You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double Your Money 1st hand dilemma

This is a £22 DYM first hand. I like to play a wide range early to see some flops and the following hand arose.

I haven't played this hand great - especially the min raise on river. My question is.......

Is this an insta call or a fold and give myself time to recover? I'll post my actions later on.
KEVO282 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1990.00
Villain  Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

bluemoysey Fold     
phil12uk Call  20.00 50.00 1980.00
pokermom66 Fold     
CoxyLboro Fold     
KEVO282 Fold     
Villain Check     
Flop

Villain Check     
phil12uk Bet  40.00 90.00 1940.00
Villain Call  40.00 130.00 1940.00
Turn

Villain  Check     
phil12uk Bet  80.00 210.00 1860.00
Villain Call  80.00 290.00 1860.00
River

Villain Bet  290.00 580.00 1570.00
phil12uk Raise  580.00 1160.00 1280.00
Villain All-in  1570.00 2730.00 0.00

Comments

• edited November 2009
      Tough position. You have called with suited cards so you are really flush hunting, there are only 3 to the flush on the board so it seems to be exactly what you have asked for.  If you are going to be scared of a higher flush being about then you shouldnt have played those cards in the first place.

You have the third nuts only losing to A or K flush. The villain has played it like a drawing hand but it could be straight or flush. With the straight on the board he could easily make that raise with a raggy 9 or just because he believes that it will be split.

For me having gone that deep looking for the flush i dont think you can lay it down. You have put in nearly half your stack to hit it. Why would you go that deep looking for your miracle card and then fold when you hit it. So for me it would be a call just because of the amount invested. If he has a better flush then so be it.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd say if you wasn't prepared to push all-in i would of called his bet.

For me it would of been an insta call as the best hand i could put him on there is 9 10. I don't beleive he's got a flush, that's beating you anyway, as K or A suited i would of been raising pre-flop with one limper.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm calling him Phil, he's either got a 9, or he's representing because there's a straight out and he thinks if you call it's a split.
  • edited November 2009

A fingers crossed call.

Hopefully he doesn't have an ace or King flush.

Harsh if he has, but I think he is representing something and knows a big bet may put you off.

I don't see a massive issue with your re raise as you do have the third nuts.

If he held a hand like ace 2 or king 3 hearts then doubtless a preflop check would have been in order.

• edited November 2009
    If you dont call this, what do you call with? I'd understand if there was four hearts on the board, but the only hand beating you is K or A hearts with a heart kicker. Call and if you lose then so be it, thats poker, but if you fold it will play on your mind i think.
  • edited November 2009
    Id have to call as well, wouldnt be entirely happy about it but really couldnt get away from this hand after already putting in a good chunk of my stack. 
  • edited November 2009
    definete call for me
  • edited November 2009
    Call call call!

Sure you're losing to a AK flush but he's shoving with a 9 or stealing here alot of the time.
  • edited November 2009
    I would definately call.  But knowing how the cards play on SkyPoker he will have the flush to the A ;-).

Only kidding, I would definately call. Cross your fingers and call.
  • edited November 2009
    Fold pre.

Check back turn.

Call river.
  • edited November 2009
    I have to say that I'd be calling this, why else would you play Q7 suited? It's entirely possible that he's got an A/K high flush too but if he has then so be it. I don't think an A/K high flush turns up here often enough to worry about it.

However, having said all that I don't play anywhere near these levels so could be wrong.
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009

call   phil      think  u  got  beat   cause  he  had  a  bigger  flush

• edited November 2009
    knowing  u  think  u  lay  your  hand  down    too  early  in  the  touney  to  bust   out
  • edited November 2009
    Hi phil

I go with the general concensus on this one and say call.  

I think you are expecting to be the one to push all in once you get your flush and give him a decision to make, so when he does it to you, you think hmmm, is he beating me? But with the chips invested, i think you are comitted to believing a flush to queen wins, and like others say, there are plenty of hands that you are beating that he could be going all in with.  
  • edited November 2009
    Also you should be folding preflop indeed.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money 1st hand dilemma:
       I think you are expecting to be the one to push all in once you get your flush and give him a decision to make
    Posted by Buistyboy
    Why?

I'd rather just make it an easy call tbh
  • edited November 2009
    Cmon Phil the suspense is killing me.

Did you get bust out by king 2 hearts?
  • edited November 2009
    Well, that's a fine mess you've got yourself into.
    Even with no knowledge of the villain I'd call (but I'm a station).

If I was in his position and I had two overs to the board and a flush draw, I'd be playing it far more agressively on the flop and turn (against a decent opponent!). Therefore, I'd restrict the possible hands that are beating me to Ace-rags and King-rags of hearts. Next, I'd rule out the King-rags since I think (if he's not a nutter) he would just call your river raise as he could well put you on the nut flush (or he's very brave). So, I'm only worried about Ace-rags and definitely think I'm getting the odds to balance this against him being a nutter/extreme optimist.

• edited November 2009
    I would definitely call.
    You played the cards to hit a flush and now you have there is nothing to think about.
    I think villian played 9 10 o/s and is trying to steal the pot.
  • edited November 2009
    Well I did have a good old think and also smacked myself in the head for doing the novice play of min raising the river without the nuts.  Eventually, as many of u said, i called and was ready to reload another game.  Luckily he flipped over K9 (no hearts) for a straight.  The moral of the story...........never min raise!!!!! It causes so many headaches and never really achieves its purpose.

Thx for feedback all :)
  • edited November 2009
    Glad it worked our well for you.

You had the third nuts at the end of the day, I know the game was early and an embarrasing exit is certainly not what you want.

But in all fairness, you know as well as I that folding the third nuts at every sign of aggression would not put your roll where it is today.
  • edited November 2009
    shut your eyes, call, open them and pray your still in the tournament
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    I think this was probably the best answer of the lot.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    My battery in the lappy went once, just literally a second after I pushed all in post flop with queens on the cash bubble and a low board.

It stayed on just long enough to see I had a caller.

That was a painful few minutes while I rebooted, I can tell you.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money 1st hand dilemma : My battery in the lappy went once, just literally a second after I pushed all in post flop with queens on the cash bubble and a low board. It stayed on just long enough to see I had a caller. That was a painful few minutes while I rebooted, I can tell you.
    Posted by Hale72
    Did they hold up then?
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, but I never found out what the other fella called with.

I had not found the hand history box at that stage of my poker life!

I asked, but no one replied, it left the caller so short, he went out next hand. (which I also missed)