You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP!!

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
First of all hi to everyone at sky poker, im glad i found your site!! i am relatively new to poker. i have been playing on and off for around a year now and dont seem to be getting anywhere. What would your number one tip be for someone like myself (books, dvds, advise) anthing will be brilliant. i know different people will have different views. But i will hopefully will be able to take some of what use say and put it in to my game. Thanks everybody. P.S your set up is brilliant thanks a lot Tom.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well, if you are new then you just need to be learning as much as you can from every source. Be that videos, books, forums like this, or from playing often, as that will often be the best learning  method combined with the others. Just be aware that an education can cost, so expect to pay for the knowledge at the tables, as lessons seldom come free and you will be playing against people often with lots more experience.

When things go wrong with a hand, post the hand on here and get advise on it and listen and take what is said to heart. The most common early mistakes new players make is hand selection and use of postion. So first area I would work on is your preflop play. IE what hands are good to be playing from what postions, and how you should consider playing them and when you should be folding them.

Also, different styles of poker take different skill sets, or styles of play. So you can see different things needed in cash (ring games), SnG (sit and go) or MTT (multi table tournament). So pick one to start with maybe, and I would suggest trying SnG to start with as you pay a fixed price for a reasonble time of play where as cash you can end up paying a lot in a short space of time if your game is weaker than those you sit with. :)