You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i have raised the flop?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
hullafc8 Small blind   30.00 30.00 5332.50
ferris07 Big blind   60.00 90.00 10172.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Magicalman Fold        
VespaPX Raise   240.00 330.00 4442.50
DEN4 Fold        
steelrod Fold        
hullafc8 Fold        
ferris07 Call   180.00 510.00 9992.50
Flop

• Q
  • Q

ferris07 Bet   60.00 570.00 9932.50
VespaPX Call   60.00 630.00 4382.50
Turn

ferris07 Bet   60.00 690.00 9872.50
VespaPX Raise   435.00 1125.00 3947.50
ferris07 Call   375.00 1500.00 9497.50
River

ferris07 Bet   1500.00 3000.00 7997.50
VespaPX All-in   3947.50 6947.50 0.00
ferris07 Call   2447.50 9395.00 5550.00
ferris07 Show

VespaPX Show
  • K
  • K

ferris07 Win Full House, 3s and Queens 9395.00   14945.00

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Just a cooler vs spewbox
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Should i have raised the flop?:
    Just a cooler vs spewbox
    Posted by AMYBR
    Thats my feelings exactly but hey-ho theres another day.
    Managed to final table the other D/S in the DTD so not a bad night.
  • edited June 2012
    I think i'd raise a hefty amount on the flop to "allow me to see where i am". I've put this term in brackets as when i put it in a post read out on a programme i was pilloried. But if its good enough for Carlo then its good enough for me!
  • edited June 2012
    I think i'd raise a hefty amount on the flop to "allow me to see where i am". I've put this term in brackets as when i put it in a post read out on a programme i was pilloried. But if its good enough for Carlo then its good enough for me!
    Posted by profman15
    Cheers Profman
    I agree , but i reckon if i had raised flop villain would have probably called anyway with same outcome.
    Grammar looks fine to me ! :-)
  • edited June 2012
    Yes I'd have raised the flop, as honestly his hand smacks of a PP of some kind and a small one most likely, or a diamond draw that he is trying to put silly size blocker bets to hope to see streets cheaply.

As played though I'm not sure I shove the river. Guy has donk lead for 60 on two streets and called turn reraise. When he suddenly leads out for pot on the river he really either has a big hand or a missed draw and trying to bluff at it. I'm normally more likely to credit this type of player with a hand just because of the way he played it. People that play that poorly rarely sudden go for huge river bluffs if all they can manage prior to that is min donk bets. Think unless I got notes on him I call this one time as at least if I'm right and he has a hand I still got chips enough to get back into it.

Might seem weak, but just don't love it when someone fairly poor suddenly get aggresive.
  • edited June 2012
    Yes I'd have raised the flop, as honestly his hand smacks of a PP of some kind and a small one most likely, or a diamond draw that he is trying to put silly size blocker bets to hope to see streets cheaply. As played though I'm not sure I shove the river. Guy has donk lead for 60 on two streets and called turn reraise. When he suddenly leads out for pot on the river he really either has a big hand or a missed draw and trying to bluff at it. I'm normally more likely to credit this type of player with a hand just because of the way he played it. People that play that poorly rarely sudden go for huge river bluffs if all they can manage prior to that is min donk bets. Think unless I got notes on him I call this one time as at least if I'm right and he has a hand I still got chips enough to get back into it. Might seem weak, but just don't love it when someone fairly poor suddenly get aggresive.
    Posted by KAM99
    Thanks Kam,
    Learning all the time and these replies certainly help.
    Cheers
    Mick
  • edited June 2012
    if you raise the flop, you're raising for value and not to find out where you are right?

tbh i think flatting the flop is ok, seems nitty but it depends on reads. vs spewy fish i probz raise because its likely he'll get it in with worse

I'd raise more on the turn but I think the play is ok

i'd probz bet smaller on the river so i can maybe fold to a shove
  • edited June 2012
    Only reason we would raise flop is if we rarely put oppo on a Q & believe we can get some Diamond/str8 draw combis to come along.

Also only if we would infact raise a Q if we held one (& can lvl oppo into still coming along), as we mostly say we dont have one by raising flop.  We just have to play hand as though he has checked rather than min psycho donked out.

Problem with raising flop is he may well peel one more street with the exact (likely better) hand he holds.  But will just shut it down on virtually all turns, our then bloated turn vb's forcing out most of the hands we want to play against.

If we think he spews along with some weird 89d thu AJo I may raise flop.  But flatting to rep/manage pot size/c/c is fine also. 

Taking his turn min donk out as a check again the raise is spot on.  Guy hits a two outer after pot is bloated.  What can you do?  No reason to ship river though really, we basically have a bluff catcher.  Call or fold.
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks guys duly noted and taken on board.