You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

early on in sit and go's with high pockets

Its happened a couple of times now when I've got pocket Q's K's or A's and I raise 3x the big blind and everyone folds. Shall I slow play these hands hoping to hit or keep raising and hope someone calls knowing my hand is best.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    For me Its only worth it when the blinds are about 75 / 150, earlier on I try and build up slowly or even loose a bit
  • edited November 2009
    I'd rather put a 5 or 6 times bb raise in and just take the blinds early.

You will usually get multiple callers with aces and a 3 x bb raise at level one.

I'd much rather see em at level 6 when your choice is push or fold.

At the micro levels, I sometimes even push all in with them pre flop. It's amazing how often you get a caller as they think it is a wild buy of the blinds.
  • edited November 2009
    It depends on your position.

In early position, Im more than happy to go 3 x bb with these hands, if everyone folds then so be it, however if i only min raise or just limp then too many others can enter pot cheaply and outdraw me. At the end of the day in early position id rather win some chips than lose some.

In late position when less players to act after you, you can get away with a min raise or a limp.

Yes it can be annoying when you win nothing but the blinds with a premium hand, but its still a better feeling than having a premium hand that gets beaten by being outdrawn
  • edited November 2009
    Cheers people, you know what it's like when you've hit the big cards and then nobody calls and your shouting at the screen hoping somebody does call, its a tough one but thanks.
  • edited November 2009
    Its worse when you have these in the bb and everyone folds round to you, and all you get is the small blind
  • edited November 2009
    keep it going, limping gives others the odds to limp with you with rubbish, a board that may seem quite dry for example a J 72 rainbow, is probably very dangerous with 4 other people with you in the pot!
  • edited November 2009
    Keep raising 3x, you will still get called quite often as people seem to believe its a good idea to see lots of flops early on (wrong attitude). Even if u steal the limps/blinds you're making a +EV move (making money in the long run) which is better than ending up with AA 6way and getting sucked out on all the time (its unlikely you're laying aces down).
  • edited November 2009
    Its like, such a broad question. When the blinds are smaller I tend to raise 3.5-4x, and when stacks get like ~eff20BB's I raise 2.5x.

Theres nothing wrong with your sizing but there are situations where its fine to slowplay bre, but very very rarely when you're first in the pot.

These situations are somewhat hard to spot, and its never a massive mistake to raise, or re-raise them pre, so if you're new-ish, i'd just play them straight forward.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: early on in sit and go's with high pockets:
    Cheers people, you know what it's like when you've hit the big cards and then nobody calls and your shouting at the screen hoping somebody does call, its a tough one but thanks.
    Posted by Raiser99
    I can honestly say I do not know what this is like.
  • edited November 2009
    u  did nothing  with  your  raise   u dont  want  multi  callers  when  u  have  aces   1   2  at  the  most
  • edited November 2009
    chances are they will fold to any decent raise.  I tend to raise 5 or 6 times the bb. that way if they do call, I am getting my money's worth.