You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Facing a shove from Mr Hogg

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
From the Saturday night Mini Super BHer

Simple question, call or fold?  Villain has requested their name be left in, it's all round funster, GregHogg.  Other note was that at this time I was on for the jackpot, and Greg does know this.  I was 15/40ish in main and 3/19ish in mini I think, around those points.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Shafty91 Small blind  1500.00 1500.00 50340.00
TommyD Big blind  3000.00 4500.00 109527.50
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

GREGHOGG Raise  6000.00 10500.00 50026.70
timmyl All-in  6409.97 16909.97 0.00
bigbear143 Fold     
geoff28 Call  6409.97 23319.94 62722.53
Shafty91 Fold     
TommyD Raise  15000.00 38319.94 94527.50
GREGHOGG All-in  50026.70 88346.64 0.00
geoff28 Fold     
TommyD  

Comments

• edited June 2012

no reads on villain? :)

jackpot situation is irrelevant from my point of view in this hand fwiw. but you were not to know this.

• edited June 2012
    It's funny, this is almost the exact same situation I was in the other night...

I was 'Gregghogg', min-raised UTG to 1200, 1 flat call, villian makes it 4500, I re-jam for abuot 10k and he considers folding, lets the timebar go all the way down (and tells me he hated calling) and calls with QQ.

Sadly I had the 1 hand in my range where I would make that move where he wasn't crushed or flipping (JJ). I found it impressive he considered folding but it was only ever gonna be JJ+ or AK.

Tough one but I just can't fold QQ.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Facing a shove from Mr Hogg:
    no reads on villain?:) jackpot situation is irrelevant from my point of view in this hand fwiw. but you were not to know this.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Being the legend at the tables that you are i decided to omit reads on this occasion.  But here goes.

Do you remember those wind up cars you roll back about twenty times and then let go to see it shoot off.  Those are my reads on Greg.

Tight, tighter, tighter, tighter, tightest annnnnnnnnd 4Bet jam J3 (ask him about his J3 hand at the tables, he loves it).

In seriousness, good solid player, on the tighter side with the occasional spew.  We have a ton of history and a non believing dynamic.
  • edited June 2012
    Are you allowed to 3b/fold QQ? 

I don't understand these unwritten 3betting rules.

If we fold does it mean we're admitting we've failed in our attempt to make him fold KK/AA/AK?

• edited June 2012
    Are you allowed to 3b/fold QQ?  I don't understand these unwritten 3betting rules. If we fold does it mean we're admitting we've failed in our attempt to make him fold KK/AA/AK?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No, it means we've failed to iso the shorty and the passive flatter.  Are you suggesting flatting and taking it four way to a flop with QQ?

Call it a merge bet.  I'm trying to get value/info from Greg, value from the flatter and cutting down the field versus the shorty.
  • edited June 2012
    My only experience with GregHogg comes from forum games. I'm guessing he doesn't play his normal game in those unless he regularly calls a 4-bet shove with 23...

Seriously, I call. I'm not even considering the jackpot when it's 40 runners and 19 runners. That's the last thing on my mind. I'm sure it was only a minor consideration for you too.

In the hand, I would think that your raise to isolate wouldn't be necessarily seen as massive strength by a fairly good player, such as GregHogg is rumoured to be. Meaning he could still be shoving with a reasonably wide range. These hand histories still confuse me a little, but it appears you've got to call about 38k to win 88k? If that's right, then I don't think you can fold...
  • edited June 2012
    I'd 3b and get it in, wudnt 3b/fold.

That or set mine/trap multi way I spose. (hate this option, but it's the 2nd best available imo)

Raise call >>>>>>>>>>>>>> (x100) flat pre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (x 100,000) raise fold ? 

I'm confused, hopefully I'll learn more from this thread than I can contribute, look forward to your explanation later on.
  • edited June 2012
    not folding this
  • edited June 2012
    I'm not folding this vs effective stack
  • edited June 2012
    Ok, maybe this will change things.

Confession time, I made a schoolboy error in this hand.  I was so engrossed elsewhere that I missed Greg's first bet, the button, position and everything.  For some reason when I saw the shove I thought he was in the BB, and that this was a cold 4bet shove.  Very bad error I know, total lapse in concentration.  In fact I only realised this was the case when I put this HH up.  I suck so bad.

