need to.
  • edited June 2012
    depends on reads

readless yeah it's an easy fold
  • edited June 2012
    I think calling the turn raise is ok

some players have a go on the turn and try to win the pot - villain might even be raising with a worse 2p but then usually they will slow down on the river
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Is a fold right in the long run?:
    I think calling the turn raise is ok some players have a go on the turn and try to win the pot - villain might even be raising with a worse 2p but then usually they will slow down on the river
    Posted by percival09
    i was hoping for this + the outside chance i hit a house. After the hand though began to 2nd guess folding the turn to the raise though

Couldnt work out if he showed the hand because he thought he was good or if he knew he was bluffing lol
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah it's a weird bluff
  • edited June 2012
    I agree with Lambert180. I think when we call the turn, intending to fold to a river bet, we're basically hoping that he won't bet. I don't think hoping makes for a good plan, especially out of position. He'll see your check on the river and if he was bluffing the turn he'll make a pretty easy shove, thinking he can push you off an Ace on a board like this.

It's quite similar to another hand in the clinic. Again, the decision is on the turn because so little changed on the river. When you make your decision on the turn, you need to know what you'll do facing another bet on the river. It's especially true here, since the opponent has left himself almost exactly a pot-bet back. Once you check the river, it's more likely than not that he'll shove. In fact, the only hands that are really unlikely to shove are 45, A2, Ax, etc. Hands that we beat and are therefore losing value from.

I don't think it's particularly likely that, on this board, our opponent has a made straight. That would require him to have called pre-flop and on the flop with a 3. It's possible but unlikely. When we go heads-up to a flop, it's also fairly unlikely that our opponent has a made flush with just three of one suit on the board.

If I was playing this hand, I would either call the raise on the turn, intending to snap-call a shove on a blank river or I would 3-bet the turn myself to try to get value from the various draws, two-pairs and Aces out there. On the turn I would be reasonably confident that my hand was best. It's just a question of whether I want to give him another chance to bet the river as a bluff or do I think I get more value by 3-betting and offering him the chance to call with his draws and weaker made-hands? So getting it in without letting a scare card come on the river.

Given those options, I'd probably try to get it in on the turn... I couldn't fold this hand if I was you after the river blanks.

As for whether he thought he was bluffing when he showed: If he's a thinking player, I expect he would have put you squarely on that Ace and knew that he was representing alot of hands that beat an Ace.

EDIT: That doesn't explain why he showed, of course. I guess he wanted to tilt you... or just show off. Dunno.
  • edited June 2012
    In this spot I likely shove the turn. Good chance blind on blind he is just repping the flush, and if I'm playing the hand in frist place I'm not often folding 2 pair, and if I shove turn it puts him to the choice rather than me, and if he does have a set or even the flush at least I have outs to straight flush, straight or fullhouse. Whatever he has, a shove will put him in a tough spot given the board, as it did with his reraise to you.
  • edited June 2012
    Why shove turn if you think he's bluffin? It may put him in a tough spot, but he never raise/folds better. Shove for value may be ok, I prob wouldn't though

Fold turn or call river readless

Don't show results