You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what do we do on the river?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
check behind or bet for value? i often find that whichever i do in a situation like this i have made the wrong descion
layerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
newstar Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £15.38
qazokm Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £10.68
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

mattless Fold        
jams88 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £13.05
AFFMAHEED Fold        
Jacksam Call   £0.30 £0.75 £4.18
newstar Call   £0.25 £1.00 £15.13
qazokm Call   £0.20 £1.20 £10.48
Flop

newstar Check        
qazokm Check        
jams88 Bet   £0.90 £2.10 £12.15
Jacksam Fold        
newstar Call   £0.90 £3.00 £14.23
qazokm Fold        
Turn

newstar Check        
jams88 Bet   £2.20 £5.20 £9.95
newstar Call   £2.20 £7.40 £12.03
River

• K

newstar Check        
jams88 Bet   £2.70 £10.10 £7.25
newstar Raise   £5.40 £15.50 £6.63
jams88 Call   £2.70 £18.20 £4.55
newstar Show
  • K

jams88 Muck
  • J
  • J

newstar Win Two Pairs, Kings and 10s £16.83   £23.46

Comments

• edited June 2012
    check fold this river. I know its easier said than done.
  • edited June 2012

Check call river unless he jams, then fold

• edited June 2012
    Chaps, we're in position so check-folding or check-calling isn't possible.

Anyway, a value bet's fine after he checks to you. You've just been unlucky to be outdrawn but after he checks you shouldn't put him on a King. It's only a thin value bet but his line looks most like a Ten (Which is exactly what he had until he sucked out). You should bet a little bit more actually. About half-pot is probably fine to get value from a Ten.

When he check-raises the minimum it's probably alright to call because of the pot odds. 6/1 odds means he only has to be doing something weird one time in seven for it to be a break even call. If he'd raised more then you should fold because he's very unlikely to raise with worse than JJ here.

Checking behind wouldn't be terrible but it would be missing value in the long term.
  • edited June 2012
    b/f but hey oppo can't have a king right - sigh
  • edited June 2012
    dam click raises curiousity often gets the better of me. Nearly checked behind on the river but then thought essentially the 10 was a blank so was missing value, sigh wrong again
  • edited June 2012
    the value bet was good, but I doubt he's ever raising with worse than JJ. He's never raising 10x for value that's for sure. Only K10 really makes sense

I'd only check behind if I'm vs villain who's awesome and is capable of outplaying me a lot of the time
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: what do we do on the river?:
    dam click raises curiousity often gets the better of me. Nearly checked behind on the river but then thought essentially the King was a blank so was missing value, sigh wrong again
    Posted by jams88
    I assume you meant the King... but you weren't wrong. You made a good value bet and were unlucky. KT is literally the only King in his range. The wrong decision would have been to check it back. Don't be results orientated...

The call is just one of those things. I'd make it because it's so small and weird. The pot-odds are excellent so it's a very defensible call. I don't think you made any real mistake in this hand.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: what do we do on the river?:
    In Response to Re: what do we do on the river? : I assume you meant the King... but you weren't wrong. You made a good value bet and were unlucky. KT is literally the only King in his range. The wrong decision would have been to check it back. Don't be results orientated... The call is just one of those things. I'd make it because it's so small and weird. The pot-odds are excellent so it's a very defensible call. I don't think you made any real mistake in this hand.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    yeah meant king. Thanks for the input all nice to hear there is not much wrong maybe i am slowly getting better at this game