Assuming what I thought happened, happened, does this change things?
  • edited June 2012
    Ok, maybe this will change things. Confession time, I made a schoolboy error in this hand.  I was so engrossed elsewhere that I missed Greg's first bet, the button, position and everything.  For some reason when I saw the shove I thought he was in the BB, and that this was a cold 4bet shove.  Very bad error I know, total lapse in concentration.  In fact I only realised this was the case when I put this HH up.  I suck so bad. Assuming what I thought happened, happened, does this change things?
    Posted by TommyD
    Tommy, you donk. lol

A cold 4-bet shove? No, I probably still call. The pot odds are too inviting and your iso-raise still doesn't look super-strong. In fact your iso-raise probably looks weaker so he could be shoving on you with a wider range.

EDIT: By that wider range, I'm thinking perhaps as low as AT, KQ. Not sure about Gregs perception of you, of course. If I was in Gregs seat in this imaginary scenario where I'm yet to act, I might think you could be 3-betting with any pocket pair, any Ace, any decent King in order to isolate the short stack who's already all-in.
  • edited June 2012
    I'd probably just 3bet shove tbh.

As played, I probably call it off and hope he's got AK or an underpair.
  • edited June 2012
    No brainer for me. Instant call really. We have him covered and getting nearly 3:1 pot odds to call. A fold with QQ would be a bit criminal i think all in all with that said, even if we are beat. Thats my view on it anyway.
  • edited June 2012

I'm assuming the very fact you mentioned the Jackpot that it may have been "in the back of your mind"?  To miss the action like that I'm guessing it wasn't a major factor tho? I assume you'd play it like everyone suggests?  
    My offering....
    I love reading these HH from the big players and the replies they get from a learning perspective.  When I read the first post my INITIAL reaction from a player at my level (and given the jackpot) was I can find a fold here.   I KNOW that to progress in a tourney like this you have to forget about the cash/prize and forget laddering.  HOWEVER, I can't see Greg doing this with anything less than KK/AA.  I've not played against him often and I obvs don't know him as well as you.  Just my 2p.

• edited June 2012

Your only in the mini for the win bonus taking that into effect im folding here you have enough behind not to be putting QQ into a race for half your stack.
    without going for the bonus im calling but being in a strongish position in both BHs has got to effect your decision.

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Facing a shove from Mr Hogg : Tommy, you donk. lol A cold 4-bet shove? No, I probably still call. The pot odds are too inviting and your iso-raise still doesn't look super-strong. In fact your iso-raise probably looks weaker so he could be shoving on you with a wider range. EDIT: By that wider range, I'm thinking perhaps as low as AT, KQ. Not sure about Gregs perception of you, of course. If I was in Gregs seat in this imaginary scenario where I'm yet to act, I might think you could be 3-betting with any pocket pair, any Ace, any decent King in order to isolate the short stack who's already all-in.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    not sure id go that low, but without giving anything away, i do certainly have other hands in my range... im not AA or KK here all the time..

my perception of tommy, well, hes very good! (certainly a better player than i am) you are right to assume that i am suspicious of his isolation play (im always suspicious of every bet he makes, but when i call him down, 9/10 he has it!!!  but i dont disrepect his isolation bet at all... i would also estimate that a higher than average time he calls me down i have it also! its a strange dynamic!

in this particular hand, im never flat calling his bet, im either in or out, and i think he knows this... so the only way to get value from me is to call me off if he perceives that he has the best hand...
  • edited June 2012
    What's greggs UTG opening range with with 18bb?  Is he min raise all his range? or will he open jam or 2.2/3x some of his range?
    The prob is your image, you will squeeze with a wide range.  Both situations (cold 4 bet and the real one) gregg could jam with 88+ A,10+ thinking you will fold.
    I think we have to call based on your squeeze happy image.  
  • edited June 2012
    You have the 3rd possible best starting hand and double his chips, I couldn't fold here.

Saying that I have been running into king and aces lately ;)
  • edited June 2012
    I think the error comes from the initial 3 bet to 15000. I'd just have shoved or 3 bet with the intention of calling a shove, you can't 3 bet fold QQ in this instance imo
  • edited June 2012

I'd definitely call. 38k to win 88k with 3rd best starting hand, adding around 63k to my starting stack. To win Jackpot don't you have to win mini tounament? I'd shove but still be crossing my fingers and shutting my eyes a bit.

What did you do and why? 

• edited June 2012
    All-in for me Tommy....and lave it to the poker gods

Mind this is coming from the person who earlier tonight raisedin DTD forum with QQ to be called by bb...flop T 8 5 rainbow. Bet, raise, all-in, call.....yes he had TT...........kick the cat time!!!!!

I was out of all three tourneys from relatively strong positions within seven hands from that moment. Life goes on....sigh!!
  • edited June 2012